The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Eddie's Sweet Shop (Queens, NY)...and pizza

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
Eddie's Sweet Shop (Queens, NY)...and pizza Fri, 02/11/05 4:19 PM (permalink)
For the first time in quite a while, I decided to venture out today from my homefront in Manhattan into Queens, NY, where I lived for seven years after college but to which I hadn't ventured in about four or five years. Bear in mind that it takes only about 20 minutes to reach the Queens border from where I sit. But, that's the way it is here; a lot of folks don't tend to travel to the other boroughs often.

My main objective was to try some pizza I'd never had, at a place called Dee's Brick Oven Pizza, in Forest Hills, Queens (Metropolitan Avenue and 71st Road). I'll address that at the end of this review.

As I walked out of Dee's, my intent was to go to a place a few subway stops away called the Georgia Diner (Grand Avenue subway stop, can't remember the street), which made a chocolate cheesecake that was among my all-time favorite desserts. I probably haven't had a piece for 10 years.

But, right across the street was Eddie's Sweet Shop (Metropolitan and Ascan avenues, Forest Hills): a legitimately old-fashioned ice cream counter and sweet shop, with the requisite candy counter and uncomfortable metal stools. I figured, what the heck, how can I pass this up? So, Eddie's it would be.

I was the only person in the place except for the two guys "working" there -- that mainly consisted of talking about the movie Full Metal Jacket. They also, to my amusement, talked about a pizza place they'd just heard of called Nick's. I had to laugh to myself, because Nick's was just a few blocks away from where they stood and has been very popular for many years. These guys definitely aren't roadfooders.

Anyway, I ordered a two-scoop hot fudge sundae with chocolate ice cream, without the nuts. I'm not the biggest ice cream guy, but this was great -- just as I remembered from when I last had it many years ago. They served it in an old-fashioned silver ice cream dish, with the fudge dripping down the sides. The whipped cream was great, and the ice cream itself tasted very fresh. I forced myself to take my time with it. Definitely worth it.

Onto the pizza: Dee's has been billed as having wonderful, cracker-thin crust pizza -- my favorite kind. It was OK, and I'd probably eat it every so often if I lived in that neighborhood. But, the sauce was a little too sweet for my taste, and the crust, while good, wasn't as thin as I'd like. The restaurant itself had a good feel, and smelled great. But, they're moving to larger digs in a few weeks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com