The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques Sun, 05/15/05 1:08 PM (permalink)

This is in today's Washinton Post. Has anyone been to both these places?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/13/AR2005051300643.html

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques Sun, 05/15/05 1:26 PM (permalink)
    Now you've ruined my day. I can't look at that sandwich (or the hushpuppies) without drooling all over my keyboard.

brentk

• Total Posts: 251
      RE: Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques Sun, 05/15/05 1:37 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by chezkatie

This is in today's Washinton Post. Has anyone been to both these places?

I've been to both and agree that they are each the pinnacle of their respective styles.

Generally, a very good article. I would add two comments. At Lexington, if you want some of the burnt ends chopped in your meat (and that is a popular request for those in the know) you have to ask for it "outside brown." At Skylight, they chop the cracklin' in regardless of whether you ask for it or not. Some folks don't like that but I sure do.

Since neither of these places is around the corner, I always take some extra home. While BBQ generally freezes well, Skylight's is the exception to the rule. Upon re-heating, the cracklin loses its crackle and turns into fat globules. Yuck!

So while I generally prefer Skylight (by a snout), you have to enjoy it on premises.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
        RE: Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques Sun, 05/15/05 3:54 PM (permalink)
        I've been to both of these and several other Q restaurants in NC. I prefer Lexington # 1 for western NC Q and rate Wilber's in Goldsboro several notches above Skylight for eastern NC Q. I find that the very small amount of ketchup and other sauces added to the vinegar in western Q sauce gives a better taste by eliminating the bitterness of the pure vinegar and pepper eastern sauce. I also prefer the always lean meat from the shoulders cooked in the west to the whole hog, with much fat, cooked in the east. And I, as opposed to the writer of the article, am a big fan of the hushpuppies served by Lexington and other western Q joints. The writer is exactly right about the slaw. Adding the Q sauce to the slaw the way they do in the west makes MUCH better slaw than the mayonaise drenched slaw in the east.
        You can get the smokey taste in western Q when you ask for "lean brown" or "outside brown". And the take home bulk shoulder meat from the west remains very good for weeks while the eastern whole hog is nothing but a pile of grease if you try to re-heat.

BT

RE: Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques Sun, 05/15/05 6:40 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Hillbilly

Adding the Q sauce to the slaw the way they do in the west makes MUCH better slaw than the mayonaise drenched slaw in the east.

Huh? I only eat the slaw one way--as shown in the picture, on the bun with the Q. That way you get the sauce mixed up with the slaw anyway--which is , of course, heavenly--so how would it matter?

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
            RE: Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques Sun, 05/15/05 8:38 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by BT

quote:

Adding the Q sauce to the slaw the way they do in the west makes MUCH better slaw than the mayonaise drenched slaw in the east.

Huh? I only eat the slaw one way--as shown in the picture, on the bun with the Q. That way you get the sauce mixed up with the slaw anyway--which is , of course, heavenly--so how would it matter?

Then you have the mayonaise flavor diluting the Q flavor. I like the Q with slaw on the side and with a big basket of huspuppies washed down with a few glasses of sweet tea or Cheerwine.

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
              RE: Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques Sun, 05/15/05 9:35 PM (permalink)
              I've been to both places, and like the folks posting above, a few others, both east and west. The Post article has it about right in its comparisons -- you just got to pick your pig (and slaw). When I first arrived in North Carolina, I was partial to west, for the reasons in the posts above. But since then, I'm shifting to east. East Q is quite good when it's cooked and prepared properly -- and it can be a real disappointment when it's not. My home base is Allen & Son. And I find I like the mayo slaw just a bit more than the red slaw, and I've come to appreciate the vinegar/pepper east sauce. Just my tast, I suppose.

don-o

• Total Posts: 60
                RE: Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques Sun, 05/15/05 10:02 PM (permalink)
                I reckon it's what one grows up with; and I have tried to develop a taste for that acid bath that passes for bbq sauce out East - just cannot.

However the red slaw IS a treat.

On another thred, I mentioned a sign in Kingsport, Wilcox Drive for a new q place - Pig Out BBQ. Drove by Saturday - no progress

BT

RE: Comparison of two North Carolina barbeques Sun, 05/15/05 11:34 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

you have the mayonaise flavor diluting the Q flavor. I like the Q with slaw on the side and with a big basket of huspuppies washed down with a few glasses of sweet tea or Cheerwine.

One person's "diluting" is another person's extraordinary synergy I suppose. Anway, I think BBQ + slaw is more than twice as good as either one alone.

By the way, in the east Carolina vs west Carolina, I'm with the east. I lived in Durham for 4 years but it was a long time ago so I'm no longer really sure where that falls on the spectrum, though. But that was about as far west as I sampled the Q and most of my serious eating was done toward the coast which I still prefer.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com