The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

grilled lobster

keef richards

• Total Posts: 42
grilled lobster Sat, 02/5/05 6:52 PM (permalink)
looking to grill whole lobster on charcoal grill. any suggestions as to what wood to use insted of charcoal. also cooking time i'm thinking split them in half cook meat side down 5mins flip cook shell

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
    RE: grilled lobster Tue, 02/8/05 11:25 AM (permalink)
    I don't see any problems with using charcoal, but if you want something else for fuel why not try a fruitwood such as apple or cherry. For that matter, aspen would be terrific, too. If you split the lobsters keep a close eye on the meat side.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1909
      RE: grilled lobster Tue, 02/8/05 12:12 PM (permalink)
      When I first saw this a couple of days ago, my first thought was that lobster was sort of expensive to experiment with. It was my hope that somebody who knows more than me would post. I have grilled lobster, and have not cared for the results. Mine was actually precooked (boiled) leftovers, so the "grilling" was more like reheating. I just put the whole lobster on the grill and cooked for about 10 minutes. I would not do it again, because I like cold leftover lobster just fine, and grilling, IMO, does not improve it.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
        RE: grilled lobster Tue, 02/8/05 12:25 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by tmiles

When I first saw this a couple of days ago, my first thought was that lobster was sort of expensive to experiment with. It was my hope that somebody who knows more than me would post. I have grilled lobster, and have not cared for the results. Mine was actually precooked (boiled) leftovers, so the "grilling" was more like reheating. I just put the whole lobster on the grill and cooked for about 10 minutes. I would not do it again, because I like cold leftover lobster just fine, and grilling, IMO, does not improve it.

Is there really such a thing as leftover lobster?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6230
          RE: grilled lobster Tue, 02/8/05 4:38 PM (permalink)
          I would not grill leftover lobster (WHAT'S THAT?) because the second re-heat would toughen the meat. I have grilled lobster on a charcoal grill, no wood, the lobster meat is too delicate for that. Take a very sharp knife and split the LIVE lobster in half (not for the faint of heart), brush liberally with butter and grill on both sides. A 1 1/2 pound lobster will only take about 4-5 minutes to grill. It's very tasty but I'll take a Drunken Lobster any day. Leftover lobster meat should be placed on a nice green salad and quickly consumed before anyone knows you have it!!!!

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
            RE: grilled lobster Tue, 02/8/05 5:04 PM (permalink)
            take a large pot filled with water and put it on your grill,when it begins to boil,toss in the lobsters......works every time.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
              RE: grilled lobster Tue, 02/8/05 5:45 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by lleechef

Take a very sharp knife and split the LIVE lobster in half (not for the faint of heart)....

Gee thanks! I was thinking about tying the tails to the grill with some wire, but I don't know which would happen first; I burn the hair off my knuckles or the little rubber bands melt. This is a lot easier!

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
                RE: grilled lobster Tue, 02/8/05 6:33 PM (permalink)
                The way we have done it for years is to wrap the whole lobster in heavy duty foil and grill each side over moderate coals. The time depends on the lobster. A 2lb we do 7 to 8 minutes on each side. The lobster steams in its own juices.

Coastal Southern

• Total Posts: 64
                  RE: grilled lobster Tue, 06/13/06 2:13 PM (permalink)
                  Due to the amount of time that has passed since the first post this may fall on deaf ears, but...

Grilling lobster is great. I usually split the tails down the middle and marinate them in Italian dressing for an hour or so. Then throw them on the grill on med, Meat down, for about 3 mins. (just enough time to get some good grill marks). Then flip onto the shell side and turn the heat down to low for about 6 mins Tops.

I usually do this with warm water lobseter(caribbean or Fla) which tend to be a bit smaller in size (tails usually are about 6 inches). If you have a bigger tail you might need to cook it longer. Just don't over cook (like shrimp).

salsailsa

• Total Posts: 405
                    RE: grilled lobster Tue, 06/13/06 2:44 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

10 minutes on a grill for already steamed lobster meat? eek! That sounds way too long.

Next time skip the recooking- either serve it with hot melted butter or make a lobster cocktail. Yummy and the meat won't be dried out.

I feel like a putz- I just realized how old this post is.

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
                      RE: grilled lobster Tue, 06/13/06 2:46 PM (permalink)
                      Kill a live lobster wrap it in foil and cook over coals for 8 minutes on each side. It comes out great.

tracylee

• Total Posts: 4
                        RE: grilled lobster Fri, 06/16/06 1:03 PM (permalink)
                        One of my favorite meals!

We get frozen lobster tails at about 1/2 lb each, and I take off the belly shell with kitchen shears. Slice down the middle and insert sliced garlic, top the flesh with sliced garlic, sliced lemon, and a sprig of thyme. I put each tail on an aluminum foil tray and barbecue (OK, so it's gas) until the meat pulls away from the shell on the thick end. I serve it with melted butter with Garlic Gormay Spicy Garlic Powder mixed in.

OilCan

• Total Posts: 19
                          RE: grilled lobster Fri, 06/16/06 1:28 PM (permalink)
                          I've done this many times and it always comes our great.

Split them and brush the meatside with lemon, butter, S&P.

I only put the meat side down long enough to make the marks and pick up some of the grilled flavor then turn them shell side down to finish cooking with the grill cover closed

I also wrap the claws in foil when I turn them...I'm not sure why I started doing it that way..but I've always done it and it works.

