The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mexican vs. Chinese

smellybeans

• Total Posts: 1
Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 1:28 PM (permalink)
Well, which food do you prefer and why??Personally I prefer Mexican food because of all the flavor in the food over Chinese which just seems real dull..

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 4:10 PM (permalink)
    Bad Chinese is dull. Good Chinese is anything but dull. But I think the same applies to Mexican. The typical "Mexican" food served in the US is tortilla + meat + tomato/chile sauce + cheese = nearly every dish on the menu. Mexico is a large country with regional food traditons producing a cuisine which is much more varied and interesting than this, but hard to find in most US locations. China is even larger and more varied, but most US Chinese restaurants, especially east of the Rockies, stick to the same Mandarin/Cantonese menu and it is pretty dull. But you live in CA. I don't know where Cypress is, but you must have access to one of the larger towns or cities in CA that have a significant Chinese community and restaurants serving regional (Hunan, Sechuan etc) and specialty (dim sum, noodles) foods.

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
      RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 4:14 PM (permalink)
      Mexican or Chinese?! Why not discuss the virtues or each rather than making a choice between the two.
      Kinda like. . . what do you like, apples or oranges.

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
        RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 4:22 PM (permalink)
        I'll take both. Extra spicy please!

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
          RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 6:53 PM (permalink)
          I'm having a very enjoyable dream. I have before me a table set very nicely with different plates of things to eat. A pork tenderloin sandwich, Kansas City BBQ, Mexican, preferably Oaxacan, Vietnamese, Chinese and Arabic. Maybe a few more, but this is a great dream so I don't want to over analyze it. I'm given a knife and fork and told to choose. So....I take that knife and cut 25% from each item and enjoy each and every one of them. Then I wake up and take my Lipitor.

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
            RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 7:42 PM (permalink)
            I think a fairer battle would be between Chinese and her southeast Asian cousins such as Thai and Vietnamese. The cuinse of Southeast Asia im my opinion is brighter and lighter. Fresh herbs and chiles are more prelevant and the sauces much lighter. Don't get me wrong I truly enjoy wok fried bok choy with oyster sauce and a well done chow fun, but given the choice between kung pow and nam sod, I will always take go for the Thai option.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
              RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 7:54 PM (permalink)
              Do you walk to work or carry your lunch?

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 7:58 PM (permalink)
                Chinese anyday!

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
                  RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 8:01 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by carlton pierre

Long day at work but, Huh!!!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 8:33 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by efuery

I'll take both. Extra spicy please!

Ditto here... And I'll take both the oranges and apples also! Tnx...

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Tue, 03/22/05 8:46 PM (permalink)
                      I have a strange feeling that another "interesting" member we haven't heard from in a while, "SNOWY" and smellybeans are one and the same.....

WaffleHouserules

• Total Posts: 353
                        RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Wed, 03/23/05 2:38 PM (permalink)
                        Im a chineese type of guy. Love my chinese food.

WaffleHouserules

RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Wed, 03/23/05 2:39 PM (permalink)
                          Im a chineese type of guy. Love my chinese food.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                            RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Wed, 03/23/05 2:53 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by wanderingjew

I have a strange feeling that another "interesting" member we haven't heard from in a while, "SNOWY" and smellybeans are one and the same.....

Hmmmmm. I see your issue. Perhaps we should ask "smellybeans" why his beans smell

ChiliDog

• Total Posts: 126
                              RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Wed, 03/23/05 3:13 PM (permalink)
                              Why decide at all? One of my favorites is to take what ever left over Chinese take out happen to be in the fridge wrap it in a tortilla with some beans and enjoy!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3556
                                RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Wed, 03/23/05 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by BT

Bad Chinese is dull. Good Chinese is anything but dull. But I think the same applies to Mexican. The typical "Mexican" food served in the US is tortilla + meat + tomato/chile sauce + cheese = nearly every dish on the menu. Mexico is a large country with regional food traditons producing a cuisine which is much more varied and interesting than this, but hard to find in most US locations. China is even larger and more varied, but most US Chinese restaurants, especially east of the Rockies, stick to the same Mandarin/Cantonese menu and it is pretty dull. But you live in CA. I don't know where Cypress is, but you must have access to one of the larger towns or cities in CA that have a significant Chinese community and restaurants serving regional (Hunan, Sechuan etc) and specialty (dim sum, noodles) foods.

