Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorite Summer Dish

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 75 of 75
dckdckgse

• Total Posts: 5
RE: Favorite Summer Dish Fri, 05/14/04 4:17 PM (permalink)
i made rhubarb and sweet onion pickles this past weekend to go with all of my summer favorites. made a fresh tomato salad with the pickle--fabulous! can't wait to try with it a grilled pork chop or on a brat.

the recipe, btw, is from the "quick pickles" book by chris schlesinger. anyone who gardens or attends a lot of farmers' markets should own it, seriously.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
    RE: Favorite Summer Dish Fri, 05/14/04 4:36 PM (permalink)
    Sweet corn--tomatoes--peaches---tomatoes--strawberries---tomatoes--"wild" catfish---tomatoes--grilled brookies---tomatoes--homemade icecream--tomatoes--steamed clams--tomatoes--junk food from the fair----and oh yeah---TOMATOES!

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
      RE: Favorite Summer Dish Fri, 05/14/04 4:56 PM (permalink)
      My mother used to make this in the summer. I still do.

Cubed ham
      red bell pepper pieces
      sliced green onion
      canned mandarin orange segments, drained
      Catalina dressing or something similar and
      cooked rice.

Mother used Minute Rice. May I suggest you melt some butter in a heavy pan with a tight-fitting lid, then add jasmine rice. Sauté the rice while chicken stock (exactly twice the volume of the rice--that's all there is to it) heats in the microwave. Add the stock SLOWLY to prevent boiling over, put on the lid and simmer for 25 minutes. DO NOT open the rice yet. Prepare the other ingredients and place them in separate plastic bags. Put them and the dressing in the bottle in the cooler. Wrap the rice pan in towels and put in the picnic hamper with a big bowl for tossing as well as cheese (don't serve the cheese cold) and crackers. Mom would put this combination of pudding and jello in the cooler for dessert. At your picnic site, at last you can open the rice. Put some in a bowl and add the other ingredients except the orange segments. Toss with dressing, add the orange segments and toss lightly. Serve. COLD rice will not work because rice always gets an unpleasant hard center in the fridge. Leftovers go home with you and get tossed together freshly later.

LegalLady

• Total Posts: 404
        RE: Favorite Summer Dish Fri, 05/14/04 5:13 PM (permalink)
        "Sugar & Cream" sweet corn, with REAL butter
        BLT'S with fresh garden tomatoes
        Wilted Lettuce
        Potato Salad, made with garden green onions, bell peppers, and all the usual stuff
        Anything on the gril (so I don't have to cook it)

Scarlett

• Total Posts: 402
          RE: Favorite Summer Dish Fri, 05/14/04 5:28 PM (permalink)
          Going way back on page one of this thread:

I would love to know how Sundancer7 makes the cucumber-pasta salad. It sounds really good and would like to try it. I had a bad experience once trying to use cucumbers in a mayo based salad - there was an abundance of liquid from the cucumbers to deal with. What did I do wrong?
          What I like in the summer --
          When I've got enough folks around to eat I look forward to BBQ-ing a Boston butt roast (my self-proclaimed specialty), grilled veggies, chunks of icy cold melons and of course the favorite cold libation.

stormycat

• Total Posts: 102
            RE: Favorite Summer Dish Fri, 05/14/04 5:49 PM (permalink)
            I think this may qualify as some sort of "white trash family favorite" but I love it!

Roll out the contents a couple of those crescent roll tubes into a cookie or pizza pan and bake until golden brown. Let cool and the slather on a 1:2 mixture of mayo and cream cheese, respectivly. Cut up some sweet onions, fresh toms from the garden and some cucumbers, salt, and sprinkle over dough and cream cheese mix. Finish with a good sprinkling of good dill.

ah crap, now I am really hungry : (

clemspal

• Total Posts: 70
              RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 05/25/04 10:55 PM (permalink)
              standing in the garden as the last light falls , eating tomatoes out of hand , and maybe an ear of corn . the first peas of the season . blackberries , on the side of some backroad in northern california . ice cream on a friday night in eastham , after fried oysters @ arnold's ( while listening to the red sox game ). wild salmon , corn on the cob , avacado salad on a bluff overlooking the pacific , on the solstice , with your sweetheart by your side . ice cold watermelon on the porch after a long walk with clementine . indian red peaches . a top dog , while you listen to the giants-dodgers from your double parked car on durnat street in berkeley . 4th of july sunset picnic overlooking san francisco bay ( bbq pork shoulder , cole slaw , beans , & peach cobbler ). those come to mind ...

