The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A 15 year old boy in search of lums

wee_pwoer2003

• Total Posts: 2
A 15 year old boy in search of lums Wed, 07/2/03 4:07 PM (permalink)
does anybody know if there is a lums somewhere near lake ontario or wayne county. it would mean a lot to my dad if we could find one. if nobdy knows then does somebody at least know what they made there secret sauce out of or where i could get some? My dad once had a friend who worked there and he said it came in sort of a powder mixture.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
    RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Wed, 07/2/03 10:16 PM (permalink)
    wee, as far as I know, the Lum's chain is totally defunct. They weren't in the area where I grew up, so I don't know what the "secret sauce" was like. I did a little searching today, and although it may not help, this was all I found:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/ccL/l48.html

I wish you and your Dad well...

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
      RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Wed, 07/2/03 11:22 PM (permalink)
      Bushie

What a great site! Love the Kichen Charts section, particularly the heirloom conversion chart, I have a lot of older cookbooks with those kind of measurments.

• Total Posts: 335
        RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Thu, 07/3/03 1:56 AM (permalink)
        I ate at a Lums restaurant in Plattsburgh, NY, (just south of the Canadian border) three years ago while on vacation.

RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Thu, 07/3/03 2:05 AM (permalink)
          Upon doing some research there is a location at the following addresses. I can't guarantee you that they're still in business, unfortunately. Five Internet "Yellow Pages" sites list it after entering the name "Lums" under New York state.

3317 Chambers Rd., Horseheads, NY 14845 (607) 739-0029

Overland

• Total Posts: 9
            RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Thu, 07/3/03 8:35 AM (permalink)

Here's one that's a little closer, call before going, don't know how up-to-date this info is:

Lum's Restaurants
            191 Grant Avenue
            Auburn, New York 13021
            315-252-4383

Grant Ave. is Route 5 east from downtown, maybe 1 mile out. It's in the Grant Ave Plaza. Hope this helps.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
              RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Thu, 07/3/03 9:12 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by ocdreamr

Bushie

What a great site! Love the Kichen Charts section, particularly the heirloom conversion chart, I have a lot of older cookbooks with those kind of measurments.

Hi OC. That's the website of fellow Roadfooder "Stogie". Lots of great tips and recipes on there. I use it a lot these days.

drpep

RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Sun, 07/6/03 10:20 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by McFan

Upon doing some research there is a location at the following addresses. I can't guarantee you that they're still in business, unfortunately. Five Internet "Yellow Pages" sites list it after entering the name "Lums" under New York state.

3317 Chambers Rd., Horseheads, NY 14845 (607) 739-0029

They are still in business and their commercials run on TV all the time

Laughing Goddess

• Total Posts: 89
                  RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Wed, 07/9/03 2:43 AM (permalink)
                  Last one I saw was in White River Junction, Vermont -- but that was in 1996. The phone # is listed as 802-295-3691, but I don't know if it's still there.

Let us know if you find one still open!

Gobbs

RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Sun, 07/13/03 9:16 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by wee_pwoer2003

does anybody know if there is a lums somewhere near lake ontario or wayne county. it would mean a lot to my dad if we could find one. if nobdy knows then does somebody at least know what they made there secret sauce out of or where i could get some? My dad once had a friend who worked there and he said it came in sort of a powder mixture.

Loved lums in Florida in 1952.... if you find them post-it they had great sauerkraut.

Gobbs

RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Sun, 07/13/03 10:22 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Bushie

wee, as far as I know, the Lum's chain is totally defunct. They weren't in the area where I grew up, so I don't know what the "secret sauce" was like. I did a little searching today, and although it may not help, this was all I found:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/ccL/l48.html

I wish you and your Dad well...

