Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 156
Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Tue, 01/25/05 10:47 PM (permalink)
NOTE--PHOTO's of this trip are entered on P.4 AL

It's only about three weeks away now. Can we start nailing down some specifics? As I understand it, the preliminary round will be in Tunica on Thursday evening. Friday lunch will be Gridley's, followed by Bosco's brewpub in the afternoon, an as-yet-to-be-determined rib joint, then a stroll down Beale Street...(I hope it proves to be more entertaining than the stroll down main street at the Ham-less Festival.)
Saturday we'll caravan to Lexington.

Sundancer7

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Wed, 01/26/05 4:04 AM (permalink)
    Poverty: You need to round up "The Mayor". As I understand it now, Al, Janet, Bushie, Tike, Pogophiles and maybe a few more are on board. I am not sure that I can do Tunica as I was there just a couple of weeks ago but I will be in Memphis on Friday for a romp on Beale Street.

Speaking of Beale Street, that place has really changed. It is a real neat experience now and the entire area has grown up around it.

Looking forward to Hays Smokehouse and some "middleing". I guess that is how you spell it. Dennis said that was the best part of the pork because of the fat. I will have to have some ribs too but no beans.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Wed, 01/26/05 4:17 AM (permalink)
      Janet and I are in for the Friday and Saturday sessions. We should be in Memphis shortly after Noon O'Clock. We are looking forward to a Gridley's stop so make the Lunch a bit late OK?? We haven't made the reservation for Motel yet, but are looking at a couple of the West Memphis locations , just across the river. Will take care of that in the next few days and let you know where we will be.
      Saturday at Hays Smokehouse will be another great stop. We really enjoy the company and the atmosphere (really) of the place!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
        RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Wed, 01/26/05 9:21 AM (permalink)
        Depending on the weather, Mrs. Oneiron and I would like to be there. We had planned on coming to Hays and then either going to Memphis Sat. evening or back thru MS to ATL on Sun.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
          RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Wed, 01/26/05 10:18 AM (permalink)
          I'm on board for the Hay's Smokehouse portion of this (I plan on getting to Hays around 10AM)... Have a conflict on Friday, so I can't do the Memphis stuff... Looking forward to it though. If anyone wants to hit the Beacon Light for some fried chicken and ham on the way back to Nashville, I'd be up for that!!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Wed, 01/26/05 1:03 PM (permalink)
            Pogophile...The chicken stop sounds good. we'll talk about it at Hays place.
            One Iron- We made reservations at the Drury Inn at exit 12 of I=40 for friday evening. AAA Rate is only $64 for the room with hot breakfast and an hour and a half open bar friday evening. Paul and Bushie are doing the same. Haven't heard from Poverty pete yet, but figure he'll be there too. You can't beat the rate with the add-ons included. Plus they let Duff stay with us with no 'Pet-Charge'.
            The Motel phone number is 901-373-8200
            As Pete suggested, A late lunch..some free booze, a good BBQ dinner and some good blues sounds will make a good evening. Then a quick run up to Lexington Saturday Morning. We should be arriving about 10 am too. I hope to spend several hours there...depends on how busy Mr Hays is, and how much we care to eat at the Smokehouse.

ANYONE WHO READS THIS IS MORE THAN WELCOME TO JOIN IN FOR ANY OR ALL PARTS OF THIS GET-TOGETHER !! Let us know if you would care to join us so we can keep an eye out for ya !

Sundancer7

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Wed, 01/26/05 6:32 PM (permalink)
              The Sundancer is truly looking forward to this very special event. To those of you who have never experienced Hays Smokehouse, I will assure you that this is one of the best in the USA for outstanding, wonderful and tasty BBQ. It is tastifully decorated, hospital clean, BBQ is artfully created and a wonderful taste. I cannot wait to get some of their middleling pulled pork and pork ribs. The slaw is wonderful and I do not do beans but I understand from "The Mayor and Bushie" that they are great.

I look forward to getting a little funkie the nightfore on Beale Street in Memphis. Bushie said we would get a desiginated cab driver. Works for me.

We enjoyed it very much last February and this date looks to be equally great on the Sundancers birthday.

I personally will hold off on excess food on Friday night so I can totally pig out on "Q" on Saturday.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Oneiron339

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 7:56 AM (permalink)
                As of now, our plans are to arrive at Hays about 10:30-11:00 on Saturday the 19th. We may leave ATL Friday night or very early Sat. AM

Oneiron339

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 12:58 PM (permalink)
                  I am now a Double Cheeseburger and I will honor that lofty perch with one tomorrow.

Art Deco

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 1:37 PM (permalink)
                    Congrats oneiron!!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 2:26 PM (permalink)

I can't think of a better way to 'nail on' those Double-Burger Bars than a solid Hays Pulled Pork and Ribs Lunch. See'ya then !

