The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Kroger's and Starbuck's

• Total Posts: 335
Kroger's and Starbuck's Sat, 10/2/04 7:38 PM (permalink)
I have noticed that within the last few months two Kroger groceries outside of Dayton, Ohio, have had Starbuck's coffee shops built inside. Is this happening elsewhere?

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Sat, 10/2/04 9:39 PM (permalink)
    I have not, but I did notice today that Starbuck's announced a price increase effective next week.
    Does anyone here pay the $5 for a coffee?

carl reitz

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
      RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Sat, 10/2/04 9:53 PM (permalink)
      Not this chef! Somebody please slap me if I fork over $5 for coffee!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Sat, 10/2/04 11:39 PM (permalink)
        I don't even like coffee! Except once in a great while iced or with a liquer added. Funny too because both of my parents were BIG time coffee drinkers.

Starbuck's sure has pulled the wool over a lot of peoples eyes.

MikeS.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Sat, 10/2/04 11:48 PM (permalink)
          Starbucks has been involved with the Albertsons chain and their other owned chains such as Acme here in the Philly area for 4 or 5 years.
          It has been a win-win for both Starbucks and the supermarkets that have the coffee purveyor in them.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
            RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Sun, 10/3/04 12:30 AM (permalink)
            The Shaw's near my house has had a Starbucks in it for years.

Somebody wanna explain to me exactly where they're selling all these $5 coffees? I got the same coffee I always get this very morning: Venti Light Roast, room for cream. Cost: a whopping $1.72. $1.72 ain't $5.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Sun, 10/3/04 1:13 AM (permalink)
              I go with a Grande coffee of the day (usually something classified as bold)in a Starbucks thermal mug everyday. Cost: $1.59

dug

• Total Posts: 213
                RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Sun, 10/3/04 2:14 AM (permalink)
                we here in chicago have starbucks[as soon as you walk in] in several of our dominics[owned by safeway i beleive] food stores!

leslie1787

• Total Posts: 105
                  RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Sun, 10/3/04 2:31 AM (permalink)
                  Read this today - Starbucks is going to have a price increase come Wednesday approx .11 per cup

"Apparently, $3.40 for vanilla latte doesn't bring in enough cash for Starbucks to offset the rapidly rising cost of coffee beans and milk."

The average cost of a coffee drink at Starbucks is about $3.50, the popular frappachino(sp) is a little over $4 and tax and something in the tip jar and you'll come close to $5. Let's say you have a 5 day a week habit at $4.00 a shot (cause it is difficult to get out of there less than 4) that comes to $1040 a year, for something that is mostly water ground beans and a splash o milk- nonfat at that! Home brewed comes to what? anywhere from .25 to .45 a cup (if that) about $117 a year. So, brew it at home, put it in a Starbuck's thermos and buy yourself something really nice. Like an espresso machine or even better stock in Starbucks.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
                    RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Sun, 10/3/04 5:10 AM (permalink)
                    I paid nearly $500 for my current espresso/cappuccino/coffee/make you happy in the morning machine. I'm not forking out $5 for a cup of Joe that's not nearly as good as my bowl of cappuccino! That's why I get the paper delivered (no matter where I live) and always have a good coffee machine on hand.....after the paper and some awesome java, I'm ready for work! Well, as much as anyone can be ready for work!

wilewil

• Total Posts: 99
                      RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Mon, 10/4/04 1:23 PM (permalink)
                      Many newer Safeways in this area have StarBUCKS outlets inside. My local one has them, a bank, and a laundry/dry cleaners, oh yeah and food too.

Goose

• Total Posts: 81
                        RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Mon, 10/4/04 1:42 PM (permalink)
                        You know, it's not like I'm a playa or anything, but the nice baristas at my semi-regular stop sell me a grande for a buck.

Pays to be nice and polite sometimes.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3548
                          RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Mon, 10/4/04 3:18 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by CheeseWit

Starbucks has been involved with the Albertsons chain and their other owned chains such as Acme here in the Philly area for 4 or 5 years.
                          It has been a win-win for both Starbucks and the supermarkets that have the coffee purveyor in them.

