Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 39
Author
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
2003/05/16 16:51:35 (permalink)

Pork Tenderloins

As a transplanted Iowan in Chicago, I am craving a tenderloin sandwich like the kind you can find back in the Hawkeye State. The kind that is so big, it doesn't allow you to get your hands on the bun because it sticks out so far. May have to make a mad dash to Iowa to satisfy my craving.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/05/19 12:03:01 (permalink)
I have had tenderloins like that in Peoria, one place is called the Tenderloin Shack and I can't think of the name of the other one but it is in the downtown area near the Civic Center complex. The Culvers chain has a decent tenderloin. They are a small regional chain from Wisconsin that is now in the far west 'burbs of Chicago. You can also get great fried chees curds there!
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/05/27 18:36:13 (permalink)
Culver's does have a tenderloin, but it doesn't do justice to the sandwich.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/05/28 11:26:05 (permalink)
I hear you hawkeyejohn, but its better than nothing I'll get the names of those places in Peoria for you next time I visit the inlaws. I went to college in NE Iowa so I know what you're talking about.
janicks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/06/23 22:01:32 (permalink)
The picture that you see here of the pork tenderloin is mine from Nick's Kitchen in Huntington,Indiana...Just wanted to let you know that I have opened a second restaurant in Wabash,In.Nick's Sweet Shop.In addition to the great tenderloins it also has a old fashioned soda fountain.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13549
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/06/29 06:59:41 (permalink)
As I was driving to Indianapolis, I stopped in Columbus, IN at Max and Irma's. I saw on their menu, a pork tenderloin sandwich which indicated it was a regional thing indicating that the other restaurants of the chain did not offer the item. I ordered it. It was huge and served with a side of thin fries. It was crispy and a bit thin, but very good. I believe the entire bill including a tip came to about $8.00

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
stopaj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/08/04 16:57:21 (permalink)
Instead of dashing to Iowa try a trip down to Peru IL. About 90 minutes from Chicago. There is a restaurant there called the Igloo. I grew up on their porks and when I come back to the area to visit thats the first place I eat at. Theyre on the west end of Peru on 4th street. Theyve been family owned since the 30s so they know their porks. I recommend a pork with cheese, fries, and a papaya to drink. Try them out.
Hotrodder
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/08/06 21:29:11 (permalink)
Tenderloin's seem to be hit and miss here in NW Indiana (South Bend). About half the time they end up to be frozen perfectly round pork fritters.

I had better luck in the small town diners around here.

gatorbreath
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/08/13 18:56:14 (permalink)
hawkeyejohn
I feel your pain. I'm living in St. Louis but grew up in Muncie, IN where there was a drive-in restaurant called "Johns Awful Awful" which had the kind of breaded tenderloin you seek. These were awful big and awful good, hence the name. This place is long since gone but the quest for good tenderloin lives on. While viewing the website of the hometown paper I came across this article about such a quest. Link is now broken.

The article described a bunch of writers at the paper looking for a good tenderloin. I realize this doesn't help you out but you might want to keep your eyes open for an article in the suburban Chicago papers on this topic because that is where the departing member of the tendeloin club is departing to. Anyone who likes them this much will surely be able to scare one up in Chicago.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7315
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/08/14 04:17:51 (permalink)
All you that are salivating for a good breaded pork tenderloin...grab yourself a nice fat tenderloin, trim off the silverskin. Cut the meat into at least 1-inch pieces. Then pound it to desired thinness. Dredge in flour, then beaten egg, then your desired coating: cajun flour, cajun cornmeal, italian flavored flour, etc. Fry in hot butter/oil mixture, 50-50 and serve with fresh lemon wedges. Everyone will swear that it's Vitello alla Milanese(veal Milan style). The lemon is essential. My husband begs me to make this as often as possible, especially in February when we are in Palm Springs and the lemons are hanging over the front porch.
cindyloo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/10 11:44:54 (permalink)
I found this link regarding the pork tenderloin, thought it might be enjoyed by many here. Scroll down a bit to see my favorite, from Joensey's in Solon, IA. Now THAT'S a tenderloin!