Oneiron339

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 5:09 PM (permalink)
                        I will do that too, but first a greasy, 3 napkin double cheeseburger.

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                          RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 5:31 PM (permalink)
                          Can the glee Club muster up a rendition of my all-time sentimental,yearning for youth favorite,the Wiffenpoof Song(originally recorded by Bing Crosby)? 40yrs in the music business and that song will still cause my eyes to well up with a tearful mist.
                          I hope all you folks have a wonderful time.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                            RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 7:40 PM (permalink)
                            Dearfolk,
                            Count me in - at least to Saturday's doin's - if the needed-and-still-on-backorder car part comes in and/or I can figure out a way to get to Lexington, Tennessee other than teleport.
                            Hungrily By Now, Ort. Carlton in Pit(i)less Athens, Georgia.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 9:20 PM (permalink)
                              Ort,
                              We'll leave a trail of rib-bones for you to follow on I-40... It will be great to see you at Mr Hays Place !

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 9:40 PM (permalink)
                                oneiron, I'm really glad you're going to make it.

Ort, just in case that car part doesn't come in, maybe you could catch a Greyhound.

Your presence would be the ultimate wish of everyone in attendance.

Bobs

• Total Posts: 244
                                  RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 10:19 PM (permalink)
                                  I will see all of you at Hays on Saturday morning. I have a twenty minute ride from Jackson and anxious to meet everyone.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Thu, 01/27/05 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                    Peachie-
                                    Last Feb, about 20 or us met at a little BBQ joint in Rancho Cucamonga, CA on Super Bowl Sunday. We had a great time.
                                    In April a large group of about 50 met in Baltimore for a Crab Cake lunch and get together. It was also a great time. This little group in Tennessee did this trip last year also. There were 6 of us on that trip. This year it looks as though we are adding a couple of "new/old" faces. This is about as casual a gathering as you could find anywhere....And if you were going to do this sort of thing, small town BBQ heaven is the place to do it!
                                    The Philly/NY/NJ crowd has done some Hot dog and Cheesesteak tours in that mid- Atlantic region during the fall All attending seemed to have a great time.
                                    There are photos on file on several threads from each of these sessions. AND Yes this Tennessee gathering will be recorded for future generations.
                                    Remember that is FEB 18 in Memphis and FEB.19 in Lexington TN...not far off Exit 108 on I-40. See you all then.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                      RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Fri, 01/28/05 6:26 AM (permalink)
                                      It still looks doable from this end too---doing a tuneup on my van---it should be ready to go and also provides me with a free bed! A friend of my daughter lives in Memphi and looks like i may nstay there friday night and camp in the van after the Hayes trip---really looking forward to this alot!

Art Deco

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Fri, 01/28/05 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                        To the tables down at Mory's
                                        To the place where Louie dwells
                                        To the dear old Temple bar we love so well
                                        Sing the Whiffenpoofs assembled with their glasses raised on high
                                        And the magic of their singing casts its spell

Yes, the magic of their singing of the songs we love so well
                                        "Shall I Wasting" and "Mavourneen" and the rest
                                        We will serenade our Louie while life and voice shall last
                                        Then we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest

We're poor little lambs who have lost our way
                                        Baa, baa, baa
                                        We're little black sheep who have gone astray
                                        Baa, baa, baa

Gentleman songsters off on a spree
                                        Doomed from here to eternity
                                        Lord have mercy on such as we
                                        Baa, baa, baa

Sundancer7

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Fri, 01/28/05 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                          Pogophiles, that is a great drinking song.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                                            RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Fri, 01/28/05 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                            while you cats are frolicking on Beale Street you ought to at least try the ribs (wet) at the Blues City Cafe across the street from BB King's ............. I don't think you'll be disapointed

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                                              • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
                                              RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Fri, 01/28/05 2:39 PM (permalink)
                                              Some Roadfood friends in a public house
                                              Were really drinking hard one night
                                              When into the pub the Mayor ran
                                              His face all a chalky white.
                                              "What's up", says Pete, "Have you seen a ghost,
                                              Or have you seen Pogophiles?"
                                              "Pogophiles be buggered!", says he,
                                              "The bleedin' pub's on fire!"

And there was Sundancer upside down
                                              Lappin'' up the whiskey on the floor.
                                              "Booze, booze!" The Mayor cried
                                              As they came knockin' on the door (clap clap)
                                              Oh don't let 'em in till it's all drunk up
                                              And somebody shouted Ort! Ort!
                                              And we all got blue-blind paralytic drunk
                                              When the Old beer joint caught fire.

"Oh well," says Bushie, "What a bit of luck.
                                              Everybody follow me.
                                              And it's down to the cellar
                                              If the fire's not there
                                              Then we'll have a grand old spree."
                                              So we went on down after good old Oneiron
                                              The booze we could not miss
                                              And we hadn't been there ten minutes or more
                                              Till we were quite pissed.

