What are you reading right now?

Author
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
2005/04/30 02:55:08 (permalink)

What are you reading right now?

To take a little of the heat off of Tiki after the minor flare-up on the AI thread, I thought it might be fun to have an actual reading-related topic.

So: what are you reading right now?

As for myself, I've got four books on the go at the moment, which is about usual for me. I'm less than a hundred pages from the end of The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith, which is one of those novels that resists synopsis. Basically, it's about a young man and the various obsessions that have taken over his life, my favorite of which is a book he's writing that divides everything in the world into one of two categories: Jewish or Goyish. It's got the same sort of antic quality as her first novel, White Teeth. I'm also well into Anita and Me by Meera Syal, a very funny coming of age novel about an Indian girl in England in the '60s and '70s and the neighborhood tough girl that she idolizes. (Meera Syal is also an actress -- if you have BBC America, you might have seen her as either the grandmother on The Kumars At No. 42 or the female lead on the sketch show Goodness Gracious Me.) Then there's Back to the Miracle Factory, a book of essays by Paul Williams, the founder and editor of the pioneering music magazine Crawdaddy, and I just started Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris, which my wife has just handed off to me saying it's probably his best book yet.

Plus the new Gourmet just came today and I've got most of this week's New Yorker and a little bit at the end of last week's to get through, and the new issue of Mojo is tempting me from the bedside table as well.

250 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1