The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Charlotte to Lexington NC -- where ?

nascarfans_wny

• Total Posts: 1
Charlotte to Lexington NC -- where ? Tue, 10/5/04 10:43 AM (permalink)
We'll be in Charlotte in two weekends for the NASCAR Nextel Cup race, and having missed it last year (my wife's family wanted to go to Outback for dinner) we definitely want to find some NC BBQ this time around. We'll be visiting race shops on Friday in Mooresville and Lexington. Where should we plan to go for a great pulled-pork BBQ lunch ?

TNX for your help,

KEN
Rochester NY

brentk

• Total Posts: 251
    RE: Charlotte to Lexington NC -- where ? Tue, 10/5/04 11:19 AM (permalink)
    If you only have one lunch to give to your quest for BBQ, the place to go is Lexington #1, which is on Business 85 (not to be confused with I-85) in Lexington. There are lots of BBQ joints in the area, but this one stands above and beyond the rest in its devotion to traditional pit cooked BBQ over hardwood coals.

If you like burnt ends in your BBQ, make sure you ask for the BBQ "outside brown." They also have great cracklin' if you like that sort of thing.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
      RE: Charlotte to Lexington NC -- where ? Wed, 10/6/04 8:35 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Brent Kulman

If you only have one lunch to give to your quest for BBQ, the place to go is Lexington #1, which is on Business 85 (not to be confused with I-85) in Lexington. There are lots of BBQ joints in the area, but this one stands above and beyond the rest in its devotion to traditional pit cooked BBQ over hardwood coals.

If you like burnt ends in your BBQ, make sure you ask for the BBQ "outside brown." They also have great cracklin' if you like that sort of thing.

I wholeheartedly agree with what Brent just said. And be sure to get the large tray or plate of BBQ at # 1 so you will get the delicious hushpuppies and coleslaw. Man, I'd sure like to get in front of a large tray of chopped outside brown with some hushpuppies and sweet tea about now. We also always pick up a dozen or so bottles of their sauce (to use on pork loin simmered in a crockpot) to give us periodic fixes between our annual trips through North Carolina.

verysleepy

• Total Posts: 107
        RE: Charlotte to Lexington NC -- where ? Wed, 10/6/04 9:07 PM (permalink)
        Having just been doing the bbq route to Lexington, Raleigh, Wilson and Goldsboro last weekend, I am just about ready to eat again. Way too much food. My faves were Lexinton #1, Allen and Sons in Chapel Hill, and Wilber's in Goldsboro. Though.. the fried chicken at Parker's in Wilson was amazing.

Does anyone out there know the derivation of the Cheerwine soda? It tasted exactly like Dr. Brown Black Cherry soda, that we are used to, up here in NY.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com