The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Sat, 06/11/05 11:19 PM (permalink)
A bit of a story first. Scroll down several graphs to get to the burger review.

Today (6/10/05) and tomorrow is the Big Apple BBQ Block Party, in tiny Madison Square Park (Madison, between 23rd and 26th streets). Lots of BBQ from local and national pitmasters, plus live blues. It runs from noon to 6 each day.

Because of kid commitments, I couldn't get there until 3:30 today, which I did along with a friend. It was packed. So much so, that two things happened. One, some of the stands closed because they ran out. And the others had lines that were literally several blocks long. There was no way we'd get to the front for two or more hours.

So, we figured, "Let's go to Blue Smoke," a BBQ place not far away. Great idea. Unfortunately, many others had the same great idea. One hour wait. Same thing happened with another new place, RUB.

We decide, let's go to a place called Smoked, in the East Village (not near where we were.) We emerge from the subway in pouring rain. We get there, and it turns out the place closes for like two hours post-lunch, pre-dinner.

Soaking wet and hungry, I remembered a burger place I wanted to try called Paul's (St. Marks and 2nd Avenue.) It's a little hole of a place (which I say in a good way), with lots of linoleum and kitschy decor -- but not so much of the latter to be an annoying joke. Our burgers were very fresh and tasty. Onion rings and fries were absolutely fine -- not great, not bad. The price for those items and three Diet Cokes was $22 with tip, which I found very reasonable for here.

Anyway, if you're in New York's Greenwich Village, I recommend it. And if you want to check out the BBQ festival, get there MUCH earlier than I did!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Sat, 06/11/05 11:25 PM (permalink)
    Atleast you found some good food after all that venturing around... Though in my neck of the woods, sounds a little pricey... But then, it's NYC!

Chumley

• Total Posts: 182
      RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Sun, 06/12/05 4:31 PM (permalink)
      Entirely unrelated but I'll ask anyway because I'm curious. Someone told me that Kiev re-opened on 2nd Ave. and 7th St. Did you happen to notice when you were over there?

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
        RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Sun, 06/12/05 5:32 PM (permalink)
        Yes, they did reopen, but much fancier, only a remnant of its gloriously worn-in ramshackle self. Sort of trendy looking with flavored martinis.

Spudnut

RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Sun, 06/12/05 7:57 PM (permalink)
          Yeah, Kiev is highly disappointing based on physical appearance. It used to be a great cheap place.

Forsyth

• Total Posts: 33
            RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Sun, 06/12/05 9:08 PM (permalink)
            Hi, new to Roadfood, thanks to my friend Matt.

The Big Apple BBQ was something I wanted to go to, but kid commitments prevented me from getting into town this weekend.

Based on what was said here and what I heard from people who I know who went (long lines, very stingy portions, high prices) I'm glad I stayed home.

Blue Smoke is great, normally. Consistent and good music downstairs.

Paul's makes a good burger in a neighborhood I love but that is nearly devoid of really good food (a shock, I know). Playing darts in the East Village is my standard mode of operation.

Usually we wind up at 'Round the Clock in the wee hours for passable guacamole and game recaps.

$22 for lunch sounds pretty reasonable to this New Yorker.

Spudnut

RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Mon, 06/13/05 12:00 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Forsyth

Hi, new to Roadfood, thanks to my friend Matt.

The Big Apple BBQ was something I wanted to go to, but kid commitments prevented me from getting into town this weekend.

Based on what was said here and what I heard from people who I know who went (long lines, very stingy portions, high prices) I'm glad I stayed home.

Blue Smoke is great, normally. Consistent and good music downstairs.

Paul's makes a good burger in a neighborhood I love but that is nearly devoid of really good food (a shock, I know). Playing darts in the East Village is my standard mode of operation.

Usually we wind up at 'Round the Clock in the wee hours for passable guacamole and game recaps.

$22 for lunch sounds pretty reasonable to this New Yorker.

