The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Sending food back

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
Sending food back Thu, 05/19/05 8:56 AM (permalink)
As a frequent restaurant patron, there is an issue that I have struggled with for some time: Under what circumstances should it be considered appropriate for a diner to send a dish back to the kitchen and not have to pay for it? There are some situations that are cut-and-dried. For example, if I order a steak medium rare and it comes out well done, I believe I should be given the option of either leaving and paying nothing, or waiting for another, satisfactory steak and receiving some compensation for my lost time, such as a reduction in price, a free drink or dessert, or the like. Similarly, if any dish comes out of the kitchen either grossly undercooked or overcooked, the restaurant should be obligated to do something to make the situation right, either by providing a properly cooked dish, lowering the price or providing a freebie, or some combination of these options. But what if the dish is not improperly prepared, but the diner just doesn't like it for some reason? My wife seems to think that in such circumstances, she should be able to send the meal back, but it seems to me that whenever you go out, you run the risk that you will not like the dish that you order. That's why people often order the same thing whenever they eat at a given restaurant, because they have found something that they like and don't want to run the risk of being disappointed. It seems to me that a restaurant should not have to incur the penalty of not receiving payment for a meal unless they are at fault in some way. And what if the dish is not seasoned to the patron's liking? Is that a sufficient reason for sending it back?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com