Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Trip Report- Alaska June 2005

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43
lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Sat, 06/11/05 9:24 PM (permalink)
Rick, as Al and Janet were watching the Princess busses and the Princess cruise ships going in and out of Whittier I told them how you had been "Princessed Out" and they agreed that the way to go was on your own itinerary (with a little help from Lisa and Z), in your own car, at your leisure. Last summer we arranged for some friends from Iowa to rent an RV that would sleep the four of them comfortably and suggested a working itinerary. They changed only one thing........they found Homer so spectacular that they stayed 3 days instead of one!

Bobs

• Total Posts: 244
    RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Sat, 06/11/05 10:08 PM (permalink)
    I really ernjoyed hearing about your trip!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
      RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Sun, 06/12/05 3:28 PM (permalink)
      I agree with not going the "Princess" route. When I went, I had friends living in Fairbanks so we just flew to Anchorage, took the Alaska Railroad to Denali and then on to Fairbanks where our friends guided us to great local places. I have talked to many people who have done the tour thing and complained of not seeing anything because of the way the tour operators herd them around and "stage" experiences for them.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15075
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Sun, 06/12/05 5:37 PM (permalink)

I don't do tour-buses very well. That comes from too many trips with School Classes over the years !
        We did select one day-long tour for this vacation. It was hosted by the Alaskan Railroad and included the R/T on the Coastal Train from Anchorage to Seward and an afternoon boat tour and luncheon on Resurrection Bay. The train left Anchorage at about 7am and arrived in Seward at 11:30am. As you saw in my earlier posts, the scenery and wildlife was spectacular. They then shuttled us in a bus the short distance from the Seward Rail Depot to the harbor where we boarded the tourboat. At first the boat ride seemed a bit 'tame' but as we progressed down the bay we had the chance to see some pretty neat marine and bird life. The Prime-Rib and Salmon Buffet (AYCE) was 1st rate. They invited us to come back for seconds and more as the afternoon progressed. Totally out of character for me, I held off after one-round, being a very comfortably full and not wanting to initiate a hibernation cycle! I did see one young fellow select 2 slabs of Prime-Rib and have them placed between two slices of excellent Sourdough Bread...coated with the creamy Horseradish sauce. I pointed out to Janet that I had never seen a better looking sandwich anywhere!
        We returned to the harbor after the whale-watch and had a whole second round of evening scenery on the return train ride from Seward to Anchorage. As the first photo in the report shows we arrived back in Anchorage about 11pm but in full daylight! No Sunset photos available, I didn't have the endurance to wait up for them!
        The other days we used the rental car and the MILEPOST publication to wander out of the Anchorage area. I recommend purchasing one of these guides if you are planning to visit Alaska. We got a 2002 edition last year on Ebay for $5 and even being three years old, It was an outstanding asset.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
          RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Mon, 06/13/05 9:25 AM (permalink)
          Milpost is an essential guide for enjoying Alaska, I wish more states would have a guide such as this. I studied it for several months before our trip even though we had friends living in Alaska, the guide came up with a few things they didn't know about.

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
            RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Mon, 06/13/05 9:58 AM (permalink)
            Wonderful report, (almost) felt like I was there.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Mon, 06/13/05 10:00 AM (permalink)
              Thanks, Al for that fine report. I hope to travel to Alaska one day soon.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Mon, 06/13/05 10:20 AM (permalink)
                Your report and the pictures are great. I am so glad that you had such a wonderful trip and it looks like no one has to look any further than Lisa and Z if they want top Alaska travel agents.

Salustra

• Total Posts: 510
                  RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Mon, 06/13/05 11:56 AM (permalink)
                  Mr. & Mrs. Mayor - Thanks for sharing! Now I know why my Uncle hasn't been back down here since he moved to Anchorage...

Stepping away from the food angle for a moment - may I ask what type of camera captured such breath-taking scenery?

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Mon, 06/13/05 10:45 PM (permalink)
                    I am so Jealous. I always wanted to visit Alaska when I was living in Seattle. I was so close, yet so far away. So, Al, did you have a chance to try some Whale Blubber when you were out there???

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                      RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Mon, 06/13/05 11:06 PM (permalink)
                      I don't think Al and Janet ate any Whale Blubber or Eskimo Ice Cream (even MORE VILE!)
                      So now that the secret is out about Alaska..........well, what can I say? Just book those tickets and come up....we sure do love our beautiful state and showing it off to friends!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15075
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Mon, 06/13/05 11:11 PM (permalink)

Salustra, My folks lived on Valley Parkway in your town for 10 years back in the 80's. Seeing your address makes me recall visiting them often over the years.
                        I gave up my Canon G3 at Christmas time this past year to get one of the new Canon 20D SLR Digitals. It handles so much like my 35mm Canons (A-1 and Ae-1) that I had for many years, that It didn't take long for me to get it pretty much under control. In addition to the 'kit' lens that came with it (18-55mm) I purchased a 28-300mm zoom. The long lens was on the camera for the wildlife shots, the 18-55mm was the lens of choice for the food shots. I wish I had put out the extra bucks for the more expensive 'Image-Stabilized' lens, but I didn't and some of the longer distance shots weren't as sharp as I would like to have had them.
                        The 20D is an 8.7 megapixel camera that can make some really nice clear shots. I was using the medium size file (2meg average size) in jpg format. That gave me 435 photos on the 1 gig C F Card I was using. I shot 390 of that on the trip.
                        One thing to remember if you are considering lens's for the SLR's. Digital focal length is different from normal 35mm . The 18-55mm lens on my camera is roughly the equal to a 28-90mm on a 35mm camera. The 28-300 is equal to a 45mm to 400mm or so in 35 mm terms. Most folks wouldn't pay any attention to that, but if you want the coverage of the two lens to overlap a bit, you need to pay attention to the focal length.

W J- The last Whale (actually the only whale I have ever ordered) was at Yoken's restuarant on Rt 1 in Peabody, Mass (at the rt 114 interchange). That was in '68 if I remember correctly. Haven't even looked for it since...and that ought to tell you how good it wasn't!!

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                          RE: Trip Report- Alaska June 2005 Mon, 07/4/05 11:39 PM (permalink)
                          Mr. Mayor ,

Great report on Alaska . Outstanding pictures and details .

Anyone interested , we happen to be organizing an Alaska Cruise out of the Monroe NY Knights of Columbus for June 24th to July 1 st , 2006.

Details
                          Celebrity Summitt
                          8 days 7 nights Southbound to Vancouver
                          Seward , Juneau , Icy Straight Point , Ketchican
                          Inside Passage

R/T Airfare from Newark
                          Cruise
                          Transfers , Port Charges , all taxes
                          Group extras onboard
                          $1849 per person Cat. #11 inside

Feel free to email me at benzee95@hotmail.com
                          Arrangements are being handled by Cruise Holidays

Group of 100 to 200 will be sailing .

Benzee

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com