Just to clarify, we spent $22 for two people.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Mon, 06/13/05 11:53 AM (permalink)
                $22.00 isn't bad even here in NE Fl, a trip to the Loop will set ya back about the same, I Know, I Know its a chain!! BUT... they do make good burgers an fries at least the local one does and the wait isn't to bad.

Chumley

RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Mon, 06/13/05 1:27 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by cornfed

Yes, they did reopen, but much fancier, only a remnant of its gloriously worn-in ramshackle self. Sort of trendy looking with flavored martinis.

Flavored Martini's!? I won't even bother. Thanks!

flattop5

• Total Posts: 113
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Mon, 06/13/05 1:56 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Chumley

quote:

As a former East Villager who scarfed down many a kasha varnishkes w/ mushroom gravy at 3:00 AM at Kiev, may I second that emotion? How very disappointing.....

Stewdude

RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Thu, 06/16/05 1:03 PM (permalink)
                      I have mixed feelings in hearing that the bbqfest was again out of control. I had gone last year and ended up spending an hour and a half on line to get a plate of food so I swore it off this year. I had read they made a lot of changes to the layout this year in order to avoid a repeat of last years crush. Guess it didn't work, but still glad to hear and proud of the fact that Ny'ers will turn out in drives for this stuff.

I was not wowed by my two visits to Blue Smoke. It was very good but I expect great things from Danny Meyer and I don't think he delivered great. I think Virgil's on West 43rd in the theater district is every bit as good and as far as bang for the buck on bbq goes, it is tough to beat the plates with two sides from Daisy Mae's bbq on the west side.

Chumley

RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Fri, 06/17/05 4:43 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Stewdude

I have mixed feelings in hearing that the bbqfest was again out of control. I had gone last year and ended up spending an hour and a half on line to get a plate of food so I swore it off this year. I had read they made a lot of changes to the layout this year in order to avoid a repeat of last years crush. Guess it didn't work, but still glad to hear and proud of the fact that Ny'ers will turn out in drives for this stuff.

I was not wowed by my two visits to Blue Smoke. It was very good but I expect great things from Danny Meyer and I don't think he delivered great. I think Virgil's on West 43rd in the theater district is every bit as good and as far as bang for the buck on bbq goes, it is tough to beat the plates with two sides from Daisy Mae's bbq on the west side.

Although I'm not a big Virgil's fan, I'm totally with you on Daisy Mae's. If I have to eat BBQ in NYC, that's where I'm going to do it. If the NYC Dinosaur turns out to be as good as Syracuse, that might become my first choice. And I've yet to try RUB.

Tony Bad

RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Fri, 06/17/05 4:58 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

Although I'm not a big Virgil's fan, I'm totally with you on Daisy Mae's. If I have to eat BBQ in NYC, that's where I'm going to do it. If the NYC Dinosaur turns out to be as good as Syracuse, that might become my first choice. And I've yet to try RUB.

Check chowhound.com for some reviews of RUB. I was surprised that many were not speaking highly of the place. I haven't gotten there yet either.

Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
                            RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Fri, 06/17/05 6:05 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by flattop5

quote:
                            Originally posted by Chumley

quote:

As a former East Villager who scarfed down many a kasha varnishkes w/ mushroom gravy at 3:00 AM at Kiev, may I second that emotion? How very disappointing.....

Is Veselka still open in that area? It's been a long time but I fondly remember them as a good dump with cheap Eastern European food.

Hiram Callahan

• Total Posts: 116
                              RE: BBQ outing becomes burger outing: NYC Tue, 06/21/05 6:44 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Howard Baratz

Is Veselka still open in that area? It's been a long time but I fondly remember them as a good dump with cheap Eastern European food.

Veselka is still open, but they went a bit upscale several years ago. You know, clean and all that other unnecessary stuff. The menu has remained fairly authentic, however.

For more authentic experiences, I like Little Poland (2nd between 12th and 13th) and Neptune (same block of 1st). I've also recently tried the Stage (2nd between 7th and St. Mark's) and been quite happy with it. Finally, for a real treat, there's the restaurant in the Ukranian National Home (2nd Avenue in that neighborhood but I forget the cross street). It's nearly unique in my experience.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com