The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre

garryd451

• Total Posts: 698
Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Thu, 06/9/05 10:06 PM (permalink)
Are the English buying up all the Americam Ice Cream Companies?

Unilever Corp has form a company in this country called Unilever Ice Cream, they bought and now own Klondike, Good Humor, Bryers. and Popsicle.

Also their parent company, which is Unilever
Corporation of England bought and owns Ben and Jerry's!!!

Click on below

http://www.icecreamusa.com/home/home.asp

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 3:49 AM (permalink)
    Unilever is a huge international conglomerate--not really English. It's technically Anglo-Dutch, but the CEO is French. See: http://www.unilever.com/ourcompany/aboutunilever/introducingunilever/default.asp . The Unilever N.V. half is Dutch and the Unilever PLC half is English. But it is true that the ice cream industry is consolidating. Dreyer's now belongs to Nestle (Swiss) and Haagen-Dazs to Pillsbury (still American).

Here's a bit of good news, though. Unilever also makes SlimFast, so if you over-indulge in ice cream, they have a solution for you.

Tony Bad

RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 8:45 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by garryd451

Are the English buying up all the Americam Ice Cream Companies?

Unilever Corp has form a company in this country called Unilever Ice Cream, they bought and now own Klondike, Good Humor, Bryers. and Popsicle.

Also their parent company, which is Unilever
      Corporation of England bought and owns Ben and Jerry's!!!

Click on below

http://www.icecreamusa.com/home/home.asp

Interestingly, everyone of those brands is a shadow of its former self. I wonder if that occurred before or after Unilever took over. I won't even buy Breyers on sale anymore and the Good Humor novelties they sell in the grocery stores are not worth the calories. I haven't had Ben & Jerry's since they were bought out...I hope they don't decline as well. In my area I buy Edy's or preferably, Turkey Hill if I am getting store bought ice cream.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
        RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 9:02 AM (permalink)
        quote:

Thank You for your Post! The link you had in your post explains alot more about Unilever than the link I had did.

I was really amazed when I looked at the link You provided! What amazed me was all the American Food Companies that Unileveer owns!

I'll just mention a few of the companyies they own, to give people how much of the food they eat, are provided by this company.

Bertolli, Country Crock, Hellman's, Wish-bone, Knorr's, etc., and etc.

I can't really find a more PC way of saying this, so I'll just say it....what's your point?

A Japanese company owns a major league baseball team. Is there anything more American than baseball?

There are "American" businesses that are owned, some wholly, some in part, by many multi-national corporations.

I just don't undrerstand where the shock is coming from?

Steve

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
          RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 11:18 AM (permalink)
          Actually--these are "Multi-National" countries---and a lot of Americans own a peice of of a lot of them. When it comes to corporations---nationality doesnt mean much any more--the "owners" could be South African, American, British,Brazilian---whoever has a chunk of stock---national origin or registration is now more or less just where the home office is located---heck I own some of these guys and I'm just a crazy old hippie with a few bucks in the market here and there!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
            RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 11:44 AM (permalink)
            quote:

Well, Steve, I guess that I that I am just not as smart as You!

My point in my first Post was a English Company was buying up all the Ice Cream Companies! Then after I was corrected about that post, that the company was only half english, then the point to the next post was I didn't know Unilever was buying so many American Companies.

But I am not totaly stupid, I did know that the Japan, Germany and etc were buying up alot of countries!

Dude...chill. I was not challenging your manhood or intelligence, for that matter. I guess I just wanted to know what was newsworthy about this? "Foreign" companies buy "American" companies, and vice versa, all the time. If there was something noteworthy about this particular item, I was missing the point.

On the other hand, I don't know how many countries Japan and Germany are buying up. If there were any for sale, I would think that we would be in the market for a few.