www.allenbukoff.com/wildBPTiowa03/

chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/10 12:03:21 (permalink)
Thanks a million........this is just what I needed when the doctor's office called yesterday and wants me to come in this afternoon and discuss my high clorestrol!! Sure glad you did not post this the night before my bloodwork or it would have been even higher!! LOL
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/10 13:18:33 (permalink)
Gosh we seem to miss out on alot of good food down here! No such thing as a pork tenderloin sandwich. The only pork tenderloin sold around here is in the meat department and resembles venison backstrap of which, both are excellent. Chicken fried steak is as close as we get. I want to try one of those that's posted up above!
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/10 17:26:23 (permalink)
I'm still looking at these sandwiches. Our pork TENDERLOINS come two to a pack and they are no bigger around than my wrist. Now PORK LOINS are much larger. Can I just pound the h--- out of a slice of this and get the same results??? Help!!
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/10 17:39:58 (permalink)
I looked at the pictures, and have been hankering for one of those sandwiches since! We don't have them in Texas that I know of.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/10 17:52:17 (permalink)
One of the things I miss about living in Missouri is the ability to find pork tenderloin sandwiches "on demand".

Lone Star, I finally found one about a year ago in Giddings. It's the real deal. There's a place right on 290 at the western edge of Giddings, named the Circle W. It's more of a bar than a restaurant, but they have plenty of tables, and families eat there.

Get their Pork Tenderloin sandwich with a side of curly fries (made the right way), and you'll be in heaven.
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/10 20:51:07 (permalink)
Rusty, our's are typically three to a pack, but thin like you said. I've never seen a sandwich like this, but we've been enjoying pork tenderloins on the grill all summmer. Tender, tastes great whether marinated or dry rubbed, and lot's cheaper than steak. I'll have to watch for these sandwiches when I'm traveling.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/10 22:30:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cindyloo

my favorite, from Joensey's in Solon, IA. Now THAT'S a tenderloin!
Lordie! That looks like a heckuva good sandwich :-)

Now I've got to go both to Philly (for a CS or 3) and to Iowa (for a PT). Opposite directions, *grumble* :-)

As an aside, numbers 4, 7, and 8 also look quite good.
Hotrodder
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/10 23:57:13 (permalink)
quote:

I found this link regarding the pork tenderloin, thought it might be enjoyed by many here. Scroll down a bit to see my favorite, from Joensey's in Solon, IA. Now THAT'S a tenderloin!

Those are some messed up tenderloins.. No lettuce or tomato's on all but one of them! You NEED lettuce and tomato's! I'll also put an ick in for the yellow mustard. catsup and lots of it are what you need!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/11 09:10:32 (permalink)
I went to college in NE Iowa, pork tenderloin country. You eat 'em with mustard and mayo....nothing else!
Hotrodder
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/11 15:11:03 (permalink)
quote:
I went to college in NE Iowa, pork tenderloin country. You eat 'em with mustard and mayo....nothing else!

Well I guess I just like a good Indiana tenderloin better ;) I just had a good one for lunch today (along with a nice frosty mug of rootbeer) at Fenders Drive-in in Mishawaka IN.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/19 14:16:48 (permalink)
Just came from lunch w/co-worker and had a tenderloin sandwich that was 3 times bigger than the bun. Pretty decent but this place also is know for their belly buster burgers which are a half pound. The special today was the "Dragon mouth" which was lots of garlic on the burger. They also have a jalepeno cheese burger which I will have to try some time. The place is The Blackberry Inn and I think it's considered to be in Elburn, Il., actually out in the middle of nowhere at the intersection of Ill.Rte.47 and Main Street. Kiddy corner across this same intersection is The Fisherman's Inn, a real pretty setting in an old barn with windows out looking over their trout ponds. Raise and serve their own trout but they have a pretty awesome smoked porkchop. Because of the scenery, this is a popular wedding/ date/ prom spot even though its over 50 miles west of Chicago and in a rural area.
unclefudd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/20 13:55:57 (permalink)
It gets a little pricey, but you can get excellent breaded pork tenderloins from http://www.amanameatshop.com. Ten five-ounce tenderloins, all breaded and ready for the deep fryer, go for $59.95.
If you're really crazy about them, as I am, thirty of them go for $97.95. Just search for pork tenderloins at the website home page, or go to "other products" and scroll down till you find them. When I was a boy in north central Iowa, 55 years ago, the preferred accoutrements were ketchup and dill pickle slices.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/22 09:23:37 (permalink)
I have been trying pork products in Iowa over the past week (stuffed pork chop at Machine Shed, tenderloin at George the Chili King and others). What with all of the raw materials around, you'd think that Iowans would have learned not to waste pigs like that. The tenderloin was OK, but the only outstanding thing about the dried out pork chop was its size. They need to at least add some North Carolina BBQ and country ham to their menus out here. Of course, Cracker Barrel still offers the 'Uncle Herchel's" breakfast with good country ham, but don't ask for "red eye gravy" to soak your biscuits in the midwest.
spadoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/29 12:36:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

