The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Sat, 06/25/05 11:03 PM (permalink)
Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than other Dairy Queens?

I swear that the Dairy Queen in Coloma Michigan has the sweetiest, richiest, creamiest Soft Serve that I have eaten.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Sat, 06/25/05 11:32 PM (permalink)
    Probably depends on the pre-mix they buy... Could be a difference in various regions..

garryd451

RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Sun, 06/26/05 10:22 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by garryd451

Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than other Dairy Queens?

I swear that the Dairy Queen in Coloma Michigan has the sweetiest, richiest, creamiest Soft Serve that I have eaten.
      Thanks, that must be the reason! I don't know why but I thought all Dairy Queens had to buy the same mix from the Dairy Queen Corporation, I thought that was part of the franchise agreement. I must have been wrong about that, becuase your answer makes more sense than anything else I could think of.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
        RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Sun, 06/26/05 11:15 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by UncleVic

Probably depends on the pre-mix they buy... Could be a difference in various regions..

Higher butterfat content = richer flavor.

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Sun, 06/26/05 11:15 AM (permalink)
          You could be right! Then there may be some franchise cheaters out there...

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
            RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Mon, 06/27/05 12:14 AM (permalink)
            Why go to the Dairy Queen in Coloma, when the fabulous Sherman Dairy is just down the road in South Haven? www.shermanicecream.com

garryd451

RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Mon, 06/27/05 1:28 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Why go to the Dairy Queen in Coloma, when the fabulous Sherman Dairy is just down the road in South Haven? www.shermanicecream.com

I used to be a deliverly driver for a printing company that had 3 customers in Coloma, they didn't have any customers in South Haven. It was 40 miles, round trip, out of my way to go to South Haven. I am sure my bosses would question an extra 40 miles on the Compamny's truck, plus they also would of question the extra 30 to 40 minutes driving time!

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Mon, 06/27/05 9:08 AM (permalink)
                There are two types of Dairy Queen franchises. Those that participate in the Brazier food program and those that do not. Those that do are generally the ones that offer hamburgers and french fries and the specials like the steak finger baskets with gravy dipping sauce. The non-Brazier ones generally just offer hot dogs and maybe BBQ sandwiches and chips along with the ice cream. I think the non-Brazier DQs are given a lot of freedom in determining what they offer. A perfect exapmle is the coney sauce on the hot dogs. It is identical at all of the Brazier DQs but at some of the non-Brazier ones you will find major differences in the coney sauce. In Bloomington, IN for example, they offer a sacue that is basically a sloppy joe mixture. You can also just get the sauce in a sandwich that they call a spanish hamburger.

So my guess is that if they are offering a different mix at that DQ is that it is a non-Brazier DQ and the owner has found a mix he or she likes better.

chicagostyledog

RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Mon, 06/27/05 6:59 PM (permalink)
                  We used to spend summers at my uncle's cottage in Coloma back in the early 50's. My parents would always take us to Sherman Dairy for ice cream. Having no concept of time, all I cared about was getting there and getting fed. As a teenager, I used to ride my motorcycle from Chicago to Coloma on the weekends. Getting to Sherman Dairy was no problem back then. Speed limits were 70mph and everyone in that area exceeded the limits.

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Mon, 06/27/05 7:24 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

We used to spend summers at my uncle's cottage in Coloma back in the early 50's. My parents would always take us to Sherman Dairy for ice cream. Having no concept of time, all I cared about was getting there and getting fed. As a teenager, I used to ride my motorcycle from Chicago to Coloma on the weekends. Getting to Sherman Dairy was no problem back then. Speed limits were 70mph and everyone in that area exceeded the limits.

Highway speeds in Michigan have been 70 again for several years!

chicagostyledog

RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Mon, 06/27/05 9:21 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

quote:

The speed limit is 65mph in Illinois, but most do 80mph. Enter Wisconsin at that speed and you're looking at a$300-$400 ticket . Michigan drivers drive faster than Illinois drivers. While driving in Michigan on the highway, I never pass any one, and I'm going 80mph.

garryd451

RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Mon, 06/27/05 9:51 PM (permalink)
                        quote:

quote:

quote:

The speed limit is 65mph in Illinois, but most do 80mph. Enter Wisconsin at that speed and you're looking at a$300-$400 ticket . Michigan drivers drive faster than Illinois drivers. While driving in Michigan on the highway, I never pass any one, and I'm going 80mph.

You can thank our Governor for that! Everbody is going 80 to 90 miles per hour because in the last 3 years, somewhere between 500 and 700 State troopers have retired! So far, She has only added less than a hundred new troopers to replace them!!!!!!!!

chicagostyledog

RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Mon, 06/27/05 11:51 PM (permalink)
                          Garry,

Small world. My number one son lives in Mishawaka. I have a friend that lives in Berrien Springs. He owns Gingerman Raceway. You live in a great area for fresh peaches. BTW, my last ticket was in Niles. Behind me was an unmarked squad filming my autocross skills (driving in & out of the little orange cones on 31 northbound at an extremely high rate of speed). He played back the video and it was a stellar performance(I didn't hit a single cone). I was driving a red, race prepared, Mazda Miata, returning to Wisconsin from the Tirerack in South Bend.

garryd451

RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Tue, 06/28/05 12:17 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

Garry,

Small world. My number one son lives in Mishawaka. I have a friend that lives in Berrien Springs. He owns Gingerman Raceway. You live in a great area for fresh peaches. BTW, my last ticket was in Niles. Behind me was an unmarked squad filming my autocross skills (driving in & out of the little orange cones on 31 northbound at an extremely high rate of speed). He played back the video and it was a stellar performance(I didn't hit a single cone). I was driving a red, race prepared, Mazda Miata, returning to Wisconsin from the Tirerack in South Bend.

Normaly, the fresh peaches start around August 1st, but with all the Hot Weather, in the last 20 days, I am not sure when they will start.

I know some were freezed out this past spring and winter, with all the cold weather. Yep, been real strange weather this year!

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Tue, 06/28/05 12:29 AM (permalink)
                              quote:

Garry,

Ha ha Mario... Ya need to slow down between a line that goes between White Pidgeon and Three Rivers... Some sort of enforcement zone (Atleast on 131, but probably works west to 31 also)... After that, you can cruise to about 82mph and not worry about being harrased. Atleast thats been my luck driving thru speed traps...

chicagostyledog

RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Tue, 06/28/05 3:33 PM (permalink)
                                UV,
                                I didn't get a speeder. I was ticketed for improper lane usage in a construction zone.

Garry,
                                The only problem I've had with buying fresh peaches from the orchards is transporting them home without bruising. They're only sold in baskets and not pre-boxed like the type sold in retail food stores.

garryd451

RE: Do some Dairy Queens have better Soft Serve than o Tue, 06/28/05 4:02 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

UV,
                                  I didn't get a speeder. I was ticketed for improper lane usage in a construction zone.

Garry,
                                  The only problem I've had with buying fresh peaches from the orchards is transporting them home without bruising. They're only sold in baskets and not pre-boxed like the type sold in retail food stores.

I never thought of that! I have always bought mine from roadside narkets or roadside stand and I live within 15 to 30 miles of where i usally buy my peaches, so I never have had that happen to me.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com