The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Eastern European

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
Eastern European Mon, 05/16/05 3:21 PM (permalink)
Found great restaurant here in Columbia SC. Euro Cafe in the northeast suburbs, just off I-77 and I-20. Family is from the Old Country, it appears...several cars parked with stickers or logos of Ukraine.

They have authentic salads, soups, and entrees, but the real treat appears to be one of their "Royal" platters - you can pick from Russian, German, Polish, Ukrainian, or Bulgarian. I went for the Polish which had the best and lightest pirogi that I have ever had, a chicken cutlet stuffed with cheese and vegetables, and bigos, a national dish that is based on cabbage and pork. It came with two crepes with fruit sauce for dessert. All was wonderful!

A friend went for a bowl of borscht (he said best he ever had) and Russian platter that had stuffed cabbage, Russian dumplings similar to pirogi, shashlik (sp?) skewered meat, and veggies. He raved about it.

Atmosphere is nice, they even played some Ukranian music live. If you're in the area, check it out!

sizz_leteen

• Total Posts: 118
    RE: Eastern European Thu, 05/19/05 9:32 PM (permalink)
    Nummy-nums! Being Ukrainian myself, I was brought up on borscht, pyrohy/varenyky, skewered meat (patichky), and cabbage rolls. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any Uky restaurants here in Toronto, though my mother and I tried a sublime little Hungarian restaurant awhile back. Ah well, nothing beats Baba's cooking, anyway!

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
      RE: Eastern European Thu, 05/19/05 10:43 PM (permalink)
      Without wishing to open up any ethnic fault lines, I find it hard to believe there aren't at least Russian places in Toronto. Many larger American cities including my own San Francisco have sizeable Russian communities today with not only restaurants but delis, bakeries and take-out places selling Russian and eastern European specialties (they often call themselves "European" food purveyors).

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
        RE: Eastern European Fri, 05/20/05 8:52 PM (permalink)
        Great little eastern European deli/market in East Ridge, TN just off I-75, just north of the GA state line.

Mr. K

• Total Posts: 4
          RE: Eastern European Sun, 06/12/05 11:15 AM (permalink)
          If anyone is in the mood for excellent Eastern European foods, and is in the New England area, Worcester, Massachusetts has many stores that sell delicious Eastern European foods. Being Lithuanian myself, I tend to visit Tom's Delicatessen in Worcester (at exit 13 off of I-290) for superb Lithuanian and Polish foods. Golumbki, pierogi, kishka, chrushik, and packi can be found there. Also, right next door to Tom's, one can find a truly wonderful Jewish delicatessen, Weintraub's, that serves authentic Jewish cuisine.

linus

• Total Posts: 252
            RE: Eastern European Tue, 06/28/05 7:41 AM (permalink)
            From what I've seen, you can walk into just about any pub/bar
            in Cleveland and get a nice dish of perogies, or some stuffed cabbage, kraut and kielbasa, etc.
            Not so much the restaurants, more like bar food, surprisingly.
            Bigos is an old polish dish that was made with many different types of game and simmered all day. It's called Hunters stew. I have a recipe for it in my polish cookbook that has been modifed to use non-game meats, pork, beef, chicken and sausage.

CETURTL

• Total Posts: 77
              RE: Eastern European Tue, 08/16/05 11:08 PM (permalink)
              Does anyone know of a place in the Savannah Ga area for european style food. I'm from Chicago and miss it dearly (especially polish). I'm aware of the Haufrahaus on Hilton Head (although i'm not impressed).

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                RE: Eastern European Thu, 08/18/05 11:34 PM (permalink)
                Varenyky! My grandmother used to make the best potato verenikas.

In Los Angeles (well Santa Monica) Warsawza is where you'd go for great Polish food. Then if you wanted to make your own, not so far away is a great Polish deli.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com