clemspal

RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 05/25/04 10:57 PM (permalink)
                sorry . i seem to have gotten a bit off the original thread , but seem to have stumbled on a new one . summer meals where time stopped

zussers

• Total Posts: 232
                  RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 05/25/04 11:04 PM (permalink)
                  Gee, Clemspal, you almost brought a tear to my eye! I was just going to say popsicles!

clemspal

RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 05/25/04 11:04 PM (permalink)
                    let me try that again ...

a nice assortment of tomatoes
                    about the same volume of cucumber , as you have tomato
                    some fresh dill & parsley
                    bulgarian feta ( "let me see the can"
                    )
                    fresh lemon juice ( watch out for those seed )
                    some extra-virgin oil ( a nice fruity one )
                    coarse ground black pepper
                    maybe just a teeny bit of kosher salt

shopska salata , a staple of the bulgarian table

ok , go ahead , throw some kalamatas , and pepperoncini on it . it won't hurt .

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                      RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 05/25/04 11:16 PM (permalink)
                      Pulled pork BBQ with cole slaw
                      "Country style" ribs
                      Potato salad
                      Cucumbers & onions marinated in vinegar with a bit of sugar, salt, pepper
                      Gin & tonic
                      Tomato sandwiches with mayo on light bread
                      Charcoal-grilled steak, sliced thin & served cold as part of a sandwich
                      Abita Turbo Dog beer
                      Shandy
                      Mayhaw jelly on a well-buttered English muffin
                      Country ham biscuits at dawn in a jon-boat. Coffee now, beer later
                      Cold Co-Coler trapped on your motorcycle's gas tank, at 30 mph on a twisty road

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                        RE: Favorite Summer Dish Wed, 05/26/04 8:54 AM (permalink)
                        We do something similar to this and we even serve it at parties.
                        I bake the crescent rolls until brown. Let cool. Mix cream cheese, mayonaisse and a packet of Ranch Party Dip mix together and spread on crust. Then we chop up onion, tomato, cucumber, broccoli, carrots, celery, radishes , bell pepper and any other fresh vegetable we have and sprinkle on top of the cream cheese mixture. This is yummy.[8D
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by stormycat

I think this may qualify as some sort of "white trash family favorite" but I love it!

Roll out the contents a couple of those crescent roll tubes into a cookie or pizza pan and bake until golden brown. Let cool and the slather on a 1:2 mixture of mayo and cream cheese, respectivly. Cut up some sweet onions, fresh toms from the garden and some cucumbers, salt, and sprinkle over dough and cream cheese mix. Finish with a good sprinkling of good dill.

ah crap, now I am really hungry : (

Lexi

• Total Posts: 248
                          RE: Favorite Summer Dish Wed, 05/26/04 9:52 AM (permalink)
                          This one comes under the heading of stupid-easy:

Honeydew melon - either use a melon baller or chunk it
                          Lime zest - love my Microplane!
                          Fresh lime juice
                          Mint chiffonade
                          A capful (or more if you dare) of tequila

This one is great for bbq, brunch or picnic fare, but eat it right away or chill it, cause the tequila can make the melon mushy pretty quickly.

autumneyez04

• Total Posts: 51
                            RE: Favorite Summer Dish Mon, 05/31/04 1:41 PM (permalink)
                            I have very fond memories of my grandparent's garden when I was younger. My smaller brother and I would sneak out there each summer and steal us a few corn on the cobs and some strawberries.

We'd eat the white corn that was as sweet as heaven! Juice running down our chins and all.
                            After this we'd pack our pockets with strawberries and sneak inside to the sugar bowl.

There were always 2 problems though. My grandpa would find the corn silk all over *ahem* BUSTED!
                            My grandma would later find that her sugar had been turned pink, BUSTED again!

Heh, this never stopped us from enjoying the following year's goodness.

Oh and one other thing... Grandma's fresh stewed tomatoes with salt and pepper! Man I miss those days.

autumneyez04

• Total Posts: 51
                              RE: Favorite Summer Dish Mon, 05/31/04 1:48 PM (permalink)
                              Hmm summer meals. I have to say that down here in Louisiana, summer time ALWAYS calls for BBQ!!!

A dry rubbed brisket that had been smoked since before daylight along with potato salad, fruit salad, baked beans and homemade icecream!!!

Lip Smackin' Good!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 75 of 75

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com