Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Question about questionable item in chili recipe

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39
ericats

• Total Posts: 112
RE: Question about questionable item in chili recipe Thu, 02/10/05 11:31 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Chile

Strait outta Alb.,NM and no chocolate in the chile here.....mole is made with chocolate and is not bad. Chili here is usually chile and spicy/salty not sweet. I have had sweet chili before though and it's not to shabby. Sugar is for Aquas Frescas to help temper the heat of the chile, Though I prefer Tecate with Lime, or a gold lager.

Green_Chile

I prefer spicy/salty chili than what I imagine to be sweet chili (though am still intrigue by the Hershey's syrup!) Yeah, I guess that I would like my horchata on the side rather than in my chili. Beer is great at cutting the spice but I also like to add a bottle to my chili - double delight!

ericats

RE: Question about questionable item in chili recipe Thu, 02/10/05 11:38 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BakersBoy

To all,

My Mom and Grandmother always added sugar to chili and spaghetti sauces. They also added grape jelly to meatloaf, just a tablespoon. I still do.

BB

You know, meatloaf is the only beefy dish that I do like kind of sweet. Do you add the jelly to the mix or do you glaze the meatloaf with the jelly?

How much sugar added to chili and tomato sauce? I just remembered that a food scientist once said that if you want to cut the acidity of a tomato sauce use a slight pinch (really slight!)of baking soda rather than sugar. She said that the baking soda really does neutralize the acid. I use tomatoes without citric acid so I never have a problem but I think that if I did I might prefer to use sugar.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
      RE: Question about questionable item in chili recipe Thu, 02/10/05 12:01 PM (permalink)
      We had a friend in Arizona who's standard party dish was to
      Put a jar of grape jelly in the crockpot, followed by spicy Hot polish sausages or
      those packages of cocktail mini sausages. It doesn't seem to work with other flavors of jelly, just grape. The merging of grapes, peppers, and sugars creates a nice sauce.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
        RE: Question about questionable item in chili recipe Thu, 02/10/05 12:16 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by bill voss

Just to add, my friend grew up in suburban Milan. Adding sugar's a trick he learned in restaurant cooking, not at home. He said you have to use canned tomatoes(another myth shattered) at some times of the year in Italy too, just like here.

When making sauce (gravy) I hardly ever use fresh tomatoes. The only time I use fresh is when I can find very good, very ripe plum tomatoes. Instead, I use canned San Marzano tomatoes. They're sweet and do not need any sugar.

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
          RE: Question about questionable item in chili recipe Thu, 02/10/05 12:22 PM (permalink)
          Ericats,

The jelly is added to the mixture. My wife was horrified when we first made it together not knowing how it would taste. It is now the acceptable way to make meatloaf in our house. I think that it adds moisture to the mix along with a little sweetness. You cannot taste the grape at all.

BB

PS. One tablespoon of sugar to the red sauce.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
            RE: Question about questionable item in chili recipe Thu, 02/10/05 12:51 PM (permalink)
            Ericats & all, if you ever cruise up Ashland way, this is where Marco spins out really tasty Italian Fare.

http://www.ilgiardinoashland.com/default.asp
            http://www.ilgiardinoashland.com/Menu.html
            I figure he deserves a plug for me sharing his stories.
            Bill

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
              RE: Question about questionable item in chili recipe Fri, 02/18/05 1:17 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by ericats

quote:

To all,

My Mom and Grandmother always added sugar to chili and spaghetti sauces. They also added grape jelly to meatloaf, just a tablespoon. I still do.

BB

You know, meatloaf is the only beefy dish that I do like kind of sweet. Do you add the jelly to the mix or do you glaze the meatloaf with the jelly?

How much sugar added to chili and tomato sauce? I just remembered that a food scientist once said that if you want to cut the acidity of a tomato sauce use a slight pinch (really slight!)of baking soda rather than sugar. She said that the baking soda really does neutralize the acid. I use tomatoes without citric acid so I never have a problem but I think that if I did I might prefer to use sugar.

To neutralize that much acid you'd need a whole bunch of baking soda. I used to use it in my tomato sauce and then quit when I realized it was fruitless to try and neutralize the acidity. By the time one uses enough baking soda, you've ruined the taste of the sauce.
              Just throw in the tbsp of sugar to sweeten it a bit as suggested. If ya can't take the acid, don't eat the sauce.
              Sugar is like salt . . . it brings out the flavors.
              And yes, unless you can get really fresh juicy and tasty in-season tomatos, use canned. They're better than those hard hot house slicers you get in the grocery in the off season.
              JMHO.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Question about questionable item in chili recipe Fri, 02/18/05 3:32 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

quote:
                Originally posted by ericats

quote:

To all,

BB

To neutralize that much acid you'd need a whole bunch of baking soda. I used to use it in my tomato sauce and then quit when I realized it was fruitless to try and neutralize the acidity. By the time one uses enough baking soda, you've ruined the taste of the sauce.
                Just throw in the tbsp of sugar to sweeten it a bit as suggested. If ya can't take the acid, don't eat the sauce.
                Sugar is like salt . . . it brings out the flavors.
                And yes, unless you can get really fresh juicy and tasty in-season tomatos, use canned. They're better than those hard hot house slicers you get in the grocery in the off season.
                JMHO.

From what I've heard, not that it makes sense, but has worked for me, is that the sugar also reduces acid levels in the sauce. I prefer a tomatoe'e taste myself, but that acid can take its toll.. I use the sugar method when making pizza sauce (Qty varies on the brand I use), but in my chili I use whole peeled tomatoes, hand shreaded, juice and all and never had an acid problem... (Probably due to the amount of spices I add)...

ericats

RE: Question about questionable item in chili recipe Sun, 02/20/05 12:48 PM (permalink)
                  Thanks everyone for your replies! It has been very educational! I guess since I use San Marzanos (or in a pinch Muir Glen organic) without citric acid, I don't have a problem with acidity thus I don't need to use sugar.

Thanks again everyone!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com