Steve

BT

RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 1:32 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Tony Bad

Interestingly, everyone of those brands is a shadow of its former self. I wonder if that occurred before or after Unilever took over. I won't even buy Breyers on sale anymore and the Good Humor novelties they sell in the grocery stores are not worth the calories. I haven't had Ben & Jerry's since they were bought out...I hope they don't decline as well. In my area I buy Edy's or preferably, Turkey Hill if I am getting store bought ice cream.

Edy's is another name for Dreyer's and it belongs to Nestle' which is a Swiss conglomerate that rivals Unilever. It's very difficult to escape the international food conglomerates these days.

Tony Bad

RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 1:41 PM (permalink)
                quote:

Edy's is another name for Dreyer's and it belongs to Nestle' which is a Swiss conglomerate that rivals Unilever. It's very difficult to escape the international food conglomerates these days.

I noted that in another post...you are right. It is hard to tell the players without a scorecard. I don't really worry about who owns what, as long as they don't mess with the product. So far, Edy's remains pretty good. It is hard to fathom why big companies buy up successful smaller outfits, and then tinker with the product and lessen quality. To me that would be like buying a classic ferrari and putting in a pinto engine. Why mess with a good thing??

BT

RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 1:42 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by tiki

Actually--these are "Multi-National" countries---and a lot of Americans own a peice of of a lot of them. When it comes to corporations---nationality doesnt mean much any more--the "owners" could be South African, American, British,Brazilian---whoever has a chunk of stock---national origin or registration is now more or less just where the home office is located---heck I own some of these guys and I'm just a crazy old hippie with a few bucks in the market here and there!

I know it's gonna make some of you faint, but I'm with tiki on this one. I don't own shares in any of these particular companies right now, but I do own a few in McCormick (yeah, the spice company). Take a look at their empire at http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?ID=10116 . Does it bother you that in Naples their pasta may well be seasoned with McCormick spices (by another brand name, of course)? Of course, I'm also playing the other side of the fence with Foster's: http://www.fosters.com.au/corporate/brands/global/global_brands.asp . So let's all have a glass of Behringer Chardonnay and chill out. As one of my favorite South Park characters likes to say, "Mmm-kay?"

PaulBPool

• Total Posts: 278
                    RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 1:46 PM (permalink)
                    My sister works for a division of Unilever and she is beside herself at what this company systematically does to products that it purchases. Their modus opperandi is to take an established brand, hald most, or not all, new product development, invest NOTHING in the product, reduce costs (mostly by cheapening the product), and milk it for every penny they can. Then, discontinue or shelve it, bringing only the most profitable ones back.
                    According to her, there have already been changes to the quality of the ingredients used in most of the Breyers and Good Humor products, AND some of the Ben and Jerry's as well.
                    Yet another reason to hate mega conglomerates and patronize mom and pop and local brands.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                      RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 2:11 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by PaulBPool

My sister works for a division of Unilever and she is beside herself at what this company systematically does to products that it purchases. Their modus opperandi is to take an established brand, hald most, or not all, new product development, invest NOTHING in the product, reduce costs (mostly by cheapening the product), and milk it for every penny they can. Then, discontinue or shelve it, bringing only the most profitable ones back.
                      According to her, there have already been changes to the quality of the ingredients used in most of the Breyers and Good Humor products, AND some of the Ben and Jerry's as well.
                      Yet another reason to hate mega conglomerates and patronize mom and pop and local brands.

These are some the very reasons that the local brand makes it big. The good brand degenerates to the weak player that is replaced by the emerging good brand. Ah, capitalism.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                        RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 2:13 PM (permalink)

I hope it never happens to our Blue Bell.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                          RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 2:14 PM (permalink)
                          Foreigners owning American brands and stock in our companies is not surprising. Our trade deficit is around $700 Billion. That money has to go somewhere. So it gets invested in profit making businesses in a stable economy, namely, the good ol' USA.

BT

RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 7:22 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by PaulBPool

there have already been changes to the quality of the ingredients used in most of the Breyers and Good Humor products, AND some of the Ben and Jerry's as well.

