The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Burger Delight?

misterajp

• Total Posts: 2
Burger Delight? Sun, 12/26/04 6:10 PM (permalink)
Has anyone ever heard of a burger chain called "Burger Delight."? Two Burger Kings within a few blocks of my house (in Chicago) now have tarps reading "Burger Delight" that are hanging over the BK signs. Any info, anyone?

Thanks!

jakenchicago

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 01/11/05 12:25 AM (permalink)
    I also live a few blocks away from these "Burger Delights". The owner used to run Burger King (franchised) and decided that he would rather be in business for himself than work with a cooperate ideology. He then in turn sold his rights to the Burger King name and created Burger Delights.

LakeviewLarry

• Total Posts: 6
      RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 01/11/05 12:15 PM (permalink)
      Hey there,
      Are thy open? Are they any good? They're right down the street from me, so I'd be up for trying them.

Thanks,
      LL

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
        RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 01/11/05 12:47 PM (permalink)
        <puts skeptical hat on>

What's that smell? <sniff..sniff..sniff>

Almost smells like a rat?????

LakeviewLarry

RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 01/11/05 12:55 PM (permalink)
          What does that mean? It's no good?

RedGreene

• Total Posts: 37
            RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 01/11/05 6:36 PM (permalink)
            All of these new posters live withing 2 blocks of each other. Amazing! lol

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
              RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 01/11/05 6:48 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by stevekoe

<puts skeptical hat on>

What's that smell? <sniff..sniff..sniff>

Almost smells like a rat?????

Another one 'o them conspiracies...

LakeviewLarry

RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 01/11/05 6:54 PM (permalink)
                Listen up tools,
                What is wrong with you people? Why don't you geniuses do a Google search for the term "Burger Delight" and realize this topic is the first thing to come up on the first page?

WTF, should people that find out this forum exists and sign up for the first time be lumped into a conspiracy? Keep your stupid forum (it's not like I ever knew it existed anyway) if you're going to be snobs.

LL

* P.S. Wouldn't it make sense to Google a restaurant you drive by every day (which is why people live near each other). Boy are you "regulars" dumb.

LakeviewLarry

RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 01/11/05 9:01 PM (permalink)
                  All right,
                  Just 'cause I was mad and wasn't getting any real feedback, I decided to go to "Burger Delights" tonight for myself (with girlfriend kicking and screaming).

It was like being in a Twilight Zone episode where everything was kind of familiar, yet different. Better yet, I felt like I went to "McDougal's" from Eddie Murphy's[url='http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094898/']Coming To America[/url]. I mean, it was like... you guys changed what? Why? To whit:

- Walk into a "Burger King" and imagine every BK logo having a laser-printed "Burger Delights" sign taped on top of it (literally)
                  - The 2 guys working there had BK jackets with the BK words taped-out
                  - Same meal deals with numbers identical (but different names, a "Whopper" is a "Delight", etc.)

They did have some menu changes:

- No Angus burgers
                  - "Mozrella Sticks" (sic... as it was spelled) and breaded mushrooms for $.99 - agreat deal there I must admit

We were the only 2 people in there and they made the food right when you order (obviously they've thought this ouot if not they would be throwing plenty of food out). People would do drive-bys to see what the heck the deal was... but everyone eventually pulled right out and kept driving. It was like they were looking at us saying "What in the heck are you guys doing in there?"

At first (about 2 weeks ago when this turnover was occuring), I actually thought it was another wacky BK idea similar to the [url='http://www.subserviantchicken.com/']Subserviant Chicken[/url] ads. You know, kinda like... look how wacky we are (for like a week or so). But no, it looks like this was actually some guy's business model.

There was no traffic at all. Not even the usual cast of BK characters that seem to make it there (no shower... just throw on a hat for that venture out of your condo type).

Will I go again? Nah, probably not. It wasn't horrendous (the fries seemed to be from the same distributor, but not the Chicken Sandwich patty), but I never realized how comforting a brand name was when you simply want a quick bite.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                    RE: Burger Delight? Wed, 01/12/05 9:35 AM (permalink)
                    LL,

Thanks for posting something that we can use. I know that you are new here, and many of us (myself excluded) are usually quite friendly. But, yesterday, when I came across this thread, there were three posts -- all from users who had one post total -- all who lived within a few blocks from each other -- and all who wanted everyone else to "check out this new place" for them.

A skeptic might think that this rogue BK franchisee were trying to promote his own business here. This may come as a shock, but that has happened here before. I really wasn't trying to be unfriendly, but it did look pretty suspicious.

I am not much for fast food places, least of all in a great food city like Chicago, so I am not apt to try this place on my next trip through town, but your review was certainly worthwhile, and evoked great images of "Coming to America"!

Please poke around...and post again.

Steve

MissKitty

• Total Posts: 292
                      RE: Burger Delight? Wed, 01/12/05 2:26 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by LakeviewLarry

Listen up tools,
                      What is wrong with you people? Why don't you geniuses do a Google search for the term "Burger Delight" and realize this topic is the first thing to come up on the first page?

WTF, should people that find out this forum exists and sign up for the first time be lumped into a conspiracy? Keep your stupid forum (it's not like I ever knew it existed anyway) if you're going to be snobs.

