The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

New Thai restaurant in Central NJ

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
New Thai restaurant in Central NJ Mon, 03/7/05 5:58 PM (permalink)
My significant other & I enjoy Thai food, so when a new place opened in nearby Raritan NJ (Rt. 206 & Orlando Drive, in the Stop & Shop strip mall), I was eager to try it.

Our opinions on the place are pretty much in synch. on everything about this new place, Sukhothai. The decor is very nice, in fact, much nicer than one would normally expect at a strip mall restaurant.

The food was best described as "decent". Not bad, but just not up to the standards of the other Thai places that we frequent, such as the various locations of Thai Kitchen.

With time, the food may get better, but the management needs to improve in two important areas before I will become a regular patron:

* Reduce the prices by a few bucks. By comparison with the competition, Sukhothai was a bit pricy.
* Improve the skill of the servers and the attention to customer satisfaction.

Please allow me to elaborate a bit on the second point. My friend ordered a fish dish. As the older male server approached the table with that fish dish, I could see that he was not holding the plate level, and as he got closer to the table, it really appeared that the entire fish was going to slide right off the platter, and onto the table. He "saved" it at the last moment, but not before about 90% of the sauce sloshed over the edge of the platter, winding up on the table, the floor, and on one of my shoes. The server's only reaction to this situation was to mumble something about being scared. There was no attempt to clean the table, the floor or my shoe. There was also no attempt at bringing some extra sauce for the fish. I know that my friend would have enjoyed his dinner much more if the sauce had been replenished.

My shrimp dish was fairly good, but at the price ($16.95 for a portion that could have been a bit bigger) it was not a good value.
It should be noted that the temperature of the rice that both of us received was somewhere between luke-warm and cold. This is an absolute no-no in any kind of Asian restaurant!

A few minutes later, the young female server came to refill our water goblets. After filling mine, she managed to dump the entire contents in my lap, saturating the front and the seat of my pants, and soaking me down to my underwear. She did make a good attempt at wiping up the remainder of the water, but the bulk of it had already soaked into my clothing. On a wintry night, exiting a restaurant with wet clothing is not something that I aspire to, but I attempted to put it in perspective as something that can happen--especially if the server is somewhat inexperienced.

Although the female server was very sweet and apologetic, there was no attempt to "make things right" by offering a free dessert or some other little favor. It just seems to me that good management would dictate that a customer should be placated a bit after being dumped on twice--literally!

Since there was no recognition (either by adjusting the bill or by providing something extra, "on the house")by the management that we received less than stellar service, we do not plan on returning to Sukhothai anytime soon.

With 3 locations of Thai Kitchen virtually surrounding Sukhothai, and with all of them serving better food at lower prices, I think you can understand our reluctance to return to this new place.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com