The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Red Lobster Blech!

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
Red Lobster Blech! Thu, 02/17/05 12:53 PM (permalink)
The last time we went to Red Lobster the hubs and I both got platters that were around $15.00 each. They funny thing is the food was like LJS or Captain D's but for 3x the price. We laughed about it, and will not go back. If you're coming through Lex, Ky, try the Regatta seafood place if you want a quality seafood meal!

Andrea

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
    RE: Red Lobster Blech! Thu, 02/17/05 1:09 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndreaB

The last time we went to Red Lobster the hubs and I both got platters that were around $15.00 each. They funny thing is the food was like LJS or Captain D's but for 3x the price. We laughed about it, and will not go back. If you're coming through Lex, Ky, try the Regatta seafood place if you want a quality seafood meal!

Andrea

Same here. I had the "Ultimate Feast" a few months ago. I chewed on the lobster tail for about 10 minutes, the shrimp was cold and greasy, the crab legs.........WHAT CRAB LEGS??? The potato was about the size of my eight year olds fist and overcooked, well, actually it tasted like yesterday's potato. I won't even get into what my kid's ate. The "Lobsterita" was tasty as were the bisquits, good and hot. For seafood here, it's "Bell's" in Chiefland, or "Campbells" in either Bronson or Otter Creek. I can't remember. I could more easily tell you the population of these two towns....and, it's been awhile. Went there last year on the way to Cedar Key.

bam66

• Total Posts: 11
      RE: Red Lobster Blech! Thu, 02/17/05 1:10 PM (permalink)
      Andrea, good call on Red Lobster. I try to stay away from places that give you more breading than seafood! Have you ever been to the Mazzoni Oyster House? My mother was born in Louisville and her maiden name is Mazzoni. The owners are her cousins. Supposed to be great, though I've never had the pleasure. If you're ever travelling to Arizona, you should try Foster's Seafood House in Scottsdale. It's an authentic, New England seafood house. They have all of their seafood flown in daily from Massachusettes. The owner got permission to use the Fosters name from a place back east. Fosters gives you the whole New England seafood house atmosphere, as well as excellent food. AND they treat their customers like gold. Check out www.fostersseafood.com (and no, I don't work there, I just get excited when I make a great find).

~Brian

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
        RE: Red Lobster Blech! Thu, 02/17/05 1:29 PM (permalink)
        Hmm, since I live in Boston and travel to Scottsdale once a month, I'll have to check it out. I doubt though that they have all their seafood flown in from Mass. Looking at the menu there are obvious items that are not local here in MA. Thanks for the tip.

bam66

RE: Red Lobster Blech! Thu, 02/17/05 1:39 PM (permalink)
          No problem Renfrew. If you want to ask any questions about their food, you should email the owner, bill@fosterseafood.com. He has created a great marketing concept that he calls his "email family". By belonging (no charge), you simply mention that you're part of the email family and you receive discounts on several menu items each day. Anyway, Bill personally spends about 35 hours every week simply creating his email newsletter and responding to email requests. He will probably respond to any questions within a day or two.
          Good luck.
          ~Brian

bam66

RE: Red Lobster Blech! Thu, 02/17/05 1:40 PM (permalink)
            Sorry Renfrew, I made a spelling error. That's bill@fostersseafood.com.

AndreaB

RE: Red Lobster Blech! Thu, 02/17/05 5:24 PM (permalink)
              >>Andrea, good call on Red Lobster. I try to stay away from places that give you more breading than seafood! Have you ever been to the Mazzoni Oyster House?<<

NO but I love oysters! When the hubs and I go to Louisville we usually go the the King Fisher, and I have lots of good memories there from childhood. But yah the thing with Red Lobster was they brought out the plates and I thought ha ha ha I could have gotten the same thing at a fast food seafood place for <$5.00!

Andrea

mitros

• Total Posts: 4
                RE: Red Lobster Blech! Sun, 02/20/05 11:24 PM (permalink)
                We haven't been to Red Lobster in years. We have always thought that their food was glorified, high priced, fast food.

CornedBeef

• Total Posts: 3
                  RE: Red Lobster Blech! Mon, 02/21/05 12:55 AM (permalink)
                  Theres somethin fishy about this thread and its not the seafood.

plant???

Not to mention if the owner spends 35+ hours a week on his newletter whos minding the store.

Trebor K

RE: Red Lobster Blech! Mon, 02/21/05 2:30 AM (permalink)
                    On the subject of Red Lobster and blech, are my wife and I the only one's who cringe at the RL commercials where they squeeze an entire lemon on lobster? As lifetime northeast lobster devotees, we would never think of putting lemon on lobster. Butter maybe but we usually eat it plain. Lemon, even in smaller amounts than RL suggests, seems like it would ruin the taste of the lobster. Unless of course something at RL is fishy, as the poster ahead of me suggests and the lemon is used to cover it up.

AndreaB

RE: Red Lobster Blech! Mon, 02/21/05 4:24 AM (permalink)
                      Puh-leeze re the "plant". Can't someone express the fact that in their opinion they got a meal that was not worth what was spent?
                      Not saying got sick, just saying in my opinion the amount we paid was not worth what we got. That's all.......

Andrea

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                        RE: Red Lobster Blech! Mon, 02/21/05 6:49 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by AndreaB

Puh-leeze re the "plant". Can't someone express the fact that in their opinion they got a meal that was not worth what was spent?
                        Not saying got sick, just saying in my opinion the amount we paid was not worth what we got. That's all.......

