The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What Kind of Cheese...

Kaczmark

• Total Posts: 73
What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 11:12 AM (permalink)
Most of the pizza guys I've talked to say WHOLE MILK mozzerella is the best chees to use, simply because it has more flavor than low moisture-part skim mozzerella. It aslo melts and browns better. But other owners use a "blend" of different cheeses, including chedder, and parm. Whats your take....what kind of cheese is the best for a pizza???

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
    RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 11:39 AM (permalink)
    Freshly grated real mozzarella, piled high.. spinkle well with parmasean and hot pepper flakes just before folding in half and taking a mouth burning bite..

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
      RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 11:40 AM (permalink)
      On a plain pie I use Parmagiano Reggiano. For a pie with mozzarella I prefer fresh, whole milk (buffalo, if possible) mozzarella. Sometimes I'll use scamorze.

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
        RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 12:40 PM (permalink)
        All of the above! It's your pizza! Use whatever you like!

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
          RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 12:54 PM (permalink)
          No Cheddar EVER on a traditional pizza. I guess it would be OK on one those new fangled cheesesteak pizza things. Anybody out there ever try one of those? was it any good?

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
            RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 8:15 PM (permalink)
            My brother makes a wonderful deep dish pizza with cheddar cheese. We still add the same old mozzarella and parmesan, but the cheddar really adds that certain je-ne-sais-quoi. I add cheddar to frozen pizzas. My partner, John, was concerned when I told him about the cheddar, until he tasted it. Now he asks for it.

Some people put ham and pineapple on a pizza. That does not appeal to me, but I'm not about to tell anyone what they cannot put on a pizza.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 9:59 PM (permalink)
              Around here, it's pretty much a 50/50 mix of Mozzarella and Provolone.. Some shops sprinkle on the Paramigiano before baking, but for the most part, it's an option at the table in a shaker...

Oh ya, as for the cheddar... I'll toss a sprinkle on when I'm baking at home... Otherwise, I wouldnt want it from a pizza shop (they'd ruin it).. But if they're making a Mexican Pizza... Oh ya!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 10:07 PM (permalink)
                Dearfolk,
                I've got a friend here who is known for her adventuresome palate. Some time ago, she discovered that she likes extra-sharp cheddar on pizza - as the only cheese! Her second preference is extremely-old, virtually falling-apart Stilton.
                I wonder if she's tried a livermush pizza... a place in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina actually offers such a menu item. (I can't help but wonder how many of them they've sold....)
                'Mushlessly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
                P. S. Shall I investigate?!?!?!?

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 10:11 PM (permalink)
                  Ort... She needs to try a "White Pizza".. Olive oil and vinegar mixed, topped off with some fresh head cheese...

plb

RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 10:44 PM (permalink)
                    I think I remember reading that Pizza King / Sir Pizza brags about using only Provolone.

chef joe

• Total Posts: 57
                      RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 04/19/05 10:48 PM (permalink)
                      There's a Pizza joint on the boardwalk in Wildwood, N.J. called Mack's, been there forever. Back in the day it was 20 cents a slice and a birch beer was 10. The pie has never changed, it's still the best, whenever I get back up to the old stompin' grounds that's my first hit. Had the chance years ago to tend bar with a guy named Tommy who worked at Mack's for years, he told me besides the whole milk mozza, they split it with a Wisconsin "BUTTER CHEDDAR", have tried for years to get a hold of some, but can't get a handle on it. The pies are great, they sell so many of them that the sauce is pumped on them out of a garden hose that comes up from the floor below and is attached to these huge containers of the sauce. I know that Mack's buy their tomatoes for the sauce in the summertime up in Vineland, N.J. and have a local canner put them up for the following year. The pie drips oil as you eat it, Tommy said it was from the Wisconsin "BUTTER CHEDDAR", sure wish I could find some. In high scool in South Philly, one of my teachers was a Norbertine priest from Wisconsin, Father Frigo, his family is the worldwide "FRIGO" Cheese Corp., every Friday in school in his class was a cheese party, a lot of fun and good eats. Father Frigo was a real good guy. Anyway, I'm always experimenting with pizzas, have a lot of great ones - "gorgonzola, pine nuts, fresh basil, oil-cured sundried tomatoes and nicoise olives" and another is - "shrimp, charred red peppers, marinated garlic and buffalo mozza" to name a couple, but there nothing like a Mack's. I need a fix. CHEF JOE!

Extreme Glow

RE: What Kind of Cheese... Wed, 04/20/05 5:22 PM (permalink)
                        Wow, 11 posts and no one has slammed St. Louis provel yet.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                          RE: What Kind of Cheese... Wed, 04/20/05 5:39 PM (permalink)
                          It’s immoral to put cheddar on pizza, your all going to hell.

Actually, when I make it at home I sometimes put slices of provolone on the crust, the rest of my toppings, and then a mixture of mozzarella, cheddar and parmesan on top.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                            RE: What Kind of Cheese... Sat, 04/23/05 3:04 AM (permalink)
                            Mozzarela with a little chedder is a good combo for me. But I am open to other things.

radder

• Total Posts: 4
                              RE: What Kind of Cheese... Mon, 05/9/05 11:46 PM (permalink)
                              try this sometime with all fresh-grated cheeses: 1 part romano, 1 part asiago, 2 parts provolone, 2 parts mozzarella

so good

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                                RE: What Kind of Cheese... Tue, 05/10/05 12:34 AM (permalink)
                                Velveta rocks, but occasionally Kraft Singles are good for a change of pace.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com