Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Corn On The Cob

Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 139 of 139
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
RE: Corn On The Cob Sat, 10/18/08 7:20 AM (permalink)
About the end of the season in Jersey...paid about $2.00 a dozen this summer!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
    RE: Corn On The Cob Sat, 10/18/08 3:24 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grillnut The frozen isn't as good as fresh, but it's better than anything I've found at the supermarket.
    How do you freeze it yourselves?

cy_dugas

• Total Posts: 199
      RE: Corn On The Cob Sat, 10/18/08 5:34 PM (permalink)
      Boil your corn with or after boiling seafood. IF you have leftovers, use for a great corn soup!!!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Corn On The Cob Sat, 10/18/08 5:57 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:
        Originally posted by Grillnut The frozen isn't as good as fresh, but it's better than anything I've found at the supermarket.

You will need:
        Fresh Corn
        1 Large pot of boiling water
        Lots of ice
        Vacuum food sealer or "ziploc" type freezer bags
        2 large bowls, one filled with cold water and ice
        1 sharp knife (mandalin slicer if you have one)
        1 Large spoon

Find your largest pot and fill 2/3 with water and bring to a rolling boil
        While water is coming to boil set up large bowl with ice water
        Dehusk and silk your corn
        Blanch the corn on cob (4-7 minutes, the sweeter the corn the less time)
        Remove corn from boiling water and place it in your large bowl with water and ice
        cool corn for as long as you cooked it. (6 minute blanch = 6 minute cool down)

If you are keeping the corn on the cob
        freezer bag it now
        remove as much air as possible
        label and date place in freezer

If you are making whole kernel corn

grab ear by the small end
        cut down the length of the ear about 2/3 of the way through the kernel (cut into the other empty bowl)

the kernels may stick together like bricks with mortar but they break apart easily.

Bag the corn into your freezer bags
        get as much air out as possible
        label and date
        place in freezer

You can use the boiling water about 5 batches before you need to change it.

Viola you have home made frozen corn in your freezer

to reheat your corn

place bag in microwave for about 3-4 minutes

Grillnut

• Total Posts: 147
          RE: Corn On The Cob Mon, 10/20/08 5:49 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:

We steam it on the cob, eat what we want, cut what's left off the cob, shove it in a zipper bag, and into the freezer.

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
            RE: Corn On The Cob Mon, 12/8/08 4:45 AM (permalink)
            i steam my corn, whole, on the cob in a large (20" diameter) 2-tier aluminum chinese steamer. it's the best way that i've found so far.

i've tried the grilling method.... too dry.. boiling takes away too much flavor imho..

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
              RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 12/12/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by tmiles

quote:
              Originally posted by Sundancer7

Does anyone know how to obtain the Mirai seed. It is not available in the Knoxville, TN area. Thanks

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Park seed sells it in small packets for the home garden, as does Harris seeds. You can find both with an easy Google search. The Mirai link that I provided shows about a dozen companies, but some sell only commercial amounts. You can't go wrong with Park or Harris

My new Parks catalog came a few days ago. I note that the Mirai corn is not listed with the other corn, and I wondered if it was discontinued, As it turns out, Mirai has a page of it's own near the front of the catalog. The Mirai brand covers several sub types. They have yellow, white, bicolor (what I plant), and mini.

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                RE: Corn On The Cob Sat, 10/13/12 9:06 AM (permalink)
                My family came from Iowa and we would go there. Basically the state is a cornfield ocean in July with towns basically carved out of them. One could literally smell the land. I remember at least one time eating a bunch of corn on the cob at grandmas, and it didn't need any help. No need for butter, salt and especially crap like cilantro. Just the wholesome greatness of the holy corn.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                  RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 9:46 AM (permalink)
                  Spread, rolled or dipped?
                  Our sweet corn has come in here in Massachusetts. We grow the best, but about 20 other states would disagree!!!!

While eating it last night, I thought about the ways folks apply butter. As a kid, I was taught to take a pat of butter.......put it on your plate, and then use a knife to spread it on your cob. My wife grew up in a family where one rolled a cob over a stick of butter. A Marine pal thought that the only way was to dip in melted butter. (no double dipping on the last 2 methods please.......)

