I got plenty locations!!

Author
Caramel Copper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
2005/06/21 14:37:40 (permalink)

I got plenty locations!!

First of all let me say how much I have enjoyed reading this forum since I stumbled upon it last Wednesday. There is a "boatload" of knowledge & experience here, and posters are so generous with their time and advice. I thank you all.
I have been cooking on a regular basis since I was twelve (oldest daughter of two working parents), cooked for four children (as a single parent) and have done every job to be done in the back and front of the house excluding gourmet. Although I keep my nose in those cookbooks as much as time allows, I have only made a few dishes for friends (guinea pigs) :)
I have access to an unbelieveable location.....but it will play out come Jan. 2006. The state/county is making a divided highway out of the two-lane road that travels a half mile from my farm. The new highway crosses two bridges over West point lake where there is much fishing and skiing traffic on the weekends. During the week these roadworker guys eat from convenience stores (yes, I admit I have stalked them :)).
I have been successful in running homemade breakfast rolls (pepper bacon, country ham , sausage, and Country fried steak) as hard as my F150 will go. But I grow paranoid of the nearby convenience stores and I know they have GOT to be suffering, so it is a matter of time before they squeal me out. After reading non-stop for the last six days I have settled on a concession trailor:

1. I can move it. There is a college 15 miles away with no food vendors.

2. There is a large fishing population that would keep me busy starting in Feb. Getting up early is not a big deal for me as I used to work for an old man from 4:00 am to 10:00 pm for two years. Breakfast was short order, lunch was steam table veggies-I made the plates, and dinner was fried catfish, hushpuppies and fries.

3. I met a guy today who is selling all his restaurant stuff. Three stand alone gas fryers and one stand alone electric one. $350 apiece. A six burner gas oven ($300.00)with grill, oven, and two warming shelves (perfect for my homemade rolls to rise). Only problem is it probably weighs a billion tons and I don't think my truck will haul it. I will have to check them out because they haven't been used in a year since he closed (why, oh why do people think cooking is easy work?)

4. He gave me the health contacts to talk to, he said I could get by with a Peddlers Permit after the trailor is inspected.

5. There is only a Hawaiin Ice shack at the Home Depot.

6. Also my truck is paid for and very attractive, and I don't think buying a new one that has a kitchen on it makes much sense. There is a local VFW and several churches around so I could rent their kitchen and get commercial refrigeration later, maybe.

7. Health is lax in these parts....I had a cafe'/antique shop and got the kitchened OK'ed. The house was built in 1876. Used a Res. refridge with a therm in it. Only had to install a little hand sink.

Gee, I've started talking and can't shut up....sorry. :)

My question is this: Do I need an oven? My homemade rolls are KILL-ER but the heat would be killer too. I've cooked over fryers and grills for long hours, but an oven may push me over the edge. Plus in some of the places I've worked in my lifetime, there ain't much you can't deep-fry :) or cook in a sauce pan on the grill.

Whatcha think?

Copper

21 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1