I know that I don't care for Breyer's now and it was among my favorites years ago when I was a kid. These days, I usually buy either the Safeway Select store brand or Dreyer's when they go on sale. They put Breyer's on sale too, but I won't bother with it.

I never did understand the hype about Ben & Jerry's. I like fairly straightforward ice cream--chocolate, vanilla, chocolate chip--so all the monkey this and rainforest that doesn't interest me. About as exotic as I get is Safeway coffee chocolate chunk.

Breyer's once had the best vanilla out there but no longer. When I've tried it lately it has seemed closer to ice MILK than good ice cream.

BT

RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 7:27 PM (permalink)
                              Here's actually one of my favorites:

quote:
                              Since 1913, the colossally creative artisans at Wells' Dairy, Inc.—the largest family-owned and managed dairy processor in the United States—have been hard at work putting all things chunky, chewy, rich and gooey into their ice cream.

The BLUE BUNNY® brand was born in 1935 after the Wells brothers held a "Name That Ice Cream" contest in the Sioux City Journal . A Sioux City man won the $25 cash prize after submitting the winning entry along with his rendition of the original BLUE BUNNY® character.

BLUE BUNNY® is made in Le Mars, Iowa: The Ice Cream Capital of the World. More ice cream is made in Le Mars than any other place on the planet!

Tony Bad

RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 8:25 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

BLUE BUNNY® is made in Le Mars, Iowa: The Ice Cream Capital of the World. More ice cream is made in Le Mars than any other place on the planet!

I found this at a grocery store while traveling in Florida and recalled prior mention of it here..so I tried it. It was very good. I wish it was available where I live in NY...but no luck so far. Do they have Turkey Hill where you are yet? They have a couple of real good vanilla flavors.

BT

RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 11:12 PM (permalink)
                                  Anybody else more bothered by the fact that a "half gallon" of ice cream is now 1.75 qts. than that the company making it may be owned by the British (or Dutch or Swiss)?

Tony Bad

RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Fri, 06/10/05 11:32 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by BT

Anybody else more bothered by the fact that a "half gallon" of ice cream is now 1.75 qts. than that the company making it may be owned by the British (or Dutch or Swiss)?

Or that a "pound" of coffee is now 12 or even 10 ounces!!

Turkey Hill is still a 1/2 gallon...but they don't come anywhere near your part of the world!

Ralph Isbill

• Total Posts: 185
                                      RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Sat, 06/11/05 12:28 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Lone Star

I hope it never happens to our Blue Bell.

I'm with you Lone Star. If I can't get to Braums my next choice is Blue Bell. Both are great

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                        RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Sat, 06/11/05 1:43 AM (permalink)
                                        Braums!!!! I'm with ya Bill----Mint choco;ate chip in a waffle cone please!

lennonlover2005

• Total Posts: 62
                                          RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Mon, 03/27/06 10:55 PM (permalink)
                                          Where is Blue Bell from BTW? I am in Ann Arbor and we have a LOCAL ( a NON comglomerate!We dig locally owned here)ice cream company named Stucchi's and they make great ice cream. They have siimliar flavors in ice cream and frozen yogurt. If you ever come this way, please stop in!

[img]http://www.discoverroyaloak.com/stucchis.asp {/img]

CREAMSLINGER

• Total Posts: 3
                                            RE: Are the english buying up all the American Ice Cre Mon, 04/10/06 7:53 PM (permalink)
                                            Lennon. Blue Bell is from Brenham, Texas. NW of Houston in a small German community. Not too far from Texas A&M. Still family owned and will be 100 years old in 2007. Checkout the website at www.bluebell.com. . You will not find it in Michigan. The closest would be a little north of Kansas City.

Blue Bell is still in a 1/2 gallon container unlike others that have gone to a smaller carton and charges the same price.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com