My Own Cincinnati Chili

Author
FoodDude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
2005/02/26 17:06:43 (permalink)

My Own Cincinnati Chili

I was watching some episodes on Food Network Canada (we have our own version up here) that talked about Cincinnati style chili. I got a little curious about it and checked out some of the sites pertaining to this cullinary specialty (Skyline Chill, Gold Star Chili, etc.). Then I decided I wanted to try some for myself. However, since there is nothing like this up here in the "Frozen Tundra", I decided to try and make some for myself.

I checked out several recipies on the internet that show how to make this style of chili, and after slowly studying as many as I could, I wrote down and cooked up my own version I call Cincinnati Red Chili.

Here's how I created it:

Fry up 2lbs of ground beef, add salt and pepper to taste
Drain fat from meat, place into pot and add:

6 cups of water with 4 tbls liquid beef bouillon
1 large (or 2 medium) onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans tomato paste
3 tbls vinegar
1/2 tblsp worcestershire sauce
1 square unsweetened chocolate, grated (or 4 tbls cocco powder)
1 tbls chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp each: all spice, ground cloves, cumin, cayenne pepper, tumeric, coriander, and oregano.
1/4 tsp salt

Stir in ingrediants, heat to a boil, then simmer for at least 4 hours. Serve.

I tried it 3-way with both spaghetti and shredded cheese and also hot dogs and cheese. It certainly tasted different from any other chili I had before but I thought it was absolutly delicious (we don't have any of those oyster crackers in Canada though). But since I'm an amateur at this, I will leave it with the experts (native of or from the Cincinnati region) who live for this dish to see if I got it right or if I did something horribly wrong" />.

Feel free to critique me on my recipie or, if you're a brave enough soul, try and cook this dish for yourself. Let me know how it turns out. Thanks.

6 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1