The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Memphis BBQ Report

Scott -- DFW

• Total Posts: 34
Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 2:04 PM (permalink)
Here's a short summary of my recent Memphis trip, with a longer report (with photos) linked to below.

Cozy Corner. Cool to see the aquarium tank up front. Ordered the Cornish hen (with mild sauce) and rib tips (with hot sauce). White meat on the hen was on the verge of dryness, but still had pretty good flavor that wasn't overwhelmed by the agreeable sauce. (The dark meat was hopelessly dry.) The rib tips seemed rather average to me. The meat was tender, but not really succulent, and lacked smokiness. Overall, it seemed like a pretty good place, though nothing I had there knocked my socks off.

Payne's. The pitmaster and owner were friendly and funny. I liked seeing the pit in the serving area. (Hidden pits are usually a bad sign.) Got the rib sandwich and chopped pork sandwich. The ribs were pretty good, in terms of texture. And I liked the mild sauce with them. But they didn't have the flavor intensity of great ribs. (I ate the ribs straight, rather than as a sandwich.) The pork sandwich, however, was excellent. Good texture to the pork. The hot sauce wasn't so strong that it overpowered the pork. And the combination of pork, sauce, and mustard-yellow slaw was fantastic--the only such combo I had on the trip where I felt it worked perfectly. I'd love to go back.

Germantown Commissary. Yuppie feel to this place. Portland food-lover Nick (ExtraMSG) wasn't impressed with their ribs in his recent trip through Memphis, but liked their sandwich; so pulled pork sandwich is what I ordered. The pork had good texture, but little flavor. The sauce tasted okay, but wasn't very distinctive. Their slaw didn't seem to add anything to the mix, so I scraped it off. The toasted bun was above average. A pretty good sandwich. But it tasted something like what I'd expect from a mid-priced chain--not bad, but really lacking character.

Central BBQ. I'd heard really good things about their ribs, so I ordered a dry half slab (along with some of the house-made chips). Focusing on meat alone, this was the best bit of barbecue I had on the trip, up to that point. (Payne's sandwich was great. But it was more about the combination of flavors and textures than the brilliance of the pork.) I thought the dry rub was a little too heavy and the smoke was way too light. But, still, these were very tasty ribs. I came back a couple of days later and tried the wet ribs. I preferred the wet to the dry, simply because the tasty sauce gave the ribs a flavor boost that they needed, due to their lack of smokiness. (The chips were, as I'd been told, excellent.)

Corky's. I'd been warned here and elsewhere to steer clear of this tourist trap. But it was one of very few places open on New Year's Day. Got a combo of dry ribs and pulled pork. The ribs were abysmal--very possibly the worst ribs I've had in years. The meat was tough, incredibly dry, and flavorless. The powdery "rub" heaped on top of the slab after cooking tasted like synthetic barbecue Lik-m-aid. The pulled pork was at least edible, though it didn't distinguish itself in terms of flavor or smokiness. Our meal at Corky's was the most expensive of the trip. But they had, by far, the worst food and service of all the places to which we went.

Blues City Cafe. I don't remember reading anything about this place, positive or negative. Given the location and the look, my hopes weren't high. But, again, it was one of few places open on New Year's Day. Ordered a half slab of wet ribs. The meat, low on flavor and smoke, was just shy of being unacceptably tough. The overly sweet sauce was way too much for the meat. Not truly bad ribs (ala Corky's), but not at all good, either.

Overall, I found the average quality of Memphis barbecue to be good, given its style and aims. And there were some moments of greatness with Payne's sandwich and Central BBQ's ribs. Beautiful city, friendly people, and good barbecue. What more can you ask for?

For more details and photos, see the following link: http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=15

Scott

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 890
    RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 4:24 PM (permalink)
    Thanks for the link Scott -- I thoroughly enjoyed your write-up!!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
      RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 5:22 PM (permalink)
      great write up--great pic!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
        RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 5:23 PM (permalink)
        Scott, Welcome to the boards. I look forward to hearing more about your future travels. Great job.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
          RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 5:51 PM (permalink)
          As a former and long-time Memphian, I enjoyed your post and your article. I look forward to going back to see if my opinions match. A few years ago, two outstanding places not in Memphis were Nina's in Union City and Little Porky's in Covington (both in TN). The former is an immaculate place with incredible 'cue, the latter a "joint" with almost-as-good food and a regrettably authentic atmosphere!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
            RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 6:03 PM (permalink)
            GREAT report & pics, Scott!! Thanks.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
              RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 7:36 PM (permalink)
              This is exactly the kind of thing I joined Roadfood for. Great write up! I love it when people have the wherewithal to be able to do a detailed write-up, and provide pictures too.

In a bbq-starved state like Colorado, it's wonderful to see what you guys are up to in different parts of the country. And this goes for every other foodstuff as well!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 7:45 PM (permalink)
                Scott,
                Why don't you block out the Presidents day weekend and Join the Tennessee Glee Club and BBQ Enjoyment group. We will be in Memphis that Friday evening..BUT Saturday Morning we will spend several lunchtime hours at the Hays Smokehouse in Lexington TN. I won't repeat all the good reports posted on various threads about Mr Hays Operation...but I will say that that stop is Always the high point of any trip in that part of the country...Memphis included. Texas will be represented well and it should prove to be a very enjoyable couple of days.

Bushie

RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 7:49 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Scott,
                  Why don't you block out the Presidents day weekend and Join the Tennessee Glee Club and BBQ Enjoyment group.

Ditto!

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                    RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 9:06 PM (permalink)
                    Never eaten at G'Town Comm, but i was a couple years behind Walker Tayler (owner) at G'Town high school back in the '70's. Glad he's doing good!

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                      RE: Memphis BBQ Report Mon, 01/10/05 10:58 PM (permalink)
                      A good friend of mine is the master brewer at Bosco's in Germantown. Perhaps we should drop in there Friday afternoon for a brewery tour and a pint?

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                        RE: Memphis BBQ Report Tue, 01/11/05 8:12 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Poverty Pete

A good friend of mine is the master brewer at Bosco's in Germantown. Perhaps we should drop in there Friday afternoon for a brewery tour and a pint?

Now theres an idea whose time is come!

Scott -- DFW

• Total Posts: 34
                          RE: Memphis BBQ Report Tue, 01/11/05 12:19 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Why don't you block out the Presidents day weekend and Join the Tennessee Glee Club and BBQ Enjoyment group.

I'd love to. Unfortunately, I'm already committed for that weekend. There's a huge Washington's Birthday celebration every year down in Laredo, with parades, barbecues, and the annual Jalapeno Festival. I'll be down there popping jalapenos and crossing into Nuevo Laredo for cabrito (El Rincon del Viejo), fajitas (El Rancho), and other goodies. Too bad my stomach can't be in two places at once.

Scott

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                            RE: Memphis BBQ Report Tue, 01/11/05 12:46 PM (permalink)
                            Thanks for your post Scott, I'm not a big Q fan but those photos have started my stomach to rumble. Very good article with great photos!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                              RE: Memphis BBQ Report Wed, 01/12/05 12:13 AM (permalink)
                              Scott, Add an e-mail link to your profile please.

Bushie

RE: Memphis BBQ Report Wed, 01/12/05 7:34 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I'm in there, Pete. Let's plan on that. I think RickF might even join us on that one, even though he doesn't drink much...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com