The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Wed, 01/12/05 2:18 PM (permalink)
I don't see any of these around anymore, but I remember back when the 5-10 stores and the department stores had the candy counters and also sold freshly cooked nuts and popcorn. A little bag a fresh spanish peanuts or a scoop of maple nut goodies was the way to go. Do you guys have fond memories of those counters?

varelas

• Total Posts: 118
    RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Wed, 01/12/05 2:51 PM (permalink)
    The first and only time I took something from a store and didn't pay for it
    (shoplifting) was 2 peanuts from Grants department store. What fond memories. I can still remember how great the popcorn smelled when it was popping.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
      RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Wed, 01/12/05 3:01 PM (permalink)
      There's still a Planter's nuts store in downtown Columbus. When I worked downtown I'd stop by once a week for a bag of Indian nuts.

Shara

• Total Posts: 123
        RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Wed, 01/12/05 3:09 PM (permalink)
        I remember going to the Mayfair Theatre in Trenton, NJ and stopping at the Planter's Nut Shop for movie snacks, hot Spanish peanut or cashews. There was a great Texas Weiner shop a few doors down, but the name escapes me.

Warning: you have to be pretty old to remember this place.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
          RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Wed, 01/12/05 3:12 PM (permalink)
          This has certainly brought back memories. My very first job, while in high school, was working behind the candy counter at J. J. Newberry's. It was the scariest job that I have ever had.

My boss, in training me, gave me a strong lesson on the importance of weighing the candy exactly and that I was not to put a single extra piece in the bags or I would be fired. I listened very carefully and each customer had to wait forever while I laboriously weighed their 1/4 pound or 1/2 pound of candy. I was fired after two weeks.............my boss explained to me that I was too slow in my job performance!

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
            RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Wed, 01/12/05 3:25 PM (permalink)
            Woolworth's had one of these candy/nut counters. There was a Grant's in the same shopping center; they probably had one, too, but I can't really remember.

Wieboldt's Department Store in Carpentersville had a "Treasure Trove Candies" counter. You could buy candy by the pound, and there were also assortment boxes ready to go. Ditto bags of hard candies, etc.

Our local K-Mart, during the mid-'60s when a "discount store" was a novelty, had "Frozen Cokes", popcorn, and Polish ham that they sliced for you on the spot. Everyone raved, at that time, about the "Frozen Cokes" and ham, because you couldn't get such good stuff anyplace else. I remember the "Frozen Cokes" were a really big deal with kids, because the machine was so neat.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
              RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Wed, 01/12/05 8:36 PM (permalink)
              It was the smell of the popcorn that made these counters so memorable. Who could resist when the popcorn was popping.

There is still a Planters Peanut Shoppe in Downtown Baltimore on Lexington St., but I remember just reading that they were moving, only not sure where. Konstant in Lexington Market still roasts the peanuts each day and that smell pulls you to their counter.

Target stores still pop fresh popcorn, not sure about any others.

cupcakecheval

• Total Posts: 6
                RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Wed, 01/12/05 8:50 PM (permalink)
                I remember going to the neighborhood pharmacy with my Mom and watching the display of roasted nuts. There was this contraption in the middle of the nut display that spun the mixed nuts assortment oh so enticingly. Mom would usually break down and buy me a little bag of cashews. Yummy!

Saint Matt

• Total Posts: 183
                  RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Sat, 01/15/05 2:07 AM (permalink)
                  Sears used to have a popcorn counter. Anyone else remember that? I still expect to smell popcorn whenever I step into a Sears.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                    RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Sat, 01/15/05 2:19 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by signman

It was the smell of the popcorn that made these counters so memorable. Who could resist when the popcorn was popping.

There is still a Planters Peanut Shoppe in Downtown Baltimore on Lexington St., but I remember just reading that they were moving, only not sure where. Konstant in Lexington Market still roasts the peanuts each day and that smell pulls you to their counter.

Target stores still pop fresh popcorn, not sure about any others.

Signman,
                    Did you ever get to Jeppi's when it was still down on High St? The big peanut roaster was just in the back & all the candies bagged & waiting. I always made a trip down around Thanksgiving to get the fruit & nuts for my fruitcakes and other holiday baking. Then the health department made them move out of that area (the empty buildings around them were attracting too many rats). My brother-in-law made the run for me this year, they're out in Cockysville on Aylesbury. He said he thought he had gone into the wrong place at first, it's so upscale now.

signman

RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Sat, 01/15/05 7:04 PM (permalink)
                      I used to go to Jeppi's all the time. Their popcorn was especially good, a giant 6 gallon bag was 3 bucks. I've only been to the new place once, and the popcorn was too salty. They still have the same old fashioned peanut roasters though.

Speaking of memories, Do you remember the Kettlecorn shop on Saratoga St. around the corner from Hutzler's on Howard St. Still the best caramel corn I've ever had.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                        RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Sun, 01/16/05 9:58 PM (permalink)
                        I didn't get downtown a lot as a kid, my mom did most of her shopping at Edmondson village. But I seem to remember a place that was near a dime store (Woolworth's?), would that have been it?

signman

RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Mon, 01/17/05 5:14 AM (permalink)
                          Don't think so. I think you are remembering the Kresge's at Lexington and Park and thinking of the Peanut Shop on Lexington at Liberty.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                            RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Thu, 03/17/05 5:44 AM (permalink)
                            I remember the Sears counter --- as I recall it was by the escalator. My mother always bought me warm cashews and a bag of swedish fish. It made the store smell wonderful!

Andrea

Kaczmark

• Total Posts: 73
                              RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Fri, 04/29/05 11:07 AM (permalink)
                              Mr. Peanut stor was located on Main Street in downtown Rochester N.Y. up until a few years ago. Besides having hot fresh roasted nuts, including the BIGGEST cashews I've ever seen, they popped their own popcorn. Buy the smell, floating around the store when you entered, you could tell they were using the cocoanut oil or plam oil. Somehow the things that always taste the best, are the WORST things for you. Oh well,....everything in moderation.......

Salustra

• Total Posts: 510
                                RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Fri, 04/29/05 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Saint Matt

Sears used to have a popcorn counter. Anyone else remember that? I still expect to smell popcorn whenever I step into a Sears.

Yes - popcorn and candy. That was my first thought when I read this thread. We thought we'd hit the jackpot when Mom or Dad would agree to buy a bag of Swedish Fish.
                                The Newberrys and Grants entries brought back found memories, too.
                                Was it Newberry's or Woolworth's that had the luncheonette?

garryd451

• Total Posts: 698
                                  RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Fri, 04/29/05 3:04 PM (permalink)
                                  I must be old!! I can remember Sears, Grants, Kresge's and Woolswoth's all having Candy/Nuts/Popcorn Counter.

There is still a Candy/Nuts/Popcorn Counter at "THE FARMER'S MARKET" im South Bend, Indiana!

South Bend Farmers Market!
                                  1105 Northside Boulevard
                                  South Bend, IN 46615
                                  (219) 282-1259
                                  INDOOR/OPEN-AIR/YEAR-ROUND
                                  Tuesday & Thursday

7:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.

Friday, 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.

May-September

Saturday, 7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
                                  WIC Coupons

livinginthepast

• Total Posts: 1
                                    RE: Candy/Nuts/Popcorn counters Tue, 09/11/07 2:18 AM (permalink)
                                    I wish Sears would bring back the candy counters. I couldn't wait to get a box of popcorn and a bag of double dipped chocolate covered peanuts whenever my parents would take me shopping there. Does anyone else remember the pink popcorn boxes with the siamese cat on them?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com