The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cream of Crab Soup

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
Cream of Crab Soup Sun, 09/19/04 6:46 PM (permalink)
I did a search on here to make sure there was no other mention of this soup. I feel a bit timid starting a thread, because I'm not good at restaurant reviews. Plus I digress way too much. It's a problem, so I usually stick to adding to existing threads. However, I had to mention two places in Chincoteague, Virginia, where the cream of crab soup was "SLAMMIN'"!! My daughter and I just returned back home last night from there. The first place we had it was at Bill's Seafood Restaurant on Main St. I would recommend this place not only for this soup, but for the professional service and just the nice, laid-back (yet kinda semi-elegant) quality of the place. The soup was creamy, of course, not too thin, not too thick, had nice chunks of crab in it (ever have soup or chowder where you couldn't see what the soup was about, where it was just flavored and there were no pieces to prove this was the soup you ordered?) and it was spicy enough where I had to get up and go into the ladies' room and blow my nose (lol). That was the first place. The second place is called Ray's Shanty and is on Route 175 in Wattsville. It's close to the NASA Visitor's Center and NOAA. It looks like a dark green house. This place caters to the locals and I'm glad we went. It was recommended by one of our field reps at work who lives in VA Beach. The soup was a dollar cheaper at $3.95 for a big bowl that I couldn't finish! The crab chunks were smaller, but honestly, the overall dining experience was a bit more roadfoodish and felt even more comfortable to us. Lots of people, families with small children etc. who go to seaside towns are too tired, too worn out by their younguns to schlep even slightly out of town, so they go more locally and they basically get roped into those buffets or whatever. They don't want to drive even a few miles out of town to get something with more quality.

Anyway, since this is about soup I won't mention the "bangin'" hushpuppies at Ray's or the outrageously good softshells...but I guess it's too late since I just did. We will return to this place. The service here was also friendly, unpretentious and quick.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com