The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Mexican Breakfasts

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
Author Message
hefried

  • Total Posts: 367
  • Joined: 7/13/2004
  • Location: pdx, OR
RE: Mexican Breakfasts Sat, 02/12/05 12:10 PM (permalink)
Yes i beleive it is........... but how would i know, really, if i don't even know what MIGAS is! i KNOW , Im positive, ive seen it and heard of it and heard it said.... Could somebody tell us what it is.?
Mikesh :what's the story on migas that your F/F in Texas tell you about?
 
#31
    ocdreamr

    • Total Posts: 1109
    • Joined: 3/12/2003
    • Location: Wilmington, NC
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts Sat, 02/12/05 7:50 PM (permalink)
    I know, I'm not a Texan, but I have had migas in Texas, so here goes. Migas is a scrambled egg dish that contains corn tortillas that have been torn into pieces put in the fry pan with peppers(jalapenoes or green), onions, & tomatos then you stir in beaten eggs & scramble all together. Cheese can also be added & serve with salsa. Some people also add chorizo.
     
    #32
      hefried

      • Total Posts: 367
      • Joined: 7/13/2004
      • Location: pdx, OR
      RE: Mexican Breakfasts Mon, 02/14/05 11:57 AM (permalink)
      hey oc dreamr
      i thought that "dish" was chilaquiles??? MAYBE Migas and Chiliquiles are the same thing?
      ahha! THAT's probably it!!! at some point im gonna take the time to get out one of my cookbooks and really check it out for these recipes...
       
      #33
        hefried

        • Total Posts: 367
        • Joined: 7/13/2004
        • Location: pdx, OR
        RE: Mexican Breakfasts Mon, 02/14/05 11:58 AM (permalink)
        at some point, when i'm not mindlessly chatting on roadfood forums that is......!!!!!!!!!!!!
         
        #34
          BakersBoy

          • Total Posts: 302
          • Joined: 3/13/2004
          • Location: Annapolis, MD
          RE: Mexican Breakfasts Mon, 02/14/05 12:39 PM (permalink)
          To all,

          Migas have eggs, chilaquiles do not.

          By the way the best breakfast burrito I've ever had was at the cafeteria at the military base in White Sands, New Mexico. Made by two wonderful cooks. It remains to this day the best. And chorizo, I'll eat it every day if I could. I don't care whats in it. It tastes good. Just like sweetbreads.

          BB
           
          #35
            cedwin

            • Total Posts: 63
            • Joined: 7/30/2004
            • Location: St. Paul, MN
            RE: Mexican Breakfasts Mon, 02/14/05 1:40 PM (permalink)
            Actually, many versions of chilaquiles have eggs. I've had with and without eggs in many ways in Mexico. It sounds like chilaquiles and migas are the same, at least to me.
             
            #36
              sugarlander

              • Total Posts: 254
              • Joined: 5/3/2004
              • Location: Houston, TX
              RE: Mexican Breakfasts Mon, 03/14/05 10:30 AM (permalink)
              I had a great Mexican breakfast at Taqueria Aranda, a small chain in Texas, clean, good food, very cheap. Two of us ate for $9 including two beverages chips and salsa,and tip. They have several specials daily for $2.29. It is a bright, tropical decorated fairly large restaurant near Reliant Stadium on South Main Street in Houston. They had good chilaquiles, served with refried beans. The Mexican eggs were spicy, a very large portion, served with beans also and fresh flour tortillas. I plan to go back soon for a torta. The seafood in the pictures on the wall looked great. They have a huge menu showing pictures of many of the foods.
               
              #37
                i82much

                • Total Posts: 10
                • Joined: 3/11/2005
                • Location: Arlington, TX
                RE: Mexican Breakfasts Mon, 03/14/05 11:34 PM (permalink)
                -----check out this site and click on the menu button ------- http://www.marquezbakery.com/ -----i ate there today
                 
                #38
                  hefried

                  • Total Posts: 367
                  • Joined: 7/13/2004
                  • Location: pdx, OR
                  RE: Mexican Breakfasts Mon, 03/14/05 11:51 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by i82much

