The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer?

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 116 of 116
Scott -- DFW

• Total Posts: 34
RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Sun, 10/2/05 5:10 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ExtraMSG

The best [quesadillas], imo, are made empenada-style, where an uncooked tortilla is folded over cheese and/or other ingredients, then sealed up and cooked and possibly lightly fried.)

Here's one that fits that description, from La Hechizera in Dallas (with cheese and chorizo):

Scott

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Mon, 10/3/05 12:48 PM (permalink)
    For lunch, I just made a couple of tortilla and leftover bbq beef brisket "sandwiches"; one on corn and one on flour. The only thing I proved to myself is that you can't do a taste comparison when using this filling since brisket even tastes great on Wonder Bread. pb

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
      RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Mon, 10/3/05 1:34 PM (permalink)
      Flour!

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Wed, 10/5/05 6:12 PM (permalink)
        it's already been said, but for the record, flour for some meals, corn for others.
        You wouldn't make an tomale enchilada with a flour tortilla!
        The again, you wouldn't make a burrito with a corn tortilla.

As far as my opinion goes: while usually I prefer flour, because I make burritos most often, a good corn tortilla has MUCH more flavor than any flour tortilla.

Sandy Eggo

• Total Posts: 226
          RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Wed, 10/5/05 8:32 PM (permalink)
          Wanna try something that sounds crazy, but I guarantee you that it tastes great. It’s a lasagna burrito. That’s right. It’s best with freshly made lasagna that is not too gooey. You just cut a long serving, not too big, and roll it up in a flour tortilla like any burrito. Tastes good and it makes for “Italian” food on the go.

Sandy Eggo

• Total Posts: 226
            RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Wed, 10/5/05 8:34 PM (permalink)
            Scorereader, I wouldn't make a tamale with any tortilla. Their made with steamed masa.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
              RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Thu, 10/6/05 1:01 PM (permalink)
              oops. hold on

robicheaux

• Total Posts: 99
                RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Fri, 10/7/05 12:02 PM (permalink)
                nothing beats steamed corn tortillas with a little butter and salt

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                  RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Wed, 07/19/06 9:20 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by bill voss

I grew up in Kansas- originally corn tortilla territory. I don't remember ever experiencing the joys of flour tortillas ' til I ate at LaCumbre in the Mission District of SF, but what a revelation
                  We even have a fresh corn tortilla factory here in Southern Oregon, but I've been forever seduced by the lure of a good flour tortilla. Any dish seems better with flour tortillas to me.
                  Do you have a preference? Do you get fresh tortillas, corn or flour, where you live?

Jennie

• Total Posts: 389
                    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Sat, 07/22/06 2:58 PM (permalink)
                    Thanks for dredging this up from 9 months ago, Bill.

Mr. Jennie and I are on a low-carb diet (he's diabetic), and as tmiles pointed out, they only make low-carb tortillas out of wheat. But you can get either smaller white "soft-taco" size or the larger whole wheat "burrito" size. We use them as wraps daily for lunches spread with cream cheese and laden with various meats and cheeses. But we also make such wraps with Thai-marinaded lightly broiled London Broil strips spread with peanut sauce and sprinkled with lettuce or cabbage. Mighty fine. However, despite Zataar's use of them as an Asian wrap (and I can see the Peking Duck thing, yeah), they make lousy egg roll wrappers. I've tried. And I made mighty fine egg rolls, too. Sigh.

I do use them for a variety of Mexican dishes, including enchiladas. Now, I know you Mexipurists out there are groaning at that. But make me a low-carb corn tortilla and we'll talk.

We have, in Maryland, a chain of sandwich shops called "Roly Poly Sandwiches" http://www.rolypolyusa.com/ They offer low-carb wraps, and on the occasion of my being out of Fage yogurt, I'll spend my lunch hour going to the Roly Poly in Annapolis for lunch and hitting Trader Joe's on the way back to the office. I've often used their menu (available online at that site) for ideas for making home made wraps. Nummy! They offer both cold and grilled wraps. Both fabulous.

Their store locator map looks a bit . . . off to me. The whole Red State/Blue State thing. lol http://www.rolypolyusa.com/stores/stores.html

BTW, extramsg's flour tortilla photo brought to mind really good naan . . .

