The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Blueberry pie help needed

sunshine1222

• Total Posts: 1
Blueberry pie help needed Mon, 01/10/05 11:58 PM (permalink)
My boyfriend's birthday is coming up and he has spoken fondly of the best blueberry pie he ate as a kid (in the 50's)from a restaurant in Detroit, Michigan. The name of the place eludes me - it seems like it was a last name (like Smith's) and was supposed to be famous for its pies, especially blueberry. I'd like to surprise him with one for his birthday, so I don't want to ask him outright. Can anyone help? Or do you have a suggestion for a place with a really great, homemade blueberry pie that I can get locally or have shipped to California? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
    RE: Blueberry pie help needed Tue, 01/11/05 8:55 PM (permalink)
    Really great homemade pies come from... home.

Ever made a pie before? I know the crust is daunting until you're used to it, but how long do you have? Do you have a food processor to help you with the dough? I see fresh blueberries in the markets here. They come from Chile this time of year. My sister's mother-in-law once urged me to let the appearance of the pie remain "rough, so everyone will know you made it yourself." I don't like the taste of those store-bought crusts, but perhaps the boyfriend will be more impressed with something you made, even if you use the folded crusts. Be sure to moisten and sugar the top crust. This is about much more than a pie, it's a gift of love, and small mistakes will be forgiven.

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
      RE: Blueberry pie help needed Tue, 01/11/05 10:47 PM (permalink)
      I agree whole-heartedly - one that you make yourself should be much more appreciated, especially since it is made with love. If you are not an experienced cook, I would suggest using a Pillsbury crust, and then looking for a well rated pie filling on say...www.allrecipes.com. When I'm in doubt I reference that site alot with good results....Welcome to Roadfood as well! Sue

HughYeman

• Total Posts: 84
        RE: Blueberry pie help needed Wed, 01/12/05 11:25 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Really great homemade pies come from... home.

<snip>

This is about much more than a pie, it's a gift of love, and small mistakes will be forgiven.

Yesterday I had to bite my tongue to keep from making a similar reply 'cause I thought it would be off-topic, but since you said it: Hear hear! I've made hundreds of pies, and each time I combine the ingredients, make the dough, cool it on the windowsill, and serve it to guests, I'm heartily glad that I made the effort. Not only do I get the warm feeling of channeling my mother (she was a wonderful cook) but my guests are generally floored by the results.

-Hugh

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
          RE: Blueberry pie help needed Wed, 01/12/05 7:29 PM (permalink)
          Due to holiday time constraints, I was off Roadfood from 11-27-04 until about a week ago, during which apparently a lot of people were snarked about going off-topic. This is a discussion, Hugh, and I hope you will feel free to express your opinion. I surely do!

sunshine, are you in the East Bay? I will TEACH you how to make pie crust. The filling is the easy part, since you want blueberry, not cherry pie. I made rhubarb and cherry pies for my late sister's birthday, and one year she got to my house in time to help both pick and pit the cherries. "As long as you make the crust, I think picking and pitting is fun!" Bless Penny's heart, heaven is a better place for her presence. Crust is all about technique. I wrote out a detailed version of my recipe and technique. Email me if you'd like it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com