Andrea

I dont think that your the plant that he's refering to.

Jim in NC

• Total Posts: 186
                          RE: Red Lobster Blech! Mon, 02/21/05 7:18 AM (permalink)
                          We don't call it "The Dead Lobster" fer nuthin'.

bam66

RE: Red Lobster Blech! Tue, 02/22/05 2:20 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by CornedBeef

Theres somethin fishy about this thread and its not the seafood.

plant???

Not to mention if the owner spends 35+ hours a week on his newletter whos minding the store.

I know, after re-reading it it does sound like I'm giving a plug or something. But really, I'm simply trying to turn on anyone travelling through Arizona and looking for great seafood to a wonderful, New England style seafood house. It's actually pretty amazing that you would even find one in the middle of the desert. And yes, the owner really does spend that much time on his emails. He's still single and a workaholic, of course. He's got great managers that take a lot of his workload too!
                            ~Brian

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                              RE: Red Lobster Blech! Tue, 02/22/05 3:20 AM (permalink)
                              Have only eaten at Red Lobster once after getting a gift card from my boss. Truly awful food. But I am licky in that there are fantastic seafood places in Portland and along the Oregon coast,

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
                                RE: Red Lobster Blech! Tue, 02/22/05 7:49 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by mr chips

Have only eaten at Red Lobster once after getting a gift card from my boss. Truly awful food. But I am licky in that there are fantastic seafood places in Portland and along the Oregon coast,

I totally agree. Living as I do in the Chesapeake Bay region, I wouldn't get caught dead at a Red Lobster with so many better places available. But I can understand how some people who live in areas where the seafood options are more limited could hold a different view. What I can't understand is why some people in this area and others near the coasts patronize RL (and why ANYONE on Maryland's Eastern Shore would go to McDonalds -- MCDONALDS!! -- for crabcake sandwiches. Yes, McDonalds on the Eastern Shore are now selling crabcake sandwiches.) Don't they know that (at least around here) they can get much better seafood than what is available at RL that is comparably priced?

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
                                  RE: Red Lobster Blech! Sun, 02/27/05 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                  Regarding Red Lobster--if that is the only seafood restaurant in the area where you live, then I truly feel sorry for you.

On the other hand, if there are "real" seafood restaurants in the area where you live, going to The Dead Lobster would be like going to The Olive Garden when there are REAL Italian Restaurants in the area. Neither option makes any sense to me if there are actually places near you that cook fresh food, rather than microwaving the portions that have been pre-packaged at the corporation's factory kitchens and then frozen.

Believe me, I can take frozen seafood and microwave it just as well as Red Lobster's "kid chefs" can do it.
                                  No, wait--I can probably do it much better than they can!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Red Lobster Blech! Sun, 02/27/05 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Tedbear

Regarding Red Lobster--if that is the only seafood restaurant in the area where you live, then I truly feel sorry for you.

On the other hand, if there are "real" seafood restaurants in the area where you live, going to The Dead Lobster would be like going to The Olive Garden when there are REAL Italian Restaurants in the area. Neither option makes any sense to me if there are actually places near you that cook fresh food, rather than microwaving the portions that have been pre-packaged at the corporation's factory kitchens and then frozen.

Believe me, I can take frozen seafood and microwave it just as well as Red Lobster's "kid chefs" can do it.
                                    No, wait--I can probably do it much better than they can!

Yes, but can you nuke it as well as the "chefs" at Crapplebees!!

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
                                      RE: Red Lobster Blech! Wed, 03/2/05 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                      Crabcakes at McDonald's??? Don't think I care to try McKrabs anytime soon.......

Basically, I just say NO to Red Lobster, but even here in South Carolina, about 100 mi from beach, it seems to be everyone's favorite seafood restaurant. Save the $$$ and just cook Mrs. Paul's fish sticks at home for same effect. Everyone remarks "but I LOVE their cheddar biscuits"...frankly a judge a seafood restuarant by the quality of the fish, not the bread.

pacman

• Total Posts: 160
                                        RE: Red Lobster Blech! Wed, 03/2/05 10:16 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by CarolinaBill

"...but I LOVE their cheddar biscuits"...

By the way, I just purchased some "cheddar biscuits" in 4/$1 mix and bake pouches at the local grocery store. Can't tell the difference. So, even the biscuits aren't enough to drag me in there.

Dan

Mavlily

• Total Posts: 53
                                          RE: Red Lobster Blech! Sun, 05/15/05 8:24 AM (permalink)
                                          I would not recommend Red Lobster to anybody after they abruptly closed their local restaurant here on April 3. The employees, who had no advance notice, arrived for work to find the restaurant being cleaned out and closed. The local police had a Special Olympics benefit there for the past few years and had another one scheduled several weeks after the restaurant closed. They were not informed either. I contacted the head of the restaurant group and was told that it was a "corporate" decision. Since this corporation also owns Olive Garden, I will no longer eat there, either.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
                                            RE: Red Lobster Blech! Sun, 05/15/05 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                            I ate at a Red Lobster once, back in the mid-80s. It was nasty. The customers and their children were loud and wild, the service was bad and the food was just bad. This was on Roosevelt Blvd. in Philadelphia. I'm not sure what's in that spot now. I do know that the one on Route 70 in Cherry Hill has finally closed and I'm wondering what chain they'll bring in to replace it...what else could it be on that main drag but a chain...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com