Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cheese on Top or Bottom.....?

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
  • Roadfood Insider
Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 12:29 AM (permalink)
I remember growing up as a kid the cheese was always on the bottom of a pizza (mainly on frozen pizzas when they where still something to brag about)... What I mean is there's the crust, the sauce the cheese then the toppings... Then about 25 years ago in my teenage years when I discovered the local pizza shop (Forest Hills Pizza - Long Gone and greatly missed), they put the cheese on last... I thought I was in culinary luxury when I seen that! (Hey, I was a kid, what else did I know)... But if you had a fresh hot pie, it seems like the whole thing, toppings and all would slide off in one cheesy chunk... I see pies made both ways today and was curious if you prefer the cheese on top or bottom???
My personal preference is cheese on the bottom now! Seems the toppings cook better in my opinion... (though if hot and fresh, you still get a sliding glob)...

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
    RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 1:34 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I see pies made both ways today and was curious if you prefer the cheese on top or bottom???

Yes.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
      RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 9:00 AM (permalink)
      I have been making Pizza for over thirty years and you never ever put the cheese on last!Why?One reason is the first bite you take ,all the cheese is gonna run down on your chin.two,How are all the toppings like meat gonna cook?Three,Thats just the way I do it,if you dont like call Dominos!

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
        RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 9:58 AM (permalink)
        hmm, i always do half and half. Dough, then sauce, light cheese, toppings then another light layer of cheese. Always works well and nothing falls off.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17852
          RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 10:49 AM (permalink)
          When I make my own it's olive oil and garlic, then seeded, chopped tomatoes, then oregano, then Parmigiano Reggiano, and finally a little fresh basil.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
            RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 10:54 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by renfrew

hmm, i always do half and half. Dough, then sauce, light cheese, toppings then another light layer of cheese. Always works well and nothing falls off.

I thought I was the only one to do it like that!

Tony Bad

RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 10:54 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              But if you had a fresh hot pie, it seems like the whole thing, toppings and all would slide off in one cheesy chunk... I see pies made both ways today and was curious if you prefer the cheese on top or bottom???
              My personal preference is cheese on the bottom now! Seems the toppings cook better in my opinion... (though if hot and fresh, you still get a sliding glob)...

What are these "toppings" you speak of?

Just kidding...in my part of the world, the vast majority of pizza is just plain old cheese pie. If, however, there are toppings to be added, they are placed on top.

plb

RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 12:59 PM (permalink)
                A favorite at Pizza King/Sir Pizza is "Extra Cheese" which is cheese on top in addition to the regular cheese on bottom.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                  RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 2:54 PM (permalink)
                  Meats and veggies last. I like my toppings to have a LITTLE crispiness to them. IF I'm ever at a place I haven't tried before I always ask for the TOPPINGS on TOP.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                    RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 3:13 PM (permalink)
                    I like the taste of the cheese when it gets a bit browned - so it's on top for me.

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 11/10/04 10:43 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by jellybear

I have been making Pizza for over thirty years and you never ever put the cheese on last!Why?One reason is the first bite you take ,all the cheese is gonna run down on your chin.two,How are all the toppings like meat gonna cook?Three,Thats just the way I do it,if you dont like call Dominos!

I agree! For them places that put cheese on the top, I always ask to have my pepperoni put on top so they get crunchy! Nothing worse then limp greasy pepperoni hidden under some cheese...

Oh ya, Dominos? I'll go to the grocery store first and doctor up a frozen pizza before calling them...

brentk

• Total Posts: 251
                        RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Thu, 11/11/04 4:27 AM (permalink)
                        quote:

I remember growing up as a kid the cheese was always on the bottom of a pizza (mainly on frozen pizzas when they where still something to brag about)...

I don't ever remember frozen pizzas as being something to brag about. While I don't eat a lot of pre-made frozen foods, my perception is that the quality has improved over the years. I'm curious about your recollection. Is this a nostalgic comment about the foods we remember liking in our youth or was there some golden age of frozen pizza that we should all recall with fondness?

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                          RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Thu, 11/11/04 5:44 AM (permalink)
                          For years the phrases "quality" and "frozen pizza" never knew of the existence of each other. Lately the roads seem to have crossed and allowed a long overdue meeting of the two. We've had several that were easily as good as some of the local carryout and in several instances the frozen pizzas were better. I think one was the Brick Oven pizza. Another may have been Freshetta. (Pardon my spelling.)
                          When I was a kid, there was nothing I liked better than when my mom would make Chef BoyArDee pizza in the summer when my friends were over. Cheesiest, and I don't mean that in a topping way, pizza I've ever eaten, but very good to my 10 year old mind. (I currently have my 13 year old mind installed.) I think my record was 27 pieces.

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Thu, 11/11/04 12:02 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Brent Kulman

quote:

I remember growing up as a kid the cheese was always on the bottom of a pizza (mainly on frozen pizzas when they where still something to brag about)...

I don't ever remember frozen pizzas as being something to brag about. While I don't eat a lot of pre-made frozen foods, my perception is that the quality has improved over the years. I'm curious about your recollection. Is this a nostalgic comment about the foods we remember liking in our youth or was there some golden age of frozen pizza that we should all recall with fondness?