BEER was the secret.... hot beer in sauerkraut juice... bombs could not go off any louder than you on the way out and they only cost $1.00 for a fat HOt Dog....

docwendy

RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Wed, 08/6/03 10:11 AM (permalink)
                        quote:

docwendy

RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Wed, 08/6/03 10:15 AM (permalink)
                          quote:

I used to work at Lum's years ago. The Ollie seasoning was of 2 types- Ollie red was mixed with water and brushed on the burgers. Ollie blue was shaken on fries. They never let us know what was in them. I did see a Lum's just last week in a small town near Hornell, NY which was open, but many of them are run independently now and don't carry the old chain stuff. I have heard of one in Kentucky that still has Ollie burgers. Or try looking up the old Ollie's Trolley restaurants that started the Lum's chain. By the way, Lums was purchased by Weinerwald of Germany in the late 70's so maybe there's a link to that somehwhere. Good luck!

cooper

• Total Posts: 14
                            RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Sun, 09/7/03 12:16 PM (permalink)
                            Hello:

I do know that there is a Lum's still operating down in Horseheads, New York across from the Arnot Mall. The Lum's in Auburn, New York may have closed. Not really sure, but I think that it has. Easy way to find out is to call information for the listing. Happy hunting.

wallhd

RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Sun, 09/7/03 4:29 PM (permalink)
                              Lum's is still operating in Plattsburgh, NY. They are on NYS Rt 3 just a stone's throw east of the stoplights which give aceess to Exit 37, I-87.

I think that there is still a Lum's across Lake Champlain in Burlington or South Burlington, VT, but I can't verify that for sure.

Wally

wallhd

RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Sun, 09/7/03 4:38 PM (permalink)
                                A search of Vermont Restuarants thru Google only lists the Lum's here in Plattsburgh, NY, so evidently there isn't one in the Burlington, VT area any longer. About 1 1/2 years ago I spent 4 1/2 L-O-N-G days in White River Jct, VT at a training seminar. The Lum's I remembered years ago in WRJ wasn't there then. For breakfast and dinner each day, I drove the 2 miles or so to the 4 Aces Diner across the CT. River in West Lebanon, NH FWIW.

Wally

Argent

• Total Posts: 125
                                  RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Sun, 09/7/03 7:16 PM (permalink)
                                  there is a Lums Still open in woodbidge va , About 30 mi south of Washington DC , I belive its at the corner of RT 1 and 123

srca1941

• Total Posts: 1
                                    RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Sat, 12/18/04 11:22 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    I have heard of one in Kentucky that still has Ollie burgers.

For anyone still looking, yes! Ollie’s Trolley is in downtown Louisville on the corner of 3rd and Kentucky. I got an Ollie Burger and fries there just yesterday. The seasoning on the fries seems skimpier than when I first had them a few years ago, but of my parents say that overall the food still tastes the same as years ago.

-Steve

Flat_Mattress

• Total Posts: 3
                                      RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Sat, 01/22/05 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                      My father used used to me out to a Lums for lunch in Columbia(MO). The Restaurant was closed in the early 1970's and I have not seen one since then.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                                        RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Mon, 01/9/06 12:20 AM (permalink)
                                        Has anyone confirmed an open Lum's? If so can anyone tell me from new info or remembered what Root Beer they served in the late 60's? I am thinking it was Hires Root Beer but age is catching up with me.

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
                                          RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Mon, 01/9/06 7:18 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Root-Beer Man

Has anyone confirmed an open Lum's? If so can anyone tell me from new info or remembered what Root Beer they served in the late 60's? I am thinking it was Hires Root Beer but age is catching up with me.

Go to the "search" button above and type in Lum's. You'll be directed to several previous RF sites (including "long-gone regional chains") where there is extensive discussion on Lum's. There is at least one Lum's definitely open in S. Florida in Davie, near Ft. Lauderdale which QFan and others have posted on.

QFan
                                          Bonita Springs, FL

RedSoxFanEB

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: A 15 year old boy in search of lums Tue, 09/18/07 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                            Sadly the Lum's in Plattsburgh went out of business last week (I worked there so I would know)...I believe there may be on Lum's left in Flordia.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com