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                      RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Sat, 07/22/06 3:20 PM (permalink)
                      corn..unless it's those sinfully fresh made flour tortillas at the frontier restaurant.

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
                        RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Sat, 07/22/06 3:33 PM (permalink)
                        Right now my favorite is corn tortillas. Much more flavor to me than flour tortillas. In addition to that, my dear neighbors who supply me with freshly made tamales periodically, have their own tortilla business and are very succesful with it. And their tortillas are delicious and we use them all the time. Breakfast, lunch, dinner....it matters not.

Now I understand there may be times when a flour tortilla is preferred but as I said in opening, right now my favorite is corn.

Donna

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                          RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Mon, 08/7/06 5:01 PM (permalink)
                          Well I like corn tortillas and sometimes warm them up in the microwave for a few minutes then
                          put in my fillings.But sometimes for fajitas i like to have flour ones. It's very hard to find around here El Azteca flour tortillas.They are very thin and soft,and really like them.

Xu

• Total Posts: 39
                            RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Fri, 09/15/06 10:13 PM (permalink)
                            The El Azetca brand's is in just about every Safeway out here. They are good, agree.

I think I prefer flour, they're softer and don't make as much noise when I bite into them. Also, they're less likely to crack.

Other than that, corn'll do.

Jaybomb

• Total Posts: 29
                              RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Thu, 09/21/06 10:26 PM (permalink)
                              Corn 4 Life.

Corn trumps all, and flour blows. Flour tortillas are only tolerable when made crunchy.

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                                RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Thu, 09/21/06 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                for a burrito, it's gotta be flour.
                                heuvos rancheros, it's gotta be corn.
                                so says the hubster.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Fri, 09/22/06 12:27 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by xannie_01

for a burrito, it's gotta be flour.
                                  heuvos rancheros, it's gotta be corn.
                                  so says the hubster.

I sure hope it's flour for a burro.. But I have to ask, have you ever had a 14" corn tortillia for a burrito? (Had to ask)... Though it might make for one intresting Chimmy..

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Sun, 10/21/07 8:56 PM (permalink)

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                      RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Mon, 10/22/07 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                      For tacos and enchiladas I use corn tortillas. I just dip them briefly in about 2 inches of heated oil until they are soft and warm. My grandkids love them this way.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                        RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Tue, 10/23/07 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                        I agree w/ those who said corn is best for some things, and flour for others. I like flour for brisket tacos, and corn for enchiladas. Although a riend makes chicken enchiladas, using flour tortillas heated in chicken broth, that are awsome.

Has anyone tried the raw flour tortillas they sell from the cold case? You gotta cook em somehow.
                                        Joe

Xu

• Total Posts: 39
                                          RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Thu, 10/25/07 5:50 PM (permalink)
                                          Push comes to shove...FLOUR, the taste is a little more chewy or something, which I like.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Thu, 10/25/07 6:04 PM (permalink)

I can recall my afternoon babysitter making flour tortillas and after heating them, rubbing them with butter. That was the after-school snack for her son and I back in 1948-49 ! I still love that for snack food.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                              RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Fri, 10/26/07 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                              Al, those raw flour tortillas I mentioned must be baked. I have a friend that says they are WAY better than the already cooked ones. Like you, I love a fresh baked flour tortilla. Some good butter is all I need with those.
                                              Joe

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Fri, 10/26/07 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                                I love a good home made flour tortilla(butter is a must!)but I find myself drifting over to the corn tortillas more often these days.I prefer tacos, enchiladas etc. with the corn.

JakerDog

• Total Posts: 204
                                                  RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Wed, 11/21/07 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  I gotta go with flour. Rolled or folded thay hold up. They also crip up nicely compared to the corn. Corn stays kind of rubbery and none confomist with whatever you are putting on them. They are good for soup though.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                                                    RE: Corn vs. Flour tortillas: which do you prefer? Thu, 11/22/07 5:16 AM (permalink)
                                                    Hello All,
                                                    I am a lover of the flour tortilla. It is more soft and flexible.
                                                    But my daughter prefers corn. All that matter is satisfaction.
                                                    Take Care,
                                                    Fieldthistle

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                      Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 116 of 116

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com