Here in CA I've found Starbucks in both Albertsons and Vons (Safeway). They always seem crowded there. I guess it is a good move3 for both. The two times IU have tried to buy coffee at them I've had negative experiences though. They need to improve the quality and/or training of their employees!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Mon, 10/4/04 4:01 PM (permalink)
                            We dont have Krogers on this side of the state anymore... But on the eastside such as Detroit, I couldnt tell you... But we do have a Starbucks in the local D&W Grocery Stores... Never tried them... I feel my home made coffee is better then anything a chain can offer... (Not to mention I get tons of free coffee from various places around town)... But when I was down in Indiana a couple weeks ago, I went to the local Krogers down there (New Castle, IN).. And cant say I recall any Starbucks being sold there either... I'll be going back this weekend... I'll do a better look and let ya know! Also might wander into Indianapolis for some fun... I'll try to stop in one of the Krogers there and let ya know if I see one or not...

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                              RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Tue, 10/5/04 11:00 AM (permalink)
                              If you really like coffee, Starbucks is hardly the place to go. that said if you live east of the Sierra Mountains then perhaps Starbucks may very well be the only coffee action in town and if you can find a Peets Coffee house you may be in luck.
                              We here on the West coast know coffee, We have the best. From Seattle to San Francisco Bay (LA is not included I think LA might be somewhere in Mexico) and if your coffee house does not roast it's own coffee then there is no sense to even walk into the place, And by the way it's a 'coffee house' not a coffee shop and drinking coffee out at a super market is down right laughable.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                                RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Tue, 10/5/04 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                Uh...Hate to disagree...but there's mighty fine coffee in...
                                New Orleans
                                Boston
                                Baltimore
                                Manchester
                                Portland
                                NYC

...and everywhere in between on the east coast....I know San Fran and all the drizzly NW states have good stuff...but it's a pleasure to drink coffee in sunny weather, too.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                                  RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Tue, 10/5/04 11:52 AM (permalink)
                                  Route 11: .................. I stand corrected you folks do have some good coffee houses but the word here is "some." We here have them on every other street corner. you folks have them every 500 miles.. Linda and I are just off a 8,000 mile road trip to the East coast and had some good coffee in Portland Maine, Boston's north side ..... and we do love the chicory coffee at Cafe Du Monde or was it the beignets that make the coffee tastes so good. What I will say is that the East coast food is the best.........

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Tue, 10/5/04 12:14 PM (permalink)
                                    Not being a heavy coffee drinker I can report fairly objectively...Starbucks is making money for it's investors.
                                    One of the better marketing efforts they have created was the link between Starbucks and Barnes & Noble, to put a coffee bar and sitting area inside the B&N bookstores was/is a stroke of genius.

fpczyx- Be careful you don't mix your evaluation of "Little finger lifting tilt-cup foaming Yuppie coffee" with the real item as served at many truck stops across the country...Black as tar, Cream as thick as pea soup, over 75% caffeine power base and served in heavy china cups 'cuz thats what it takes to stop the stuff from eating thru the bottom of the cup before it gets to work in your system. It ain't a Buffy and Skippy Mocha whipped sipping stuff. It is a paint-removin',good for another 300 miles alert kind of beverage.
                                    The two are worlds apart.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                                      RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Tue, 10/5/04 12:25 PM (permalink)
                                      Some of the Kroger stores around Columbus now have Starbucks counters. As for me, I wouldn;t buy Starbucks coffee under any circumstances. For that matter, I have absolutely no interest in drinking coffee at a place that has more than one size cup.

Lucky Bishop

RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Tue, 10/5/04 3:42 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by fpczyz
                                        We here on the West coast know coffee, We have the best.

Baloney. In Boston, we have George Howell. And therefore WE have the best.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                                          RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Tue, 10/5/04 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                          I think I might be the only person over 40 who has never, ever, ever, ever evereverever made a purchase of any Starbucks product.

