Dining in the Green Zone

Author
NRavenwolf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/04/23 07:56:09 (permalink)

Dining in the Green Zone

Hello All:
Welcome to Dining in the Green Zone. Today we'll review some of the food places in town and rate them.
DFAC

Main DFAC: Food is usually tough or cold and the chicken is never cooked right. Watch out for the bacon, they don't cook that very well either. Of the DFACs here, I give it a 3 out of 10. Stop by for the desserts, they're not bad.

Hotel DFAC: This is one of the best in town next to the Steel Dragon. Suggest you hit breakfast (it's one of the few places you can actually get a sugar donut) and lunch is pretty good. Dinner isn't too great so hit Steel for din-din. I give it a 6 out of 10.

Steel Dragon: This is the place to eat. It's one of the best DFACS here since the food is made fresh. You can get eggs to order which is the only DFAC in town that offers this.
This is a 10 out of 10 on the DFAC scale.

KBR: Eh. It beats the Main Palace (what doesn't) and gets a 5 out of 10.

The others not mentioned are good as well.The Gurka camp is KING.
The food court:

Pizza Inn: Edible pizza in a war zone. Try double sauce and double cheese. 7 out of 10 depending how long you've been out in the field.

Burger King: Just like the states at double the price! No rating as I tend to think all Booger Kings suck.

Gyro King: It's not bad and a nice change. The prices are fair and all's well provided you don't get Gyro chicken juice on your DCUs...it doesn't come out. I give this place a 5.

Subway: My friends and I have not been able to figure out where they get their sandwich meats from and have not been bold enough to try it, yet.

Blue Star: LOTS of food, the best humus on Earth and they never run out of Diet Coke!! (Something you can only appreciate if you've been here long enough.)The Blue Star offers some cheesy entertainment for rent and Nargelas (however you spell it)if you want to puff away on strawberry tobacco. 8 out 10 for good price, large food amounts, atmosphere, safety and entertainment.

Alone Star: It boasts of McDonnels (sic) Burgers but from what I've seen, this is not McDonalds. One of the guys in our office swears by this place but the hot little chicken bodies baking in the sun doesn't do much for this traveler. Not rated

Chinese Rest:
I wouldn't eat there based on tips I'd gotten from Medical. However, some people have to have Chinese and it smells OK. The rest was blown up so now you have to take your food (and parasitic worms) to go.

Dining at Al Rasheed:
The Coffee Shop is not too bad. I've only had french fries and hummus there. It's not bad and a nice place to conduct meetings. I've not eaten at any place in the hotel other than this one. 5 out of 10

The Sports Bar at Al Rasheed:
Finally, a place to shoot pool, drink beer and watch sports. It's a nice place but the high prices keep me out. It's a 7 out of 10 just because it is one of the few places in Iraq that makes you feel like you're back to normal life.

Parson's Bar: Nice little trailer that is like a real bar. It's a total dive but here, we'll take what we can get. It's friendly, too smokya and beer is cheap. 7 out of 10

Bunker Bar: Everybody knows the BB and you'll need to know somebody to get inside. It is equipped with weapons, tactical netting, a pool table or two and unisex bathrooms. They close early and always run out of booze so get there early then head over to the BCC.

The Baghdad Country Club: Let's just say this is 15 out of 10 stars. The bar boasts of stadium couch seating, a 50 inch plasma TV, pool, air hockey, foozeball, mixed drinks, HUGE dance floor, LIVE DJ, jello shots and even food. Like the "other" bar I can't mention in this review, you better know somebody there or you won't get in. Membership to the BCC is strictly limited and only the best of the best get invited.

Michael:
Eh, it's OK but I draw the line at Crunchy Burgers. I give it a 4 of of 10.

TC Compound: If you want great steak, plenty of beer, a bar and great folks, then come to this invite only party that happens once a month. It's a GREAT place to blow off steam and kick back with the best of the best! 8 out of 10

Two best DFACs in Iraq: Try Taji and Tirkit!

Best PX--Victory and Taji

ENJOY!

9 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1