I had a really tough time getting a crop established this year, but what came up is producing vintage corn.  It is so good that I don't even bother with the butter. 

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                    RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 10:00 AM (permalink)
                    Unless you lived in Illinois/Iowa and experienced fresh sweet corn, you don't know what your missing...kinda like a chicago italian beef served wet.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                      RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 10:43 AM (permalink)
                      I tried a few of the "husk-on" grilling methods but have reverted to my "basic method" both for taste and convenience.

Go to garage, deck, or patio, husk corn, remove silk, put detrius in garbage.

Rinse last of silk off in sink.

About 10 minures before the meat is to go on, start husked ears over indirect heat on Weber Grill, using tongs do 1/4 turn every minute.  When 'brown & yellow", the corn is done and will retain 'butter-melting heat' for 20 minutes or so.  Butter, salt & pepper to taste.  I like to consume a few ears while the steaks are 'resting'.

If there are a few burned kernals, don't worry - you won't taste  'burned'.  Don't know why this 'is', but you won't.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
                        RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 11:30 AM (permalink)
                        tmiles

Spread, rolled or dipped?
                        I start out trying to spread, move to rolled when the pat falls off the knife, and eventually wind up saying the heck with it and using my hand to smear the butter on the corn.

Dipped is usually reserved for feeding large groups of people; for example, the corn & brat roasts that spring up like weeds around here.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                          RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 12:18 PM (permalink)
                          Prime corn time here in SE NYS is just about here!  The corn around here is VERY good, as we are right around the famous Black Dirt region of Florida/Pine Island NY.  The soil is very very rich, and produces some of the finest produce in the country. 

mamaduck43

• Total Posts: 184
                            RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 12:41 PM (permalink)
                            My mother was a sweet corn purist...  We had a good sized garden, and the fruits of that garden provided us with a winter's worth of veggies and fruits each year....
                            Corn was planted on a schedule that allowed us a supply throughout the summer.....  Extra rows were dedicated to our annual family reunion each August....  That date was decided when the seed catalogs arrived in January, each year...
                            Mother would start a pot of water on the stove - - when it started boiling, she would go to the garden and pick a meals worth of corn - - she would shuck it on her way from the garden into the house - about a 2 minute walk - and plop the ears into the water...  She added nothing to the water - - no salt and only at the end of each 'crop' she might add a spoonful of sugar...  Real butter was a must - - even when $$$ was short, there was always a hoard of butter for the corn... 
                            I admit to being spoiled...  Varieties have come out that hold their sweetness from picking to eating, but nothing beats what I grew up with..... 

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                              RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 3:52 PM (permalink)
                              Cali corn fresh from the farm...

blizzardstormus

• Total Posts: 274
                                RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                I eat corn on the cob the way my father taught me. After boiling, take a slice of bread, apply copious amount of butter on bread and roll the corn over the butter, then salt and pepper. This is is good for 3 to 4 ears, adding more butter as needed. Slice a fresh garden tomato and make a sandwich with the butter-soaked bread. HEAVEN!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                  It has been prime corn season here for the last 3 weeks, I have eaten so much corn that.... while you know what happens to corn the next day.

I have about 4 dozen ears in the fridge,  I have found that microwaving them is simple, easy and tastes great.  I husk the ears, place 6 together and wrap in saran wrap (the kind that seals) I make a pouch put the corn in and seal it shut.

place pouch in microwave and 6 big ears takes 8 minutes on my microwave, they come out so hot and tender and juicy.  PLUS i dont have to heat up the stove or grill.  When done a little cajun shake, a spritz of butter spray and devour

I have been eating about 6 to 10 ears a day

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
                                    Re:Corn On The Cob Fri, 07/19/13 9:13 PM (permalink)
                                    My Last meal  request -Fresh  Jersey Corn , sliced Jersey tomato , nice cold shrimp....

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                                      Re:Corn On The Cob Sat, 07/20/13 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                      That's a wonderful idea Blizzardstormus!

Thanks for sharing.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 139 of 139

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com