                  -----check out this site and click on the menu button ------- http://www.marquezbakery.com/ -----i ate there today

                  looks gooood and cheap , right on
                   
                  #39
                    i82much

                    • Total Posts: 10
                    • Joined: 3/11/2005
                    • Location: Arlington, TX
                    RE: Mexican Breakfasts Tue, 03/15/05 12:12 AM (permalink)
                    it was good -----i brought home an extra dozen pork tamales too . (for breakfast )
                     
                    #40
                      olphart

                      • Total Posts: 289
                      • Joined: 12/29/2003
                      • Location: Bastrop, TX
                      RE: Mexican Breakfasts Wed, 03/16/05 7:16 PM (permalink)
                      We make migas by sautéing chopped onion, red bell pepper, poblano (or other fresh peppers) and then scrambling in eggs. Near the end of the cooking we add crushed corn tortilla chips to the eggs. The migas are often topped with some type of salsa. I prefer salsa verde (green).
                       
                      #41
                        Born in OKC

                        • Total Posts: 428
                        • Joined: 4/11/2005
                        • Location: atlanta, GA
                        RE: Mexican Breakfasts Wed, 04/13/05 12:21 AM (permalink)
                        I thought the classic migas was scrambled eggs with canned strip sliced cactus petals included. The tortilla pieces are optional.

                        If that is not right, what is the name for the scrambled eggs with cactus?
                         
                        #42
                          Lavanda

                          • Total Posts: 111
                          • Joined: 4/5/2005
                          • Location: BackOfBeyond, TX
                          RE: Mexican Breakfasts Wed, 04/13/05 2:25 PM (permalink)
                          definitions:

                          Migas: most commonly a tex-mex dish. Consists of fried crisp CORN tortilla pieces which are then scrambled with eggs. You may vary by adding onion, peppers, etc to the scramble.

                          This originated as a way to use up leftover stale corn tortillas.

                          Chilaquiles are also based on the use of leftover stale corn tortillas, but the basic dish is dried tortillas broken into pieces, and then stewed briefly in a tomato/chile sauce.

                          To make a richer, fancier dish, scrambled eggs or shredded cooked chicken meat may be added.

                          Most commonly, it is a tomato/chile sauce cooked, the tortilla pieces are added, and the whole cooked briefly till the tortillas absorb the sauce, and are mostly dry, not swimming in the sauce. They can then be garnished with sour cream, mexican crema, and garnished with drumbled cheese on top.

                          A great vegetarian or lenten dish when abstaining from meat.

                          Nopalitos / Nopalitos con huevo: cooked cactus pieces, then scrambled with eggs, to whaich one might add in chiles or salsa,
                          & sauteed chopped onion. These are NOT called migas.

                          These are very common during the lenten season because they are
                          also a good vegetarian or fasting from meat dish, and because
                          the tender nopalitos are a popular early spring food.

                          As nopalitos become more commonly available the year round,
                          they are also eaten more all year long.

                          Nopalitos are available pre-cooked in glass jars, and in more ethnic-oriented grocery stores are available as whole, unpeeled
                          pads, and/or pre-peeled, and shredded fresh pieces in plastic
                          bags in the produce section.






                          www.cocina-mexicana@yahoogroups.com
                           
                          #43
                            1bbqboy

                            • Total Posts: 4542
                            • Joined: 11/20/2000
                            • Location: Rogue Valley
                            RE: Mexican Breakfasts Wed, 04/13/05 2:30 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by BakersBoy

                            To all,

                            Migas have eggs, chilaquiles do not.

                            By the way the best breakfast burrito I've ever had was at the cafeteria at the military base in White Sands, New Mexico. Made by two wonderful cooks. It remains to this day the best. And chorizo, I'll eat it every day if I could. I don't care whats in it. It tastes good. Just like sweetbreads.

                            BB

                            The best mexican breakfast burritos I can remember were in Deming, NM and El Paso , Tx. They must like their breakfast down that way.
                             
                            #44
                              EdSails

                              • Total Posts: 3591
                              • Joined: 5/9/2003
                              • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                              RE: Mexican Breakfasts Wed, 04/13/05 5:04 PM (permalink)
                              My two favorite Mexican breakfast items are chilaquiles con chorizo, with lots of that delectable sausage and onions mixed with the stale chips and onion, and a sililar dish, papas con chorizo----fried potatoes with cchorizo and onions mixed in. That makes for a spicy and hearty breakfast!
                              On rare occasions I enjoy stopping at a panderia for a few pan dulce-----sort of a large donut-sized bread. A few of those and a coffee and I'm set!
                               
