The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews Mon, 05/9/05 4:46 PM (permalink)
I don't get how some of these restaurants on this site get "thumbs up reviews".

Nick's pizza is described as "boring, average, and uninspiring", but it gets a thumbs-up. For the Bonelle Pastry Shop, everything appears awful, yet, "thumbs-up".

Why would I even want to entertain wasting my time going to these places? What does it take to get a negative review? it kind of hurts the credibility of the of the other places and puts a bit more doubt in mind when I am planning a trip.

Extreme Glow

RE: Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews Mon, 05/9/05 5:21 PM (permalink)
    Shouldn't this post be in the Roadfood Insider forum? Nothing like this in the non-Insider areas.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews Mon, 05/9/05 6:01 PM (permalink)
      saps, speaking for ourselves only, not the Sterns, we gave Bonelle a "thumbs up" because there was one outstanding pastry (there may be others we haven't tried, too) that we felt was worth the visit. The thumbs up/thumbs down system may mean different things to different people but it actually reflects the answer to this question: Would you return to this restaurant? If the review writer answers yes, thumbs up.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews Mon, 05/9/05 7:09 PM (permalink)
        There's also several people that can do a review... One person may like it, another one may not... Most of the reviewed restraunts can be found discussed somewhere in the forums (just use the search feature), so there you may get some better input!

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
          RE: Could Someone Explain the Ratings and Reviews Tue, 05/10/05 1:11 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

saps, speaking for ourselves only, not the Sterns, we gave Bonelle a "thumbs up" because there was one outstanding pastry (there may be others we haven't tried, too) that we felt was worth the visit. The thumbs up/thumbs down system may mean different things to different people but it actually reflects the answer to this question: Would you return to this restaurant? If the review writer answers yes, thumbs up.

I see where you're coming from. And in the case of there being one or two really standout items that make a visit worthwhile, it makes sense. I know a lot of local places, such as burger joints, where I'd go to have a great burger but everything else on the menu is lousy.

However, there are a lot of places reviewed on the site that appear to be average to below-average that get a thumbs-up. It may be my mind-set. If I'm using this site as one of my sources for travel planning, I want places that are worthy of being a destination for a standout reason, not just an average place. I feel like I've wasted my time when I stop at an average joint.

And yes, I should have posted this on the Roadfood insider area.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com