The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Wilbur's - Goldsboro, NC

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
Wilbur's - Goldsboro, NC Sun, 12/19/04 4:08 PM (permalink)
Hey all,

I made the road trip back home today to pick up some BBQ to enjoy as well as take down to my mother's for Christmas. My mom and stepfather have no decent Eastern NC style BBQ in their neck of the woods, which is Myrtle Beach. So since my sister and her hubby are coming in to Myrtle Beach as well on their way to Florida to their new home I decided to play Santa and stock up for all to pig out on, PUN intended.

To me Wilbur's is the best Q around for Eastern NC BBQ, now surpassing Sky Lite Inn in Ayden, NC ( Pete Jones's place ) since his has gone down hill a little the last few years. On to the review of the glorious pig.

I walked in at 1:45 this afternoon and the place was packed as always on Sundays. I got in line to place my order and Wilbur Shirley himself waited on me. I laughed and told him I needed 12 pounds of pig, 10 dozen hushpuppies and a bottle of his vinegar sauce. after working out the logistic of the order ( how I wanted the pork packaged ), I went to the counter and dropped $101.65 for my order. For those of you who may think that is alot of cash, it's not for what you are getting. Wilbur's BBQ is pulled whole hog that is lightly chopped into decent sized chunks and has his sauce added to it that has a peppery kick and plenty of burnt or brown to it as well. It is melt in your mouth tender and to die for, always is. The hushpuppies are plain, no onion, and crispy even when reheated. 7 or 8 pounds will go to SC and the rest will be staying here, if it makes it that long.

If any of you decide to come down this way, either to visit or on a road trip down I-95, give me a holler and we will have to head down to Goldsboro.

Dennis in Cary

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
    RE: Wilbur's - Goldsboro, NC Sun, 12/19/04 4:33 PM (permalink)

Dennis,

That sounds fantastic. A co-worker of mine, in a fit of hunger for Carolina Caviar (and a fit of generousity), had Bill's Barbecue (eastern NC somewhere, not the Richmond, VA one) cater a luncheon a short while back. Man, you talk about.... We had the 'que, all easterned up with the peppery vinegar sauce, hush puppies, boiled little potatoes, brunswick stew (with big ole butter beans in it), fried chicken (like we needed it), cole slaw, sweet tea, and I can't remember what else.

Are you familiar with Bill's? How does it stack up with Wilbur's?

Frank

DLnWPBrown

RE: Wilbur's - Goldsboro, NC Sun, 12/19/04 5:27 PM (permalink)
      Hey Frank,

I haven't eaten at Bill's in sometime but I have been told it is not as good as it was about 10 years ago. He has gone "BIGTIME" by doing alot of catering onsite with the final product dropping off some. I believe he is no longer cooking over wood as Wilbur's does. Wilbur's has a huge wood pile behind the restuarant and you can smell the smoke a couple of miles before you ever get close to it.

BTW, today's special was smothered chicken which down here means it is fried first then a gravy is made, poured over the chicken and baked in the oven until fall apart tender.

Dennis in Cary

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
        RE: Wilbur's - Goldsboro, NC Sun, 12/19/04 6:25 PM (permalink)
        Dennis, check out Hog Heaven down in Pawleys for some pretty good que and an awesome buffet spread! I need to get down there this week and plan on stopping in. Thu-Sat only. Maybe Gator Krawls is open now? Happy Holidays at the beach!

DLnWPBrown

RE: Wilbur's - Goldsboro, NC Sun, 12/19/04 7:05 PM (permalink)
          Jeep.....

I've heard of them but haven't made the trip yet. Thanks, plan to have a blast there. Merry Christmas to all......

Dennis in Cary

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
            RE: Wilbur's - Goldsboro, NC Wed, 12/22/04 9:01 AM (permalink)
            Wilburs made it on the Food Network yesterday.Did anyone see that Hushpuppy making machine?It was cranking them out!

verysleepy

• Total Posts: 107
              RE: Wilbur's - Goldsboro, NC Wed, 12/22/04 9:06 AM (permalink)
              Jellybear- do you remember which of the food network's show featured Wilbur's?

When I went there about a month ago- unfortunately, it was the last stop on an 8 bbq place tour- so we were beyond stuffed. I still managed to get down a chopped pork sandwich and some hot hush puppies. YUMMY!

Nadine

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                RE: Wilbur's - Goldsboro, NC Thu, 12/23/04 9:15 AM (permalink)
                I belive it was The Best Of North Carolina.Yeah,that was it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com