Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Loosemeat...?

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 112 of 112
Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
RE: Loosemeat...? Sun, 07/22/07 12:05 PM (permalink)
I've seen a sloppy joe sold as BBQ in Maryland before. I can't tell you how disapointed I am when I find out I stood in line for sloppy joe.

Luckily, the Sloppy Joe as BBQ is not something I see all the time. When I do see it, it is at something like a farm fair, school event or chuch meal. I've never seen it at a restaurant or big festival.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Loosemeat...? Fri, 11/16/07 12:36 AM (permalink)
    Well, this topic has been dead for several months.. Hopefully some new posters here have some input, or maybe some of the old timers found a new place to report on..

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
      RE: Loosemeat...? Fri, 11/16/07 9:39 AM (permalink)

Ya can't beat the "turbo" at Wag's Restaurant in Tucson, AZ!

DD

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
        RE: Loosemeat...? Fri, 11/16/07 3:29 PM (permalink)
        DD, that's an independent place and not one of the old Walgreen's affiliates, right?

Brad

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
          RE: Loosemeat...? Fri, 11/16/07 4:03 PM (permalink)
          I see Hillary and her "entourage" stiffed a poor waitress on a $157.00 bill at a Maid-rite loose meat restaurant in Iowa this week.
          Then they tried to back pedal and said it never happened. Shame - the very people the democRATS are trying to woo.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
            RE: Loosemeat...? Sun, 11/18/07 1:53 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Brad_Olson

DD, that's an independent place and not one of the old Walgreen's affiliates, right?

Brad

Definitely an independent.

Brocktoon

• Total Posts: 10
              RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 11/26/07 1:51 AM (permalink)
              The Maid-Rite here (Springfield, IL) claims to be the first drive-thru in the country. I likem but they're kind of expensive for what they are. The special is two maids, fries, and root beer for 6 bucks.

ayersian

RE: Loosemeat...? Thu, 11/29/07 10:45 AM (permalink)
                Brocktoon, you're making me so hungry! I've only had a Maid-Rite once but cannot wait to have them again! I was so pleased with that sandwich that I bought the T-shirt.

Brocktoon

• Total Posts: 10
                  RE: Loosemeat...? Fri, 11/30/07 5:54 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by ayersian

Brocktoon, you're making me so hungry! I've only had a Maid-Rite once but cannot wait to have them again! I was so pleased with that sandwich that I bought the T-shirt.

mmmm delicious, juicy maid-rites anytime i want....

sorry! wink wink.

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
                    RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 12/3/07 3:49 AM (permalink)
                    I agree, Maid-rites are expensive for what you get. We get around that by buying just the cooked meat to go. Our last purchase a month ago was two pounds for 10.02. We added our own buns and onions, pickles, mustard, and fed a mob for cheap.

We duplicate the steamed bun effect by wrapping the sandwich in wax paper and giving a few seconds in the mike. Besides the raw onions, we like to also saute some more and throw them in, but that's just us, we put onion in everything.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                      RE: Loosemeat...? Tue, 12/4/07 11:38 PM (permalink)
                      I have had loose meat sammies as far west as Central Colorado. There was a great place in downtown Colorado Springs that had steamed loose meat sandwiches. Served with mustard, cheese and not much else, they were great on a cold winter night!! Haven't seen them in Phoenix area as of yet but still looking!

David O.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                        RE: Loosemeat...? Wed, 12/5/07 9:23 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by boyardee65

I have had loose meat sammies as far west as Central Colorado. There was a great place in downtown Colorado Springs that had steamed loose meat sandwiches. Served with mustard, cheese and not much else, they were great on a cold winter night!! Haven't seen them in Phoenix area as of yet but still looking!

David O.

Check some desertdog postings. I think he found them in Arizona.

drummagick

• Total Posts: 167
                          RE: Loosemeat...? Sun, 12/9/07 11:45 PM (permalink)
                          I knew I was never going to find loosemeats/taverns/Maid Rites/whatever in Washington state so I made a batch a while back and I liked them very much. I'm not sure that the kids were so impressed, but they don't like sloppy joes either.

I think maybe I'll make some more this week and eat them all myself :)

md

• Total Posts: 8
                            RE: Loosemeat...? Thu, 12/13/07 1:23 AM (permalink)
                            There is a little place called Krumbly Burger in Troy, MO that serves a loosemeat sandwich that is very good. It does not seem to have any type of sauce, and is not strongly seasoned, but it is awesome. We sometimes drives 40 min. one way just to get their sandwiches. If you are ever a little northwest of St. Louis in the area of Hwys 61 and 47, Krumbly Burger is on Front St. in Troy, about 1-1.5 mile west of 61, and a block or so south of 47, behind a Burger King. They have a fairly wide variety of items on the menu, but we cannot order anything but the Krumbly Burger and homemade potato chips, that's why we go up there.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                              RE: Loosemeat...? Thu, 12/13/07 3:23 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Brocktoon

The Maid-Rite here (Springfield, IL) claims to be the first drive-thru in the country. I likem but they're kind of expensive for what they are. The special is two maids, fries, and root beer for 6 bucks.