Well, the way the story goes as I recall... Back in the day you used to get a really decent pizza from the local pizza shop... I mean it was fresh and quality products topped it off! Not to mention prices where great back then (even them times)... Today all I seem to find from the local shops is a substandard pie, with weak toppings and I'm not sure what happened to true pizza sauce, but today it's nothing like it used to be... Too many folks going out for the buck vs. a decent product. Frozen Pizzas fell in the same category... I used to buy Mr Chef frozen pizzas which came darn close to what you would get from a pizzeria.. Loaded and at a decent price! Today I pretty much avoid pizza shops around here considering I drop around 20 bucks (including the tip) and get a flat loaf of bread with a few ounces of tasteless toppings tossed on top... (Our area is a true pizza hell).. But for $2.50 (on sale) I can pick up a Tombstone and doctor it up for an extra 2 bucks and have enough to feed a couple people with no complaints... Well, enough rambling from my end... As for your perception, It's gone the other way in my book...

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Thu, 11/11/04 12:18 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Brent Kulman

quote:

Ok, I'm back! I was "Multitasking" while responding to you the first time... (Talking to the boss on the cell phone while trying to respond to a post just dont work for me).. I might have gone a bit off your comments there the first time... But ya, Frozen Pizzas, IMO, where FAR FAR Better back in the 70's and 80's... You got what I felt, more then you paid for! Toppings where loaded and not just as a garnish. Today you dont see that anymore. I just bought a frozen pizza the other day, it was suppose to be a supreme! It had tons of sausage on it, but only 2 pcs. of pepperoni and 3 slivers of mushroom... Only way I eat a frozen pie today is to doctor it up with adding more shrooms, pepperoni, green pepper, onion and a mix of cheeses... It used to be un-neccesary to do that.. But not being nostelgic about my youth! But if consider Freshetta (sp?) as being online with something you get from your local pizzeria, you missed the good pies from back in the day!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                                RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Thu, 11/11/04 12:49 PM (permalink)
                                I think that the frozen pizza of today is better because it costs more, so they can put more in it. We usually keep one in the freezer. For about the same money I can buy a much better store made pizza from one of a half dozen pizza shops in my town of less than 13,000 people. We like pizza in New England. As for the cheese, we put it on the top, bottom, and in the case of one chain, in the crust

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Fri, 11/12/04 11:39 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by tmiles

I think that the frozen pizza of today is better because it costs more, so they can put more in it. We usually keep one in the freezer. For about the same money I can buy a much better store made pizza from one of a half dozen pizza shops in my town of less than 13,000 people. We like pizza in New England. As for the cheese, we put it on the top, bottom, and in the case of one chain, in the crust

I am so confused now...

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                                    RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Thu, 03/1/07 12:34 PM (permalink)

Digging up a relic....

I learned many years ago as a teenager working at the Pizza Hut in Branson, MO to put a little on after the sauce, then toppings, and more cheese on top. I don't do it always this way, depending on the type I'm making, but that is my "normal" mindset.

i always found it interesting to see a pizza with the cheese on first, then the sauce, always seemed odd to me. This is the way it is done on a two layer, or stuffed pizza, no?

ChiTownDiner

RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Thu, 03/1/07 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                      On the rare ocasions I do the homemade thing...dough, sliced cheese, sauce, thin layer of shredded, toppings, layer of shredded and then into the oven and onto a pizza stone. I do love NY style thin, crispy and only cheese but I also love loaded with toppings and cheese pizza.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6230
                                        RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Thu, 03/1/07 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                        On flat pizza I put sauce first then some toppings such as onions, mushrooms and sausage next and then cheese. Toppings such as black olives, pepperoni and tomatoes I put on after the cheese. Pepperoni seems to always go on top. Sausage chunks will generally bleed through the cheese when baked.

The deep dish pizza I recently made I put a layer of provolone first then the tomato based mix, some more cheese, toppings of onions and sausage and cheese again with the olives on top. It all kind of blended and stuck together with the cheese.

A lot of it has to do with presentation and many put all toppings on after the cheese. I never knew any shop that put the sauce on top of cheese on a flat pizza.

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Thu, 03/1/07 10:18 PM (permalink)
                                          Wow, a 2 year old thread brought back to life... Today I prebake my crust for a couple minutes, rub some butter on the outer edge, lay down the sauce, cheese, then load up the toppings and bake till completion. Tried all the above in the past and this seems the one that clicks for me..

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                            RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Sat, 03/3/07 9:33 AM (permalink)
                                            Wow! I remember Tony's (Panama City) in the early to mid seventies. Good stuff! Pasquale's was right down the road, also. Man, those WERE the good 'ole days.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                              RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Sat, 03/3/07 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                              I made pizzas for a couple of years in the late sixties ('67-'70?) for a chain that took as much pride in its pies as a chain could. (We had to get the crusts out of the home office, but everything else was made--not thawed, but actually made--on-site.) We layered sauce (one spoonful on a 9", 2 on a 12", 3 on a 16"), then topped it with mozzarella. Toppings went on last so they'd cook. And to my amazement, there was a reason for the seemingly sparse distribution: the toppings would sink partway into the cheese, then they and the cheese would get browned and/or a bit crispy. Finally, we were told to put a sprinkle of oregano on top. When cooking for myself, I didn't.

For the record, the chain was Tony's, with 64 stores, based in Pensacola. It was padlocked as a result of (ahem!) a misunderstanding with the Treasury Department over withholding taxes. I ignored my last paycheck and got out of Dodge, then returned when the place was in new hands. . . .

WIBEARFAN

• Total Posts: 19
                                                RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 03/14/07 2:31 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Theedge

I like the taste of the cheese when it gets a bit browned - so it's on top for me.

Me too especially on deep dish pizza..

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                                                  RE: Cheese on Top or Bottom.....? Wed, 03/14/07 2:45 PM (permalink)
                                                  I always go with sauce, cheese, toppings, then another lite sprinkling of cheese on top. Toppings are applied with a lite touch.

When the pie comes out of the oven it gets a lite sprinkling of Parmigiano.

This all changes of course if I am making a Chicago Style Deep Dish.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com