Brush it with a little more lemon and butter when they're done and enjoy. It only takes a few minutes...be sure not to overcook them as they dry out way too fast if you do.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: grilled lobster Mon, 06/19/06 2:27 PM (permalink)
                            Tracy,

There is a Lobster thread on this forum somewhere that was talking about the fried version of Lobster that is real common in Baja (Puerto Nuevo). That's Where they use split lobster fried in butter on a grill (yes in a pan on the open fire). You should have read the discussion, especially by those who had never tried it!! Trust me, as one who used to dine in that little village quite often, Fried is good too!

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                              RE: grilled lobster Mon, 06/19/06 2:41 PM (permalink)
                              Frying lobster? Grilling lobster?

That must be the kind of inhumane treatment Whole Foods is concerned about.

Coastal Southern

• Total Posts: 64
                                RE: grilled lobster Mon, 06/19/06 4:18 PM (permalink)

We get frozen lobster tails at about 1/2 lb each, and I take off the belly shell with kitchen shears. Slice down the middle and insert sliced garlic, top the flesh with sliced garlic, sliced lemon, and a sprig of thyme. I put each tail on an aluminum foil tray and barbecue (OK, so it's gas) until the meat pulls away from the shell on the thick end. I serve it with melted butter with Garlic Gormay Spicy Garlic Powder mixed in.

It is kinda nothing like marinating a filet in Ranch dressing.

Italian dressing, garlic, lemon, butter, and S&P are all great condiments to use to bring out the suttle flavors of lobster meat. I think due to the lack of natural fat deposits in lobster meat, it needs the addition of the same in some form, be it butter or oil. The other, salt, peper, lemon, italian seasoning, and the like simply cut the flavor of the fat while adding background acidity and bite that i appreciate.

I think that all of us here on Roadfood appreciate the delicate balance that is flavor enhancing in our cooking...too little and it has no effect, too much and you have ruined the cut. However, although lobster and filets are very good alone with no help, i am confused as to how someone would not "understand" using butter, lemon, S&P, and, yes, even Italian dressing and garlic for their lobster.

So, to state the obvious which is evident from my previous post on this issue, i guess i have to side with Tracylee

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                  RE: grilled lobster Mon, 06/19/06 7:39 PM (permalink)
                                  Hmmmm, marinate a filet in some real homemaid buttermilk ranch dressing before grilling, never thought of that! Gotta try it! Or... maybe just do it like a soup in the low pressure cooker??
                                  Joe

tmiles

RE: grilled lobster Tue, 06/20/06 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                    I saw in the paper that butter grilled lobster is a hot new item at high end restaurants. I thought it was funny, because it sounded like a simple old hot lobster roll without the bread. As he said,"nothing new under the sun".

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                                      RE: grilled lobster Tue, 06/20/06 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                      tmiles, where is this a hot new item? I have seen butter poached lobster around our parts here for about 8 years now.

But as you know, in New England there aint nothin new that can be done with lobster that has not already been done.

tmiles

RE: grilled lobster Tue, 06/20/06 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                        It was a wire story in the lifestyle section of the Sunday paper. I didn't read the story very carefully, so maybe it was butter poached and not butter grilled. Maybe it is a variation on an old theme.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                                          RE: grilled lobster Tue, 06/20/06 1:04 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

It was a wire story in the lifestyle section of the Sunday paper. I didn't read the story very carefully, so maybe it was butter poached and not butter grilled. Maybe it is a variation on an old theme.

yeah, I was wonderign if butter poached was what you were talking about. I see this a lot in high-end restaurants. It is pretty good, but as I mentioned, been having this in the NE areafor about 8 years now.

I like the texture the meat gets, poach too long though, and you have mushy lobster butter.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: grilled lobster Tue, 06/20/06 9:13 PM (permalink)

Note some off-topic posts were deleted and a couple had quotes of deleted posts edited out.

The Mexican version of fried lobster I mentioned above wasn't 'Poached' It was pan-fried with butter (split first) then placed directly on the grill to 'char-it' a bit.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                              RE: grilled lobster Wed, 06/21/06 3:46 AM (permalink)
                                              Well, hush my mouth I guess.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                RE: grilled lobster Wed, 06/21/06 4:18 AM (permalink)
                                                Well, hush my mouth I guess.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                                                  RE: grilled lobster Wed, 11/7/07 4:09 PM (permalink)
                                                  A couple of weeks ago I grilled 4 small tails for dinner. I split them along the underside, seared the meat for a few minutes directly over the coals, and then finished them shell-down over indirect medium heat for about 20-25 minutes with frequent basting.
                                                  [URL='http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/Brad_Olson/Grilling/379566-R1-029-13_014.jpg'][/URL][URL='http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/Brad_Olson/Grilling/379566-R1-035-16_017.jpg'][/URL]

[URL='http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/Brad_Olson/Grilling/379566-R1-039-18_019.jpg'][/URL][URL='http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/Brad_Olson/Grilling/379566-R1-041-19_020.jpg'][/URL]

Brad

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4897
                                                    RE: grilled lobster Wed, 11/7/07 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Frying lobster? Grilling lobster?

That must be the kind of inhumane treatment Whole Foods is concerned about.

The lobsters are killed instantly by splitting them first before grilling.
                                                    More "humane" than steaming or boiling whole live.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4897
                                                      RE: grilled lobster Wed, 11/7/07 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                                      I have a great recipe for grilled lobster. After splitting your live lobsters, crack the claws and brush the lobsters all over with oil and then apply liberal amounts of Chinese black bean sauce all over the lobsters. Grill for time based on size. There is some good grilling time advice above.
                                                      This is a fabulous dish!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com