BT is right. I do know where Cypress is (Orange/LA County border, by the way) and you have many great Chinese restaurants near you. Just northeast in Artesia, there is the Great Seafood Palace on Pioneer Blvd.----absolutely awesome Hong Kong style dimsum. Just east of you in Garden Grove is the Seafood Cove on Westmister Blvd.-----just look in the tank and pick your seafood while it's still swimming. Check out Seafood Paradise too----it's a huge place with a menu to match. Go there on a evening and you may find yourself eating while watching a chinese wedding! Right at the border of Cypress and Garden Grove, on Valley View is one of my favorite places----Chinese Gourmet Buffet. Just south in Westmister is Seafood World, also an excellent place. Good selections including lots of seafood and very reasonable. Garden Grove in general has an amazing amout of quality Chinese restaurants. Give 'em a try!

hjbyun

• Total Posts: 100
                                  RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Wed, 03/23/05 7:18 PM (permalink)
                                  Let me put my 2cents in.

Prepare by the right person they are equally good in that they both have their positives. I love both mexican and chinese when they hold true to their roots and do not pander to the expected tastes of the perceived "masses or the lowest common denominator".

However, with that said there seems to be a lot more authentic chinese places around then mexican places. i cannot find a decent mexican place around dc, although i haven't gotten over to kennelworth ave.

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                                    RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Wed, 03/23/05 8:21 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Do you sleep alone or with the window open?

Good Mexican and Good Chinese are both Good. Just depends on what mood you're in. If you're in the mood for either, the other won't do. Definite apples and oranges thing.

P.S.: Which would you rather do, or go fishing?

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                      RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Thu, 03/24/05 3:33 AM (permalink)
                                      Can"t really choose. Love them both.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3556
                                        RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Thu, 03/24/05 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                        I realized I never really answered the main question. But I agree with just about everyone. I eat both Chinese and mexican at least once or twice a week. Just depends on the mood----they're both good!

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
                                          RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Thu, 03/24/05 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by hjbyun

However, with that said there seems to be a lot more authentic chinese places around then mexican places. i cannot find a decent mexican place around dc, although i haven't gotten over to kennelworth ave.

Having not dined extensively in either country, I'm not sure that I can express an informed opinion on the authenticity of any Mexican or Chinese restaurant. However, the food at these DC area Mexican restaurants tastes pretty good to me (and I see a good number of people who appear to be Mexican at these locations, so I'm not alone in my opinions). Mixtec, at 1792 Columbia Rd. in the Adams-Morgan section of NW DC, has very good tortas, or Mexican subs. Also, try the enchiladas and soft tacos at El Tapatio, 4309 Kenilworth Avenue, Bladensburg, MD and at the Rio Grande Cafe (4 area locations).

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
                                            RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Thu, 03/24/05 3:46 PM (permalink)
                                            zataar, I'm trying to understand why when you woke from your dream you say you took your Lipitor. Usually when we describe a dream we mention something happening after we wake that we're defining as the big letdown. Is this what you meant? I don't mean to criticize--just understand. I have taken Lipitor for a couple of years now with excellent result. Ask your doctor how much your cholesterol has improved. I hope you will be pleased too.

Really, I like both Mexican and Chinese. We've had snarkier stuff than this, folks. Still, smellybeans, how about interpreting your screen name for us?

