The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio

RedGreene

• Total Posts: 37
Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Tue, 01/4/05 4:51 PM (permalink)
I made my first trip to Wilson Hamburgs today after hearing about how great they are. I've been to Kewpee in Lima and the hamburgers taste the same to me. Very good hamburgers at a great price. I had a single with ketchup, pickle and onion for $1.30. I was amazed at the number of customers they served while I was there. I sat at a booth and watched as they put out hamburgers like a little factory. They had two grills...one for eat-in and take-out, and the other for drive thru customers. Neither line stopped for the hour I was there.

Anyway, I would recommend Wilson. It's hard to beat a great hamburger & fries for $2.35.

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
    RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Tue, 01/4/05 8:36 PM (permalink)
    Whereabouts is Wilsons located in Findley ? I get there once in a awhile and am always interested in finding a new burger to try ! I also like Kewpies in Lima too.If you ever get up to Fort Wayne try Powers Hamburgers on south side of downtown area. Great little mini burgers with almost a cult like following locally: http://www.hollyeats.com/Powers.htm

RedGreene

RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Tue, 01/4/05 10:33 PM (permalink)
      I get to Fort Wayne quite often, Zeke. I've never been to Powers but I'll be sure to make it there my next trip. Wilson is on South Main Street in Findlay. I don't know for sure but I believe it's been there fo many, many years. The decor looks like it hasn't changed in 50-60 years.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
        RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Wed, 01/5/05 8:23 AM (permalink)
        Somebody - Please post the address for Kewpie's and Wilson's. I have top make a trip to that area in a few weeks and would like to try them out.

RedGreene

RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Wed, 01/5/05 12:27 PM (permalink)
          Here you go, oneiron...Kewpee has 3 locations in Lima.

2111 Allentown Rd.
          1350 Bellefontaine Ave.
          111 N. Elizabeth

If I had to pick a favorite I would pick the Kewpee on Allentown.

I don't have the address to Wilson Hamburgers, but it's on South Main street around the 5-600 block. Pretty easy to find.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
            RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Wed, 01/5/05 12:46 PM (permalink)
            Thanks, Red.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
              RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Wed, 01/5/05 1:22 PM (permalink)
              are there any kewpies further south, say dayton or even further south?

(said another way: closer to hamburger-hungry me, in Cincinnati)

RedGreene

RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Wed, 01/5/05 5:09 PM (permalink)
                TJ - the only other Kewpee I know of is in Racine Wisconsin.

www.kewpee.com

RedGreene

RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Tue, 03/29/05 7:10 PM (permalink)
                  Every afternoon, a line forms at the counter of Wilson's Sandwich Shop, 600 S. Main St.

The cashier looks across the counter and asks a customer, "What would you like today?" But she already knows the answer. He wants one of the shop's now-famous hamburgers.

Since Aug. 12, 1936, Findlay's hungry have flocked to the shop for a taste of the city's heritage. The business is celebrating its 60th anniversary this week with daily specials, give-away cups and magnets.

The restaurant was founded by "Stubby" and June Wilson, who wanted to open a business similar to their Kewpee restaurant in Lima. Since a Kewpee was already open in Findlay, they chose to name the restaurant after themselves.

They owned the restaurant until Wilson died in 1967 and Mrs. Wilson died in 1979. Over the years, the restaurant flourished under Paul Fenbert, who managed Wilson's for 35 years until his death in 1972. The shop is now owned by Harold "Lance" Baker, the current manager; Maxie Curtis and Wilbur "Webb" Fenbert.

Few things have changed at the restaurant. Even the drive-thru at the south side of the restaurant was there from the start. And while a new restaurant seating 92 customers replaced the original 37-seat building in 1964, the menu has remained essentially the same.

"During the war, we had Canadian bacon and eggs, hot dogs and ham salad since it was harder to get beef during World War II," said Fenbert. He began working at Wilson's in 1941, putting four crackers in small sacks for the chili. "But other than that, it's been pretty much the same."

Since the beginning, the menu has been limited to chili, pies, drinks and hamburgers. The hamburgers, which cost $1.10 for a plain sandwich, can be ordered "special" _ with lettuce and tomatoes _ or with cheese for $1.20. When french fries were added to the menu in 1976, it was the most radical change since switching to Wilson's trademark square hamburger patties in the 1950s.

"We used to make little balls of the meat with an ice cream scoop, which made the burgers round," Alice Fenbert, who worked at Wilson's from 1946 to 1965, said. "Now we have a machine that makes the patties, which is why they're square."

The restaurant continues to grind its own meat. Since 1946, Wilson's has worked with local 4-H clubs to buy steers at the Hancock County Fair so the restaurant can use fresh, local meat.

The customers obviously appreciate it. From breakfast at 7 a.m. to its closing at midnight on weekdays, Wilson's handles a heavy stream of customers.

"I eat here every day," Joy Hassan, 61, said. "They just have good stuff to eat."

Both past and present Findlay residents seem to agree. One former Findlay teacher demands a box of Wilson's hamburgers whenever she or a relative visits Findlay.

"She called to complain one time because the shop was closed the week they were here," Webb Fenbert said, laughing.

The chili is equally popular. Some people like the chili so much they try to duplicate the recipe at home, Alice Fenbert said.

"There was one may who kept trying to duplicate the chili recipe," she said. "He couldn't do it. He kept ruining it, and his dog wouldn't even eat it."

The restaurant boasts of an impressive list of former customers. Former presidents George Bush and Gerald Ford, former vice president Dan Quayle and Gov. George Voinovich have all stopped at Wilson's to sink their teeth into a hamburger.

Over the years, Wilson's has become more than a restaurant to its customers. It's become a community of friends as customers return day after day.

"I've come here for years," said Jane Deter. "Since I retired, I come here every afternoon. Retired people like to meet here.

"I've met some nice friends here. It gives me something interesting to do when I come here."

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                    RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Wed, 03/30/05 7:47 AM (permalink)
                    If I'm in Toledo heading to Philadelphia, is it worth going out of my way to Findlay?

WaffleHouserules

• Total Posts: 353
                      RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Mon, 04/4/05 10:07 PM (permalink)
                      I would like to go there. Next time im down there ill go down to findlay. You know any good burgers in Bowling green?

WaffleHouserules

• Total Posts: 353
                        RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Thu, 04/14/05 5:57 PM (permalink)
                        I plan on movign to Lima, please tell me about Kewpee Hamburgers.

RedGreene

RE: Wilson Hamburgers in Findlay, Ohio Fri, 04/15/05 6:57 PM (permalink)
                          WaffleHouseRules...go to the Kewpee web site, www.kewpee.com and you can read about the history of the Kewpee franchise. You'll enjoy the Kewpee stores in Lima as they are always busy but the line moves fast. Great burgers, especially for the price.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com