The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rolled Tacos from SanDiego

mexyum

• Total Posts: 1
Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Wed, 03/2/05 3:24 PM (permalink)
I spent a summer in San Diego back in 1988 and fell in love with the rolled tacos. I live in Michigan and have been looking for something comparable here ever since. I believe the restaurant I frequented was in National City. The place had big painted windows. Anyway, you got a tray of 5 large fried rolled tacos absolutely covered with sour cream, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. I still remember the cost: $1.88
My wife and I are planing a trip out there in a year or two and I'm sooooo looking forward to trying them again. Does anyone in Cali take a shining to these? Let me know!

Thanks, Brian

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 03/4/05 1:27 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mexyum

I spent a summer in San Diego back in 1988 and fell in love with the rolled tacos. I live in Michigan and have been looking for something comparable here ever since. I believe the restaurant I frequented was in National City. The place had big painted windows. Anyway, you got a tray of 5 large fried rolled tacos absolutely covered with sour cream, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. I still remember the cost: $1.88
    My wife and I are planing a trip out there in a year or two and I'm sooooo looking forward to trying them again. Does anyone in Cali take a shining to these? Let me know!

Thanks, Brian

Look up Chicos on Division street (by 36th)... They'll probably take care of ya! I believe they're called Taquitos..

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
      RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 03/4/05 1:38 AM (permalink)
      They are availible in nearly every Mexican resturant in San Diego. It is the best cheapest lunch in town. When you get closer to your trip repost and I cn give you some ideas. The places change hands all the time and the quality changes each time.

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
        RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 03/4/05 8:56 AM (permalink)
        Many in this neck of the woods call those “flautas”, but others call them taquitos. Normally they are filled with chicken, but you can find them with beef or pork.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7597
          RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 04/29/05 6:57 PM (permalink)
          Flautas are made with flour torillas, where tacquitos are made with the corn.

If you have a Sam's or Costco, look in the frozen food section. They sell big boxes or bags or both chicken and beef. I prefer the beef.

The number one place for tacquitos is Celito Linda in Olverva Street... Los Angeles.

After finishing them, go down the street for a French Dip at Phillipes!

I usually have the tacquitos for my dessert.

Salustra

• Total Posts: 510
            RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 04/29/05 8:01 PM (permalink)
            There is a shop in the Rancho Bernardo section of San Diego that even does fish taquitos--cabbage takes the place of lettuce and they use the same white sauce as in fish tacos in place of sour cream. Yummmm

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 04/29/05 9:23 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Salustra

There is a shop in the Rancho Bernardo section of San Diego that even does fish taquitos--cabbage takes the place of lettuce and they use the same white sauce as in fish tacos in place of sour cream. Yummmm

That does sound tasty! Never seen or heard of anything like that in this neck of the woods...

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 04/29/05 9:25 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by mar52

Flautas are made with flour torillas, where tacquitos are made with the corn.

If you have a Sam's or Costco, look in the frozen food section. They sell big boxes or bags or both chicken and beef. I prefer the beef.

The number one place for tacquitos is Celito Linda in Olverva Street... Los Angeles.

After finishing them, go down the street for a French Dip at Phillipes!

I usually have the tacquitos for my dessert.

Corn does sound like the better idea! But around here (West Michigan), they use the flour shells for Taquitos...

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                  RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 04/29/05 11:22 PM (permalink)
                  Where I live, flautas are never made with flour tortillas, only corn. Tacquitos aren't always rolled, in fact, very seldom are. It usually refers to a small, soft corn tortilla filled with a small amount of something. Not a big production number covered with mounds of shredded iceberg and cheese.

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
                    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 04/29/05 11:57 PM (permalink)
                    The best taquitos I ever had were from a little corner tacoria in Tula, Mexico. I had just walked down into town from the mountain ruins of ancient tula and was hungry and thirsty. Had a big plate full of the tastiest beef taquitos and a couple big glasses of natural fruit juice flavored with hibiscus blossoms.
                    Mmmm, mmm, good. I can still taste those crunchy delicacies.

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
                      RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego Fri, 04/29/05 11:59 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Salustra

Fish tacos are great. Seems to be a California and Baja thing.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com