As a transplanted Iowan in Chicago, I am craving a tenderloin sandwich like the kind you can find back in the Hawkeye State. The kind that is so big, it doesn't allow you to get your hands on the bun because it sticks out so far. May have to make a mad dash to Iowa to satisfy my craving.

Hawkeye--Minneapolis, Minnesota has a place on North central Ave called Sully's. They make a pork tendeloin sandwich served with french fries. The sandwich is served on buttered toast and is a big thick breaded piece of Iowa pork. This place has a central door and you can go left for the bar or roight for the restaurant. Either side will serve you the sandwich and/or the beer.

Also, The Peppermint Twist in Delano, Minnesota is featured in the newest Roadfood book by the Sterns. They serve a pork tenderloin on a bun w/ fries.

Despite what we say about the cheerleaders in Iowa, all Minnesotans eat Iowa Pork!
Prairie Mary
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/09/29 14:21:34 (permalink)
Heck, until last May I didn't know about tenderloins. Saw it on the menu at a diner when out in Grinnell, AI. Ordered it and was pleased with it, pleased to have found something regional. Now that I have a new digital camra, I'll be shooting glamour shots of my meals such as I see here.

- Prairie mary
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/12/22 16:35:44 (permalink)
quote:

I just attained one of my personal goals, set back in September when I first saw this thread and post. I had lunch today at Joensey's in Salon Iowa and it was every bit as good as I dreamed. The tenderloin was delicious and for the first time I can remember I, I wasn't able to eat everything on my plate. The pork was prepared perfectly and I couldn't beleive the size. I happened to have a tape measure in my pocket and the rectangular shaped hunk of happiness was 11" by 7" in size. Frequently I find tenderloins are flattened so thin that all you taste is breading, but that most definately didn't happen here. The only quibble is my fries, although perfectly fried were cold. The cole slaw was very good and I was so overwhelmed by the hunk of meat I forgot about the potatoes. I just wish I could have tried a couple of other things on the menu. I saw one guy eating a hot beef sandwich that had my mouth watering and another with a huge ham steak . They also had fried catfish and buffalo burgers on the menu which looked intruiging. The place itself is classic roadfood ambiance. A small town tavern, most of the patrons looked liked farmers, mechanics or construction workers, but with one table of housewives on a girls outing and another young mother with a gaggle of children. I notice they had some kind of macaroni & cheese bites (?) dish for kids. Friendly fast service. I know I'm not in heaven, but Iowa has to be pretty close. Especially since I get to eat at the Colony Inn in Amana tonight.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/12/22 17:06:22 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I have only one rule of thumb for tenderloin sandwiches: if the meat isn't nearly about twice the size of the bun, the place doesn't do it right.
Once I had one in Oquawka, Illinois (right down the street from the grave of an elephant) that was so large that they had to turn it sideways to bring it out of the teeny little kitchen and I had to eat it by putting two tables together. Now THAT was a tenderloin sandwich, folks.... (Well, I ordered the "large" one.)
Only Slightly Exaggeratedly (Like Myself [Ahem]), Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
Coops3
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2003/12/22 21:47:05 (permalink)
I believe the best pork tenderloin can be found at a little watering hole known as "The Frog" located on Lake Wawasee in Syracuse, Indiana..... It's tough to finish with at least 2"-3" outside the bun......
lancito
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2004/07/24 18:25:10 (permalink)

I saw this thread a few weeks ago - I am a huge fan of the Iowa
large Pork Tenderloin sandwiches! I crave them at times, so I make my own.
But I saw the url for the Amana Meats, and ended up getting some for my Birthday. They were excellent - I recommend them!
Now, I think when I make them myself, I will freeze them first, as they are best when just fried to a light golden brown, crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside. I use Pork loin, instead of the tenderloin, the taste is the same if it's fresh.Love those huge out of the bun porkies! Many recipes on the Net if you do a search-
Made Rites recipes , too! Happy eating!
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1