Seeking Authentic Detroit Coney Sauce Recipe

Author
gschwim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
2004/12/16 00:40:04 (permalink)

Seeking Authentic Detroit Coney Sauce Recipe

Last I heard, there were over 200 Coney Island hot dog places in my home town of Detroit, and there are at least two companies that sell pre-mixed coney sauce (just add water) to those places that choose not to make their own. Yet, I cannot find, on the Net, a single recipe for the authentic Detroit Coney Sauce. With so many Coney Island places, how can the recipe be such a well-kept secret? I mean, even the Mafia had its stoolies and they had to worry about being killed for talking. (Or does the "Coney Island Mafia" (La Coney Nostra?) have a death penalty, too?

Does anyone have the recipe for the authentic Detroit Coney Island sauce, which, according to the ingredient label on the premix from Koegel Meat Company, includes Beef hearts, beef suet, cracker meal, garlic powder, onion powder and "spices" (which, I assume is actually a combination of two or more spices and is the "secret" no one wants to reveal). Note that there is no tomato paste, sauce, juice, etc. listed in the ingredients. I'm talking about the real thing -- American Coney Island, Lafayette Coney Island. Help!

65 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1