Ralph Isbill

• Total Posts: 185
                                              RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Thu, 03/24/05 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                              Chinese food is not on my list of "most liked food". Now Mexican, that is a different story. Bad Mexican food is bad and you can find a lot of it. Great Mexican food, although hard to find sometimes, now that is my favorite.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                                                RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Thu, 03/24/05 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                                Some things in life just can't be rated or chosen. Rated for quality, yes... but bot against each other. As was said before, good Chinese and good Mexican are each wonderful, and I like both.

And smellybeans, if your Chinese diet has been too dull, you either haven't tried Szchezuan style or you missed the extra hot oils and chili sauces which can be added. How about some hot mustard with your noodles?

hjbyun

• Total Posts: 100
                                                  RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Sat, 03/26/05 5:16 AM (permalink)
                                                  Went to Kennilworth area, just outside DC for mexican, yesterday. I went to a place called Reyes II. Had two tacos, beef tongue and goat and a Seafood Stew. The tacos were ok. It came with radish and grilled onion. However the meats were not very spiced, which is my preference. The Seafood soup I had came with shrimp, crab etc. and came with these great soft tortillas and a condiment tray of peppers, red hot sauce and salsa verde. The seafood stew was outstanding. I would highly recommend the stew. Skip the tacos at this place.

A place across the street called the Alamo I've also heard was good. Will try that next.

WaffleHouserules

RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Sat, 03/26/05 2:16 PM (permalink)
                                                    Orential forest buffet in waterford,mi is the largest chinese buffet in this area, good food. Good rice, wonton soup, good american food, good egg rolls. I love egg rolls.

jdamia

• Total Posts: 4
                                                      RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Mon, 03/28/05 12:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      One of our favorites dining experiences is "Chino Bandito Takee-Outee" in Phoenix AZ.
                                                      A mom-n-pop hold-in-the-wall place serving Oriental/Mexican/Caribbean combination fare on aluminum plates with plastic utensils. Strange combinations - great, cheap Roadfood eats!

They offer a dozen main dish items such as Carnitas, Chile Relleno, Egg Foo Yung, Jade Red Chicken, Jerk Chicken, Teriyaki Chicken, etc. You can choose any main item and make it into a Rice Bowl, Quesadilla, Burro or a 2-item Combo plate with rice (steamed or 4 kinds of fried) and beans (creamy Jamaican black or traditional refried). They have the best creamy Black Beans ever, which are sweet and spicy at the same time.

For first-timers, just tell them you are a "Chino Virgin" and they will give you about a half-dozen bite-size tastes of some of the menu items to help you make your decision. For return guests, you simply walk up to the counter, grab an order form and pen, mark down what you want and they ring you up. Have a seat and they will bring you your food, yelling your name across the dining room.

My favorite combo is Jade Red Chicken, Jerk Chicken Quesadilla, Black beans and jalapeno-fried rice.

All meals come with a giant Snickerdoodle cookie for dessert! YUMMY!

Now my mouth is watering....I may have to make a Chino run today.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                                        • Location: Versailles, KY
                                                        RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Sun, 04/3/05 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                                        I like both Chinese and Mexican --- just depends upon what I'm in the mood for. The one qualification --- I like 'em both VERY spicy. No Moo Goo Gai Pan or plain bean burritos for me.
                                                        If I go for Chinese, give me SPICY kung pao chicken or szechuan beef or shrimp with hot pot stickers with lots of spicy sauce and hot and sour soup; and if it's Mexican I want chile rellenos made with poblano peppers and chihuahua cheese with a hot red sauce with lots of guacamole and sour cream and salsa filled with fresh cilantro on the side. I love both cuisines the same, but not their bland offerings!

Andrea

jerseygirl127

• Total Posts: 454
                                                          • Location: Granger, IN
                                                          RE: Mexican vs. Chinese Mon, 04/4/05 9:08 AM (permalink)
                                                          I prefer Mexican- it's got more variety and flavor.. and it sticks with you after you eat it.. unlike chinese when you eat it you're full but half hour later you're looking for something to munch on cause you're hungry again.........
                                                          plus -- you can't get a good margarita at a chinese restaurant! :)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com