Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Sorbet

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
Sorbet Fri, 02/4/05 2:26 PM (permalink)
I assume sorbet would be listed with ice creams so I'll post this here. I've recently become attracted to Italian ices, and sorbets. I bought a wonderful sorbet last night at a small grocery and thought I'd share it with y'all.
The brand is Seattle Sorbets, and they have a host of wonderful flavors. I bought the Blackberry Cabernet. First 2 ingredients on the box are 10 blackberries, 2) cabernet sauvignon wine. Fat free, no cholesterol, no preservatives, or additives. This was really good.

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
    RE: Sorbet Tue, 02/22/05 4:39 PM (permalink)
    Ben and Jerry's used to make sorbets - I believe they discontinued line.

I can't remember name of this particular one, but it may have been my favorite dessert ever. It was mostly boysenberry sorbet twisted with lemon sorbet with hints of real honey and a touch of (believe it or not) coconut. Don't know how they came up with this one, but it was incredibly good.

I will take a really good sorbet (or granita at good Italian restaurant) over ice cream anyday.

carlton pierre

RE: Sorbet Tue, 02/22/05 5:37 PM (permalink)
      Bill, I've not been to any Ben & Jerry's retail outlets, but I passed a stand/kiosk in Wash DC airport and noticed they were selling sorbets there.
      I'm surprised no one has posted here, beside you. I thought sorbets and italian ices were fairly popular.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: Sorbet Wed, 02/23/05 12:53 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by carlton pierre

Bill, I've not been to any Ben & Jerry's retail outlets, but I passed a stand/kiosk in Wash DC airport and noticed they were selling sorbets there.
        I'm surprised no one has posted here, beside you. I thought sorbets and italian ices were fairly popular.

Carlton--I'm not sure what to say except I like sorbets and ices too--especially lemon. But something strange seems to have happened in San Francisco. When I first moved here in the early 80's, it seemed like there were hordes of gelato places all over town and they nearly all also offered ices. There was one on the ground floor of my apartment building. But most of them seem to be gone--or, like the one in my building, converted to conventional, if upscale, ice cream (it sells Double Rainbow now, I think). Seems like if I want a sorbet or ice now I have to either buy it at the grocery store or go to North Beach (old Italian "hood"). I can't explain it.

carlton pierre

RE: Sorbet Wed, 02/23/05 6:47 AM (permalink)
          Perhaps they've been replaced with Starbucks, BT?

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
            RE: Sorbet Wed, 02/23/05 3:38 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by carlton pierre

Perhaps they've been replaced with Starbucks, BT?

None I can think of actually replaced by Starbucks. Starbucks has been metastasizing here, but they have plenty of competition from (1) Peet's (which is a local company from Berkeley), (2) Tully's (a Seattle competitor) (3) a huge number/variety of independent coffee houses.

I just think there were so many gelato/sorbetto places they drove each other out of business.

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
              RE: Sorbet Wed, 02/23/05 9:07 PM (permalink)
              I like the Double Rainbow sorbets. Carlton, TJs carries them sometimes, and I hope you can sample them.

BT, I especially like the term you used to describe the expansion of that coffee company.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com