Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Big Luke's Bar and Grill, Lancaster Ontario

johnnymolson

• Total Posts: 90
  • Roadfood Insider
Big Luke's Bar and Grill, Lancaster Ontario Fri, 11/12/04 3:22 AM (permalink)
Had a great Roadfood find while on the road for one of my brother's hockey games. Right off of the 401 east of Cornwall is Lancaster Ontario, and there hides a gem known as Big Luke's Bar and Grill. Upon walking in, I saw a bear of a man leaning agaist the bar who was OBVIOUSLY Big Luke, and only one table that hadn't already been reserved in the small-ish dining area. Upon sitting down, the locals immediately identified me as an out-of-towner, and I was soon flooded by suggestions that I try Big Luke's famous ribs. With that many endorsements, I just had to give them a try...and they were fantastic!!! Among the best I have ever eaten, and they were *gasp* grilled, not smoked!

These lengthy ribs came on a platter with nicely seasoned french fries (dusted with steak spice) and coleslaw, and exuded a heavenly aroma. Upon my first bite, I my tastebuds were flooded by a depth of flavors ranging from sweet to tangy to smoky as the soft and succulent ribmeat fell off of the bone into my mouth. I later asked Big Luke how he managed to pack so many flavors into his ribs. The most I could draw out of him was that marinading his ribs is a four day process; two days of dry marinade, and two days wet. Luke also mentioned that he does not parboil his ribs before grilling them, but that was all the information he was willing to give up.

Upon my finishing my dinner, Big Luke's father-in-law stopped by my table for a chat and offered me the house specialty dessert on the house (the family that runs the restaurant are as friendly a bunch as you'll ever meet). It was called the Jam Butty: light and crispy fried pastry filled with your choice of fruit preserves, and then topped with your choice of chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, whipped cream, ice cream...or all of the above! I chose apple preserves and went with the works for toppings, and it was one of the best desserts I have ever tasted! If you're ever passing through Eastern Ontario on Highway 401, be sure to stop in Lancaster and visit Big Luke's Bar and Grill!

johnnymolson

• Total Posts: 90
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Big Luke's Bar and Grill, Lancaster Ontario Fri, 11/12/04 3:24 AM (permalink)
    Lancaster is pretty small, and Big Luke's is hard to miss, but I'll put up the address and contact information anyways:

Big Luke's Bar And Grill
    152 Military Road
    Lancaster, Ontario
    K0C1N0
    (613) 347-1541

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com