Then, Bobs walked over to the port wine tub
                                              And gave it just a few hard knocks (clap clap)
                                              Started takin' off his pantaloons
                                              Likewise his shoes and socks.
                                              "Hold on, " says Tiki, "that ain't allowed
                                              Ya cannot do that thing here.
                                              Don't go washin' trousers in the port wine tub
                                              When we got Guinness beer."

Then there came from the old back door
                                              The Vicar of the local church.
                                              And when he saw our drunken ways,
                                              He began to scream and curse.
                                              "Ah, you drunken sods! You heathen clods!
                                              You've taken to a drunken spree!
                                              You drank up all the Benedictine wine
                                              And you didn't save a drop for me!"

And then there came a mighty crash
                                              Half the bloody roof caved in.
                                              We were almost drowned in the firemen's hose
                                              But still we were gonna stay.
                                              So we got some tacks and some old wet sacks
                                              And we nailed ourselves inside
                                              And we sat drinking the finest Rum
                                              Till we were bleary-eyed.

Later that night, when the fire was out
                                              We came up from the cellar below.
                                              Our pub was burned. Our booze was drunk.
                                              Our heads was hanging low.
                                              "Oh look", says The Mayor with a look quite queer.
                                              Seems something raised his ire.
                                              "Now we gotta get down to Murphy's Pub,
                                              It closes on the hour!!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                                RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Fri, 01/28/05 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                                Sounds like a heck of a night!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Sat, 01/29/05 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                                  Yeah the combination of events seems to be satisfactory. We have one little problem....Janet took a tumble on the ice-glaze on our deck this morning and broke her arm. First ever broken bone for her. I am trying to provide assistance for those things she cannot do without the use of her right arm, but I am VERY SLOW !! We will be there, but the pace of the evening and next morning may be a bit slower for us than it would have been.
                                                  Tiki , glad to hear you are planning on coming.
                                                  Hey Poverty Pete... You started this and we haven't heard from you in a week or so... As one who is not familiar with memphis other than the waterfront (BBQ Competition) Park and Beale St. Where are we starting?

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                                    RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Sat, 01/29/05 3:56 PM (permalink)
                                                    I'm really sorry to hear about Janets arm.
                                                    Our first gathering place is going to be Gridley's on Winchester Rd.
                                                    I'll get the street number and post it. It's not far from the airport, in general terms. After that, we'll go out to Germantown, then back to Beale St. for the evening.

garykg6

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Sat, 01/29/05 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                                      Please SUNDANCER7,give credit where credit is due. Pogophiles has graciously given us all the words to ''The Wiffenpoof Song'' as originally brought up by that wiley,old sage.....me! Now I shall get out my Crosby recording,crack open a Mewcastle Ale and drift back in time once again.

Sundancer7

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Sat, 01/29/05 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by garykg6

Please SUNDANCER7,give credit where credit is due. Pogophiles has graciously given us all the words to ''The Wiffenpoof Song'' as originally brought up by that wiley,old sage.....me! Now I shall get out my Crosby recording,crack open a Mewcastle Ale and drift back in time once again.

sorry Gary. I saw the words and I reflected back several years ago (45)when a friend of mine returned from the Airforce. He was stationed in England and every now and then when we were imbibing (which was quite often), he would ramp to to singing that particular song. I guess he heard it quite often in London. I was in school at that time and working at the Baptist Hospital as a lab tech. My friend and I would have a few every evening after we left the lab where we preformed blood banking, hematology, chemistry, hematology and bacteriology. There were just the two of us. Between school, working and studying, there was no time for the ladies and very little time for serious drinking.

It was your post and I screwed up. I just enjoyed reading the words once more.

Incidentally, I left the hospital in 1963 and started my current career with the pharmaceutical. I hired my friend and he still works there to this day. I retired this last June after 42 years.

I look forward to Memphis and Lexington for some great blues and "Q"

I talked to the Mayors wife and she seemed in good spirits. The hospital did nothing but immobilize her arm today and will set it on Monday. I suggested that she force fluids in the interim. I was not talking water. A little nasty weather has forced me to force fluids a little earlier than my loosely held 5:00PM start date.

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN

garykg6

RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Sat, 01/29/05 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                                          Paul,I was only being sarcastic(sardonic?),the amount of pleasure and information I have received from your posts now makes me feel guilty about giving you a little heat.....my apologies are in order.
                                                          I hope the mayor's wife heals up quickly and is back to full mobility shortly.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: West Tennessee Glee Club Reunion Sat, 01/29/05 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                                            Yeah... it is hard for her to crack the corn and skin the hogs to get the Sunday dinner started...To say nothing of hauling the wood to heat the water for my Saturday nite tubby !! Lord, it is going to be a difficult time for me ...and Duffy.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 156

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com