                              #45
                                Chef Susan

                                • Total Posts: 84
                                • Joined: 8/18/2003
                                • Location: Healdsburg, CA
                                RE: Mexican Breakfasts Tue, 04/19/05 9:02 PM (permalink)
                                Will someone from Austin, Bushie, please tell this poor tortured soul exactly what migas are? I don't feel qualified, being from California...

                                Y'all can't talk about breakfast and not talk about the Frontier coffee shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Breakfast there is worth travelling to NM just for that!!! (and I LOVE New Mexico!)

                                P.S. Migas and homemade refried beans is our favorite breakfast, followed by Chilaquiles and eggs.
                                 
                                #46
                                  Ort. Carlton.

                                  • Total Posts: 3589
                                  • Joined: 4/9/2003
                                  • Location: Athens, GA
                                  RE: Mexican Breakfasts Tue, 04/19/05 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                  Dearfolk,
                                  None of our local Mexican restaurants serve breakfast! They all open at 11:00 A. M. Same with the two El Salvadorean places.
                                  I'll have to check out one in Metro Atlanta that is supposed to be "so authentic you'll swear you're there," as the newspaper reviewer gushed. - The menu is entirely in Spanish and the place does not sell anything resembling "tourist" food. I can only imagine eating some nopales and huevos con chorizo there with a cup of coffee with a hint of chocolate in it, but I've gotta lose some weight first.
                                  There's also a place on South Clayton Street, a block off the square in downtown Lawrenceville, Georgia that is run by folks from Oaxaca. My minions tell me to go there before it gets "discovered." Have any of y'all been there? Any Atlanta-area reports on some other place(s)??
                                  Just As Hungrily As Usual (If Not More, After Reading Spanish Flowers' Menu!), Ort. Carlton in Ever-Lovely Athens.
                                   
                                  #47
                                    hefried

                                    • Total Posts: 367
                                    • Joined: 7/13/2004
                                    • Location: pdx, OR
                                    RE: Mexican Breakfasts Wed, 04/20/05 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Lavanda

                                    definitions:

                                    Migas: most commonly a tex-mex dish. Consists of fried crisp CORN tortilla pieces which are then scrambled with eggs. You may vary by adding onion, peppers, etc to the scramble.

                                    This originated as a way to use up leftover stale corn tortillas.

                                    Chilaquiles are also based on the use of leftover stale corn tortillas, but the basic dish is dried tortillas broken into pieces, and then stewed briefly in a tomato/chile sauce.

                                    To make a richer, fancier dish, scrambled eggs or shredded cooked chicken meat may be added.

                                    Most commonly, it is a tomato/chile sauce cooked, the tortilla pieces are added, and the whole cooked briefly till the tortillas absorb the sauce, and are mostly dry, not swimming in the sauce. They can then be garnished with sour cream, mexican crema, and garnished with drumbled cheese on top.

                                    A great vegetarian or lenten dish when abstaining from meat.

                                    Nopalitos / Nopalitos con huevo: cooked cactus pieces, then scrambled with eggs, to whaich one might add in chiles or salsa,
                                    & sauteed chopped onion. These are NOT called migas.

                                    These are very common during the lenten season because they are
                                    also a good vegetarian or fasting from meat dish, and because
                                    the tender nopalitos are a popular early spring food.

                                    As nopalitos become more commonly available the year round,
                                    they are also eaten more all year long.

                                    Nopalitos are available pre-cooked in glass jars, and in more ethnic-oriented grocery stores are available as whole, unpeeled
                                    pads, and/or pre-peeled, and shredded fresh pieces in plastic
                                    bags in the produce section.

                                    thank you so much excellent definitions! now i get it!






                                    www.cocina-mexicana@yahoogroups.com
                                     
                                    #48
                                      hefried

                                      • Total Posts: 367
                                      • Joined: 7/13/2004
                                      • Location: pdx, OR
                                      RE: Mexican Breakfasts Wed, 04/20/05 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                      thank you levanda! excellent definitions! now i get it!
                                       
                                      #49
                                        Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

                                        Jump to:

                                        Current active users

                                        There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                        Icon Legend and Permission

                                        • New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

                                        2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com