Our Maid-Rite 50's Diner in Metro Center (Peoria, IL) currently has a coupon (good 11 am - 3 pm) for Maid Rite, Fries & Soft Drink for $4.99; add a shake for 90 cents. Another coupon (for breakfast 6 am - 11 am) is for Rite Browns (Hash browns topped with shredded cheese and Maid Rite Meat) for $3.30.

RoadGlide Bill

• Total Posts: 2
                                RE: Loosemeat...? Wed, 12/19/07 6:57 AM (permalink)
                                FYI Michael. I'm originally from Ottumwa. For as long as I can remember (and I'm 57) the Canteen in the Alley has been in business in Ottumwa. Twice in it's long history the city fathers have tried to tear it down. The last time they wanted to build a parking garage in its location but the town threw such a fit they actually built the parking garage OVER and around the Canteen. Tom Arnold is originally from Ottumwa and the Landsford Diner that you see on the Roseanne show is almost an exact copy of the Canteen. It has Maid Rite beat all to he**. If you are ever in Ottumwa the Canteen is located downtown across the street from the old Hotel Ottumwa, under the parking garage. Well worth the trip an a review!
                                Bill

matty373

• Total Posts: 17
                                  RE: Loosemeat...? Thu, 12/20/07 6:34 PM (permalink)
                                  Man, you guys are making me hungry. I grew up in southern Missouri and we had a maid-rite place. They even made their own root beer if I remember right. I rarely visit without going there. I may have to re-think my holiday travel plans.

mitetryit

• Total Posts: 1
                                    RE: Loosemeat...? Sun, 02/17/08 10:25 PM (permalink)
                                    I'm from Des Moines and of course grew up with maid rites. But they were a treat that my parents would buy only occasionally.
                                    We made our own version at home in a double boiler (still the way all of us kids make it today). My Parents bought a bar in the late 70's and were going to put Maid-rites on the menu, but were told that the name is copywrited and they would have to use loosemeat or beefburger. After MUCH discussion between my parents and several of their friends they decide to go with loose meat since it did have loose meat but was not a "beefburger" The bar thing didn't last but we still make our own maid rites to this day

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                                      RE: Loosemeat...? Sun, 02/17/08 10:48 PM (permalink)
                                      My loose meat receipe....

85% ground beef
                                      diced onion (I use the sweet onion, not the spanish version)
                                      worchester sauce
                                      cumin
                                      salt & pepper to taste
                                      chicken broth (homemade if I have any, or Swanson)
                                      cheese whiz
                                      yellow mustard
                                      sugar
                                      hot dog buns (much easier to eat the sandwich)

I cook up the meat with the onion...drain any fat away...add 3 or squirts of worchester, cumin, salt and pepper to taste, a little sugar, and then chicken broth...cook that down until it just moist...take a steamed bun...add some yellow mustard, add the meat to the hot dog bun..some extra onions if you want..then a streak of heated cheese whiz (I buy the whiz in the squirt plastic containers, they tell you how long to nuke it...but only use the real whiz. Then enjoy...they have been a hit with everybody for years...and very easy to make. Any meat left over can be frozen..then just add some chicken broth to reheat.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
                                        RE: Loosemeat...? Mon, 02/18/08 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by mitetryit

I'm from Des Moines and of course grew up with maid rites. But they were a treat that my parents would buy only occasionally.
                                        We made our own version at home in a double boiler (still the way all of us kids make it today). My Parents bought a bar in the late 70's and were going to put Maid-rites on the menu, but were told that the name is copywrited and they would have to use loosemeat or beefburger. After MUCH discussion between my parents and several of their friends they decide to go with loose meat since it did have loose meat but was not a "beefburger" The bar thing didn't last but we still make our own maid rites to this day.

How 'bout posting your recipe?

trzhotel

• Total Posts: 136
                                          RE: Loosemeat...? Wed, 05/21/08 2:01 PM (permalink)
                                          Hello,

I just recently started to get into these loosemeat burgers. I think a couple days ago I had a Maid-rite with a bowl of chili dumped on top for $3.79 on special in West Des Moines. My job takes me across central Iowa and many diners make these sandwiches according to their own recipes. My passion is tenderloins, http://des-loines.blogspot.com/ , but I may add these to my blog or start a new beef-burger one. These sandwiches have a legend of their own that needs to be told.

When Maid-Rite modernized their franchise agreements, many split off from the central company and went independent with new names. They are identifiable by their keeping mostly red colored counters in the center of their dining areas.

It gets overlooked that these sandwiches are kinda/sorta healthy, in a fast food moral/nutrition equivalency way.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
                                            RE: Loosemeat...? Wed, 05/21/08 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                            I have to wonder how these are related to "horseshoes"

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                              Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 112 of 112

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com