The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

great downtown Chicago roast beef

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
great downtown Chicago roast beef Fri, 03/18/05 2:14 PM (permalink)
I just got back from lunch at The Berghoff Cafe, which is downstairs from the main restaurant on Adams just west of State in the Chicago Loop. Very impressive roast beef sandwich. They sliced the beef right in front of me and piled it in very generous amounts onto a fresh and chewy kaiser roll. I'd put this beef sandwich among the best I've eaten.

jlobough

• Total Posts: 94
    RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Fri, 03/18/05 2:49 PM (permalink)
    danimal,

Thanks for your review. I've been down there as well and I certainly agree with you on the roast beef sandwich. It was excellent when I had it not too long ago. They also had a great bratwurst sandwich (of course, that's to be expected there). The Berghoff Cafe is a great place to grab lunch in an area where decent and inexpensive lunch options can be limited.

Vital Information

• Total Posts: 30
      RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Mon, 03/21/05 12:31 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by danimal15

I just got back from lunch at The Berghoff Cafe, which is downstairs from the main restaurant on Adams just west of State in the Chicago Loop. Very impressive roast beef sandwich. They sliced the beef right in front of me and piled it in very generous amounts onto a fresh and chewy kaiser roll. I'd put this beef sandwich among the best I've eaten.

Did you have it in the bar or the new cafeteria place in the basement. I always loved the roast beef in the bar. Not that long ago, I had one in the basement and it was not nearly as good. The meat tasted airy--I believed they used one of those needle tenderizers--just un-natural tasting. I wonder if it's the same at the bar.

My favorite roast beef, as compared to Italian beef, in Chicago, is Manny's. It is actually my favorite thing there.

Rob

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
        RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Tue, 03/22/05 10:23 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Vital Information

quote:

Did you have it in the bar or the new cafeteria place in the basement. I always loved the roast beef in the bar. Not that long ago, I had one in the basement and it was not nearly as good. The meat tasted airy--I believed they used one of those needle tenderizers--just un-natural tasting. I wonder if it's the same at the bar.

My favorite roast beef, as compared to Italian beef, in Chicago, is Manny's. It is actually my favorite thing there.

Rob

I had it at the basement cafeteria. I'll have to try upstairs now to see if I notice a difference. I've never tried the roast beef at Manny's, but now I plan to. The corned beef there is hard to pass up!

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
          RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Tue, 03/22/05 11:15 AM (permalink)
          The brisket sandwiches at Braverman's were really good, (in the 70's) but I suppose they're long gone now.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
            RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Tue, 03/22/05 12:03 PM (permalink)
            quote:

Rob

I thought I was the only one here that holds Manny's roast beef in such high regard. It is not often you can get a real roast beef sandwich.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
              RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Tue, 03/22/05 12:04 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by sugarlander

The brisket sandwiches at Braverman's were really good, (in the 70's) but I suppose they're long gone now.

My father used to take me there. Long gone. Not forgotten.

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
                RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Tue, 03/22/05 12:17 PM (permalink)
                It's sad to see popular, busy places go down. Sometimes neighborhood changes can be deadly.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
                  RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Tue, 03/22/05 8:27 PM (permalink)
                  From an earlier thread
                  Back in the day when a 2 or 3 Martini lunch was accepted as normal, Several Bars that catered to business folk in the Chicago Loop had carvers serving steamship roast beef sandwiches on a Kaiser that had the top half dipped in the Au Jus. Horseradish served on the side.

fastfood

• Total Posts: 82
                    RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Tue, 07/12/05 2:31 AM (permalink)
                    quote:

I bet it wasn't very generous at all.More the likely the slicer was adjusted to slice thinly insted of thicker which gives the illusion of more.Its an age old trick to make people think they have more.One time here at Arby's somebody mistakenly set the slicer to cut thicker then usualy and people though we were skeeting them out of their beef. We even went as far as to go get the meat scale and weigh one womans roast beef to prove it was 5 ounces.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                      RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Tue, 07/12/05 6:21 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by sugarlander

It's sad to see popular, busy places go down. Sometimes neighborhood changes can be deadly.
                      Right on. Damn developers...

RedGreene

• Total Posts: 37
                        RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Tue, 07/12/05 8:10 AM (permalink)
                        fastfood...not to be mean-spirited because I know you work at Arby's, but Arby's is a cheap imitation of what a real roast beef sandwich should be.

fastfood

• Total Posts: 82
                          RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Wed, 07/13/05 2:19 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by RedGreene

fastfood...not to be mean-spirited because I know you work at Arby's, but Arby's is a cheap imitation of what a real roast beef sandwich should be.

Thats your opinion I will respect that.

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
                            RE: great downtown Chicago roast beef Wed, 07/13/05 4:05 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by fastfood

quote:

I bet it wasn't very generous at all.More the likely the slicer was adjusted to slice thinly insted of thicker which gives the illusion of more.Its an age old trick to make people think they have more.One time here at Arby's somebody mistakenly set the slicer to cut thicker then usualy and people though we were skeeting them out of their beef. We even went as far as to go get the meat scale and weigh one womans roast beef to prove it was 5 ounces.

The "illusion" of more may not really matter in the end, because thinly cut meats can taste much better in a sandwich...in particular, I find if roast beef is cut too thick, it is too chewy, and ruins the sandwich. I much prefer the slicing standards that tend towards thinner, such as you would see in most continental European sandwiches. My Italian father would also slice the thinnest, most delicious meats on his trusty old industrial slicer.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com