Including stock :-)

queenb

• Total Posts: 120
                                            RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Tue, 10/5/04 11:38 PM (permalink)
                                            No, there's at least two of us, TJ! I love my coffee, and a bunch of it first thing, but put me on the list of folks who are not about to pay the price of a whole pound of coffee for one cup! If I have to get coffeee on the road , I definately stay away from Starbucks, Caribou or any of the imitators; I usually look for a truck stop!

Lucky Bishop

RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Tue, 10/5/04 11:53 PM (permalink)
                                              I repeat (and repeat and repeat and repeat, apparently): I regularly go to Starbucks and pay a measly $1.72 for 20 ounces of very good black coffee, to which I add my own personal preferred level of cream (very little) and sugar (absolutely none). Less than 69 cents for 8 ounces of coffee, which I guaran-damn-tee you is less than you're paying for a first cup of truckstop coffee. For the love of god, will somebody PLEASE tell me why you think that's such an incredible ripoff????????????????????

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                                                RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Wed, 10/6/04 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                                Lucky Bishop: Have you had your coffee today? Are you okay?

I think everyone's talking about the deluxe coffees they have.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                                  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Wed, 10/6/04 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                                  Lucky,
                                                  I think you need to choose the De-Caf pot for a couple of days..then lay off the No-Doz for a week. Drink a little O J or milk for awhile!
                                                  FYI- The local Speedway fuel stops are pushing their various flavored coffee's for "Any Size" (up to 24 oz) for 89 cents. Now thats pretty close to the price of Mountain Dew, which would be my first choice for a breakfast wake-up beverage.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                                                    RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Wed, 10/6/04 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I think I might be the only person over 40 who has never, ever, ever, ever evereverever made a purchase of any Starbucks product.

Including stock :-)

Not quite.

santacruz

• Total Posts: 372
                                                      RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Wed, 10/6/04 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                                      I only use Starbucks if there is nothing else available. In the bay area you have great little places everywhere, some with oak roasted beans (Mr. Espresso Oakland CA.) and of course we have Peets which is heads above Starbucks.

I usually make my own useing a cheap Italian ceramic Melita drip with filters, spring water, 5 Tblspns. of Good Trader Joe's or Peets coffee beans freshly ground,1 Tblspn, of pure Maple syrup and top with a litle half and half

Lucky Bishop

RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Wed, 10/6/04 2:47 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Route 11

Lucky Bishop: Have you had your coffee today? Are you okay?

I think everyone's talking about the deluxe coffees they have.

But that's a false comparison, and I think an unfair one. Comparing the price of some frou-frou concoction to the price of a plain cup of coffee is ludicrous and misleading. All I'm saying is that when you're looking at the prices of similar products -- plain cups of coffee -- Starbucks is entirely competitively priced.

lamertz

• Total Posts: 290
                                                          • Location: Key West, FL
                                                          RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Thu, 10/7/04 11:30 AM (permalink)
                                                          I hear you LB--anything more than a plain cup of coffee and you are paying for FOAM. That's the whole show,ya know? I think that the Star$$ is an amazing piece of superb marketing and has now filtered down to the masses. I see them in the Target stores. I love my coffee and,when pressed,I have found myself buying a cup at SB and sometimes the package of beans. I travel a lot and sometimes this is all I can find. If there is an alternative place to buy the beans or a cup (Peet's is a great choice) or some local people who do there own roasting,I'll go for that.

dkp

• Total Posts: 57
                                                            RE: Kroger's and Starbuck's Thu, 10/7/04 11:02 PM (permalink)
                                                            Starbucks? Coffee? More like hot milk!! We have Satellite Coffee here in Albuquerque that puts SB to shame. Cheaper too!! I like my Latte HOT 175-180 degrees, and until recently had to practically fight with SB to get it that way. Told Satellite one time and have never had to ask again, unless it was a new server, which also doesn't happen as often as SB.
                                                            Did you also know that Seattle Coffe is now owned by Starbucks? It's true.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com