The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Toronto Tips for Pizza

TorontoTips

• Total Posts: 33
Toronto Tips for Pizza Fri, 06/3/05 10:46 PM (permalink)
Hi Gang,
Longtime lurker, new member here.
1. Need any Toronto Tips for food, drop me a line.
2. Here's my Toronto Tip for Pizza:

THE very best authentic napolitano style pizza in Toronto can be found in Toronto's Little Italy at 302 College St. at Massimo Pizza & Pasta Bar.

Pasta Bar?! Massimo looks like a rather rough neighbourhood pizza joint and I’ve never seen anyone have anything but huge delicious slices of the best pizza you ever sank your teeth into, but if the pasta is half as good as the pizza, then sign me up!

This is the real deal, folks. Start with a thin perfect crust that’s good enough to eat without sauce, cheese or any toppings, then add a tomato sauce that’s perfectly homemade fresh and herbed with lots of pulpy tomato goodness, add gooey, delicious cheese that tastes real like pizza cheese used to, and top it off with thin slices of authentic pepperoni, and you can call me blissful!

If you’ve ever been to New York and delighted at the thin, crisp-chewy-soft, cheesy-saucy slices, or if you’ve had the pleasure of visiting the Italian Store just outside of Washington DC, you know the kind of pizza I’m talking about! No need for 9 toppings and some dipping sauce to make up for the bland, dry crust of the ubiquitous pizza chains, go to Massimo!

Trust me, just grab a huge slice of Massimo Pizza & Pasta Bar’s perfect Pepperoni (my fave) or Margherita pizza (divinely simple with just fresh basil, tomato sauce, garlic and cheese) …and you’re in pizza heaven! Plus it’s open til 3am weeknights and 4am on Friday and Saturday so it’s also a great place to mingle extra late with the more discerning after-club 20-somethings who know a great thing when they taste it. This place definitely ain’t pretty, but the pizza is absolute perfection.

Yes, I know I am gonna hear from Toronto's Amato Pizza crowd who love their 48 flavours of slices and the Vesuvio’s crew who insist that pizza should be thick and rectangular, but try Massimo and see if you don’t agree that this truly is pizza perfection!

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: Toronto Tips for Pizza Fri, 06/3/05 11:39 PM (permalink)
    Hey TT, welcome to Raodfood. I've heard so many wonderful things about Toronto but never been there. Hope you will share with us some more of your local favorites.

Kaczmark

• Total Posts: 73
      RE: Toronto Tips for Pizza Mon, 06/6/05 10:05 AM (permalink)
      Sounds like the "new" place I'll be visiting next time I'm there. But wait a minute,....lets have some kind words for The Big Slice on Young St. The biggest, the baddest, the cheesiest....etc etc

TorontoTips

RE: Toronto Tips for Pizza Mon, 06/6/05 5:26 PM (permalink)
        The Big Slice is good, but trust me, if you like the Big Slice, then you'll LOVE Massimo's. Make sure you get a fresh slice, or have them heat it up for you to get all the pizza-perfection... truly the best-ever slices in Toronto.

sizz_leteen

• Total Posts: 118
          RE: Toronto Tips for Pizza Thu, 06/16/05 9:30 PM (permalink)
          Massimo sounds lovely. I'll have to try it this summer.

TorontoTips

RE: Toronto Tips for Pizza Thu, 06/16/05 11:43 PM (permalink)
            Veal Sandwiches?? Now you've got me going again!
            Hands down, bar-none the VERY BEST veal sandwich in Toronto is to be found at California Sandwiches at 244 Claremont St. just a little west and north of Dundas & Bathurst!

They have been making nothing but sandwiches since 1967, and now that they have 8 locations around the city, they still make nothing but sandwiches.

You can get a monster sandwich stuffed with steak or sausage or chicken or meatball, but I have never even tried them, as I cannot imagine having anything but their superb, perfect, veal sandwich.

Each sandwich is freshly prepared when it is ordered, (never-mind the line-ups, it's always fast and always fresh), and a more perfect (or larger) italian veal cutlet has never been so lovingly coated in fresh breadcrumbs, individually deep fried to tender-crisp perfection, briefly dipped in freshly-simmered tomato sauce, and carefully nestled into a fresh, soft, crusty kaiser roll!

You can order your sandwich 'Hot Veal' (with fiery hot green peppers - wow!), 'Medium Veal' (my fave - a mix of sweet green peppers plus one hot pepper) or 'Sweet Veal' (no hot peppers) and add cheese, mushrooms, sauteed peppers, onions, etc. but most of the faithful get them clean and green without all the extras, and just savour the perfection.

There's this magic that happens when the crisply-coated deep-fried veal, softened a little by the amazing authentic tomato sauce, meets the fresh bun that gets just a hint of sauce to soften it, plus a little heat and flavour from the peppers ... well, it's just heavenly!

California Sandwiches has 8 locations now, all over the city, but I still drive the extra distance and go to the original. Go... trust me, you'll love it!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
              RE: Toronto Tips for Pizza Fri, 06/17/05 5:36 PM (permalink)
              Who's got room for pizza, when there are so many good hot dog carts on every corner?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com