LL

* P.S. Wouldn't it make sense to Google a restaurant you drive by every day (which is why people live near each other). Boy are you "regulars" dumb.

Wow. That was totally uncalled for. You are one rude and unpleasant human being, and I use that latter term very loosely. I am glad I don't even live on the same continent as you, never mind same block

LakeviewLarry

RE: Burger Delight? Wed, 01/12/05 5:13 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by MissKitty

Wow. That was totally uncalled for. You are one rude and unpleasant human being, and I use that latter term very loosely. I am glad I don't even live on the same continent as you, never mind same block

Pfft... I nominate you for an Oscar for "Over Acting." I'm not sure what fairytale land you live in (not much to care either), but realize that people do actually communicate like this when called out as phoneys.

Truth is, yes I was ticked. But; I did settle down, come back, and tried to turn in an honest assessment. As I will for other establishments.

Take it easy,
                        LL

prius

• Total Posts: 109
                          RE: Burger Delight? Wed, 01/12/05 6:05 PM (permalink)
                          I agree with Miss Kitty. Down South, we call them Yankees.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                            RE: Burger Delight? Wed, 01/12/05 6:38 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by LakeviewLarry

quote:
                            Originally posted by MissKitty

Pfft... I nominate you for an Oscar for "Over Acting." I'm not sure what fairytale land you live in (not much to care either), but realize that people do actually communicate like this when called out as phoneys.

Truth is, yes I was ticked. But; I did settle down, come back, and tried to turn in an honest assessment. As I will for other establishments.

Take it easy,
                            LL

LL:

We ARE a bunch of good folks here @ RF. Have a seat & explore the forums. Relax; have a beer or 2 ... We need to get to "know" you better, and vice versa. Be assured; your objective comments and/or observations are welcomed.

LakeviewLarry

RE: Burger Delight? Wed, 01/12/05 6:54 PM (permalink)
                              Okay,
                              I admit; perhaps I've won the "Over Acting" Oscar. My apologies... I'll relax and head out for a beer or 2 per previous instructions.

See ya,
                              LL

JAHelgy

• Total Posts: 67
                                RE: Burger Delight? Thu, 02/10/05 11:01 AM (permalink)
                                The story behind the "Burger Delight" thing, according to Fox news, is that a fellow owns 6 BKs, and was fed up with paying the 4% royalty fees that BK charges......also, BK charges each franchise 4 1/2% for advertising........Pretty big chunk of change, especially when you have 6 BKs. Mostly the same food, just different wrappers, and some other new items such as pizza puffs. mmmmmmmmm....Pizza Puffs!!!

--James

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                  RE: Burger Delight? Thu, 02/10/05 6:18 PM (permalink)
                                  Interesting---an indepentdant opening a copy of a chain!!! what will they think of next? And folks---take it easy on the guy---sheesh--he was jumped on from the start and then pounced on again for being jerk when he got ticked about being pouned on!!! Come on folk--im not even a fan of chains---espeically cheap burgers--buy this guy got slammed hard and had no idea why and you slam him again when he freaks about it!??

LakeviewLarryt---sorry you got slapped around a bit--we really can be a bit hard at times---however--my HONEST feeling is --forget cjain burgers and those that copie them---find a real local hand made halfpound masterpeice that worth eating!!! Support Your Local Mom & Pop Burger Joints!!!!

JAHelgy

RE: Burger Delight? Mon, 02/14/05 7:35 AM (permalink)
                                    AT LEAST a Half pound........I prefer to push the envelope to at least a 3/4 pound burger!!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......burgers!

--James

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                      RE: Burger Delight? Mon, 02/14/05 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                      I found this site while looking for an article by the wall street journal on the sandwich shop my wife manages (lubi's)which is probably similar to how everyone found it. I say HIGH 5 to the guy cutting out the franchiser hopefully he can make a go of it. Theres a guy here in Jacksonville, Fl. doing basically the same thing with TacoBell although his is a totally new store and he's never been a franchise owner. Using mainly former tacobell emploees and adapting the menu names he is also using the concoctions many of the former tacobellians(sic)made for themselves (cheap research and development)with a closer hand at quality and portion control I can't wait for him to open the doors

JAHelgy

RE: Burger Delight? Thu, 02/17/05 9:33 AM (permalink)
                                        I went to Burger Delights the other day. I really wasn't any more impressed with it than I am with BKs. The thing that made me happier was the fact that this fellow is going out on a limb & "sticking it to the m-----James.

JAHelgy

RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 03/1/05 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                          ............Regardless of the polotics, this stuff is YUMMY!!!!!

--James

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                            RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 03/1/05 3:51 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by prius

I agree with Miss Kitty. Down South, we call them Yankees.

OH---and THIS ISNT rude!!!!??????????'signed'
                                            a Yankee that lives south of the Mason Dixon line without insulting his meighbors.

JAHelgy

RE: Burger Delight? Tue, 03/1/05 4:15 PM (permalink)
                                              Whacha think, TIKI? :-)

drpep

• Total Posts: 335
                                                RE: Burger Delight? Fri, 03/4/05 6:55 PM (permalink)
                                                In the late 90's a local Arbys franchise operator decided to go it alone. He changed the name to Ebeneezers, kept basically the same menu and food and after 3 months on his own was gone.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com