The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pizza in the Bronx

bxphoto79

• Total Posts: 2
Pizza in the Bronx Tue, 05/6/03 3:48 PM (permalink)
If anyone is yearning for an excellent slice of pizza heaven come on down to Louie and Ernie's in the Bronx. Don't come hungry for anything besides pizza (and maybe the occasional calzone), because that's all they serve. But do they ever serve it well, a regular slice topped with sausage, peppers, and onions is my idea of pizza perfection (the pizza is thin-crust so you might want to ask for a fork and knife). After your pizza, dessert is right next door at Theresa's Ices. These are the real deal: creamy, delicious, and a dollar (for a small piled three scoops high). I have too many favorite flavors to name just one...(Luckily I live two blocks away so I have all summer to "review" my pics!)

NYR2B

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: Pizza in the Bronx Sun, 02/29/04 11:09 AM (permalink)
    Hi there bxphoto79! I am moving to NYC in May '04 so I have A LOT of food exploration to do. I've heard many good things about real NY pizza such as Grimaldi's near the Bkln side of the Brooklyn Bridge and many more.

Louie and Ernie's in the Bronx sounds pretty good. I hope the area is not as dangerous as its reputation (maybe that's just the South Bronx). Fordham U is there and I am interested in studying there. I heard about Arthur Ave.(Belmont area) in the Bronx, which must be where Louie and Ernie's (and its neighbor Theresa's Ices) is. Also the original Patsy's, right?-- Grimaldi's is the second Patsy's.

I love Italian ice, which I used to get in Chicago's Little Italy (Taylor St). Can't remember the name-- shame on me!-- but of course I will be thinking of all that great food I ate over a dozen years ago. I know NY pizza is much different from Chicago deep dish. Lighter and crispier.

Non-pizza question-- is Dominick's at 2335 Arthur Ave any good?

Thanks for the help and happy pizza eating.

NYR2B a.k.a. Matt
    in sunny R.O.C.
    Is there such a big difference between wood and coal oven pizza? Are Grimaldi's and Sac's in Long Island City the only two NYC pizza joints using coal pizza ovens?

bxfinest

• Total Posts: 79
      RE: Pizza in the Bronx Fri, 07/23/04 7:53 AM (permalink)
      bxphoto79:

bxfinest here, What's really good papa? I gotta check out Louie and Ernie's Pizza. I know it's official since so many Pizza shops in the BX serve sensational pizza. When you get a chance post the address for me. If your ever in the NE section of the Bronx it's an absolute MUST that you check out Nick's Pizza on E Gun Hill Rd, right by the 5 train. Great slices, sicilians(best i've ever tasted anywhere), calzone and Heroes. They also serve the soft cup ices and slushy drinks. Check em out if your ever in the neighborhood. keep repn the Bronx babe cause we got it all. From pizza shops every where in the BX, to Italian restuarants of Arther Ave, to great tasting spanish food of the South BX, to Caribean food of White Plains Rd, to Sabrett Franks and BBQs on Fordham Rd to Jimmy's Bronx Cafe on W. Fordham. Now that's BX style to the fullest!!!

SALEND

• Total Posts: 1
        RE: Pizza in the Bronx Fri, 07/23/04 9:34 AM (permalink)
        3 boys from italy on burke ave. in the bronx is a must. I grew up in the bronx and letf in 1979 for boston. I still go back fpr pizza and all my new york sports teams

albinoni

• Total Posts: 149
          RE: Pizza in the Bronx Fri, 07/23/04 11:12 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by bxphoto79

If anyone is yearning for an excellent slice of pizza heaven come on down to Louie and Ernie's in the Bronx. Don't come hungry for anything besides pizza (and maybe the occasional calzone), because that's all they serve. But do they ever serve it well, a regular slice topped with sausage, peppers, and onions is my idea of pizza perfection (the pizza is thin-crust so you might want to ask for a fork and knife). After your pizza, dessert is right next door at Theresa's Ices. These are the real deal: creamy, delicious, and a dollar (for a small piled three scoops high). I have too many favorite flavors to name just one...(Luckily I live two blocks away so I have all summer to "review" my pics!)

Where are they located?

albinoni

• Total Posts: 149
            RE: Pizza in the Bronx Fri, 07/23/04 11:24 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by NYR2B

Hi there bxphoto79! I am moving to NYC in May '04 so I have A LOT of food exploration to do. I've heard many good things about real NY pizza such as Grimaldi's near the Bkln side of the Brooklyn Bridge and many more.

Louie and Ernie's in the Bronx sounds pretty good. I hope the area is not as dangerous as its reputation (maybe that's just the South Bronx). Fordham U is there and I am interested in studying there. I heard about Arthur Ave.(Belmont area) in the Bronx, which must be where Louie and Ernie's (and its neighbor Theresa's Ices) is. Also the original Patsy's, right?-- Grimaldi's is the second Patsy's.

I love Italian ice, which I used to get in Chicago's Little Italy (Taylor St). Can't remember the name-- shame on me!-- but of course I will be thinking of all that great food I ate over a dozen years ago. I know NY pizza is much different from Chicago deep dish. Lighter and crispier.

Non-pizza question-- is Dominick's at 2335 Arthur Ave any good?

Thanks for the help and happy pizza eating.

NYR2B a.k.a. Matt
            in sunny R.O.C.
            Is there such a big difference between wood and coal oven pizza? Are Grimaldi's and Sac's in Long Island City the only two NYC pizza joints using coal pizza ovens?

The Belmont section of the Bronx is near Fordham and is considered to be very safe. It's a small enclave, cut off from most of the rest of the Bronx by tracks, parks and other urban obstacles. That, along with a lot of families that stayed put, kept it from falling victim to the decay that destroyed the neighborhoods around it in the '70s and '80's.

Its main streets are Arthur Avenue and 187th St. They are vibrant shopping areas, and are worth a special trip (it's just a few minutes from the Fordham Road exit of the Bronx River Parkway). There is a bread bakery on Arthur Ave just a block or two north of 187th that is excellent. Full Moon Pizza on the corner of Arthur and 187th is some of best we've ever tasted (I assume it's still good--I haven't been there in years). There are also fresh veggie stands, butchers, and the Arthur Avenue Market, that was built by Mayor Laguardia to get the pushcarts off the streets, and is still going strong. Oh- and Teitel Brothers, also on Arthur Avenue, that sells imported Italian provisions (olives, sausage, cheese, etc.), including their own brand of olive oil (EDDA) that is our favorite.

I don't know any of the restaurants there--maybe check out Chowhound.com's outer borough board to see what people say.

Charlie

avk2

• Total Posts: 31
              RE: Pizza in the Bronx Mon, 12/20/04 11:43 PM (permalink)
              Louie & Ernie's is great, its a quick detour off of the Hutch, Cross Bronx Expwys, or Throgs Neck bridge svc road. (not far from the "Freshway" market) In a totally quiet & safe part of the Bronx, which, despite its recent history, has many quiet & safe areas.

Bronx Arthur Ave is a great area, was there the other day shopping for christmas antipasto, pannetones, gifts etc. Much better than the fading Manhattan Little Italy market-wise, but with fewer restauramts & not as great as Phillys Italian Market (#1 in the US, still) Other ethnics have moved in (Puerto Ricans, Albanians) but Italians still hold sway. Dominick's is a fantastic restaurant, where everyone sits at long tables, no menus, pay cash, a multicourse dinner is magically $27, ....although Umberto's from Manhttan just opened up in the old live chicken market next to the Arthur Ave Market (as seen in the film, MARTY)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com