The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best places in Buffalo for wings

Buffalobrown

• Total Posts: 5
Best places in Buffalo for wings Fri, 07/1/05 5:00 PM (permalink)
I am from Buffalo and consider wings one of, if not, my favorite food. The best places to find wings are usually:

1. Almost any old dive bars in Buffalo. Usually, the dirtier the better. Remember, wings are deep fried and you don't need a real clean establishment to make good wings.

Some of my favotites:

- Elmo's - 2349 Millersport Getzville, NY (Amherst)
- Anchor Bar - 1047 Main St. Buffalo (downtown) (the original spot)
- Nine-Eleven Tavern - 11 Bloomfield (South Buffalo) DIVE! but one of the best wing presentations I've ever seen!
- Buffalo Brew Pub - Main and Transit (Williamsville)offers the Buffalo combo - 5 wings and a mini beef on weck.
- Danny's - 3715 Genesee St. (Cheektowaga) near the airport
- Danny's - 4300 Abbott Road (Orchard Park) near the stadium
- Duff's - Millersport and Sheridan (Amherst) very greasy smelling but good wings soaking in Frank's Red Hot and butter (the best sauce for wings!)
- Caputi's - 2351 Sheridan (Tonawanda)
- Gabriel's Gate - 145 Allen (Allentown - Buffalo) good, big wings, but pricey.

There are many, many other great Dive bars for wings

2. Most local pizza chains have decent wings, but they don't seem to be very crunchy, especially if they are delivered. NOTE ** NEVER GET WINGS FROM A NATIONAL CHAIN PIZZERIA OR SUPERMARKET *** ex. Domino's, Pizza Hut. The Buffalo pizza market is also one the best and most competitive in the world. There are only a handful of national pizza chains in Buffalo. Papa John's won't even try to compete. Only 3 Domino's in Buffalo. Good pizzerias for wings:

- Bocce's - 4174 N. Bailey (Amherst), 1614 Transit (Williamsville), Hopkins and Dodge (Williamsville)
- Santora's
- Picasso's
- La Nova's - the BEST BBQ wings (tied) Rhode Island (Buffalo - west side)
- Raymondo's -the BEST BBQ wings (tied) Transit and Roll (East Amherst)
- John and Mary's
- Avenue Pizza
- LaPorta's - Hopkins and Klein (Williamsville)

3. Local sub shops usually have good wings too and great chicken finger subs:
- Hoagie Brothers

*****NOTE- the only dipping suace is real blue cheese dip, don't get fooled by blue cheese dressing it must be dip. And never Ranch!!!!

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Best places in Buffalo for wings Fri, 07/1/05 5:51 PM (permalink)
    Thanks. I love good wings, I don't get to Buffalo very often. Maybe I'll try to brew some up at home ... I'm thinkin' of getting one of those deep fryers at Fry's -- then 'd grill 'em the way that is so popular in Florida.

Welcome to Roadfood.

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
      RE: Best places in Buffalo for wings Fri, 07/1/05 7:16 PM (permalink)
      Question, should proper wings be breaded and then fried or only fried "naked" (no breading)? I have had it both ways and I am trying to determine if region dictates that style or if the one version is more authentic then the other version.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
        RE: Best places in Buffalo for wings Fri, 07/1/05 7:35 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        mousec Posted - 07/01/2005 : 19:16:00
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Question, should proper wings be breaded and then fried or only fried "naked" (no breading)? I have had it both ways and I am trying to determine if region dictates that style or if the one version is more authentic then the other version.

"Naked"
        I Googled it for you ............
        The key to good buffalo wings is how you prepare them as well as the ingredients and the handling of the wings. The most successful wings served up here in Buffalo, NY, are what they call Grade A Grinders. They are fresh wings that are very large and meaty. Usually, you cannot get them in a frozen package, but you can get them from a poultry dealer. Once you find them, make sure they are absolutely fresh.

*This is a real key. Drying the wings under refrigeration will help to make them a much crispier product, once deep-fried.

**For the very brave, 1 part margarine to 3 parts hot sauce and 1 part tabasco is referred to as Suicidal Wings by the late and dear Don Bellissimo, who owned the Anchor Bar.

***There are many good hot sauces to use. The one they use at the Anchor Bar is either Durkee Franks Red Hot Sauce or Wingers Original, again found in a restaurant cash and carry.

Serve with celery sticks and chunky blue cheese dressing (Ken's Buffalo Style Blue Cheese is a popular one)

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
          RE: Best places in Buffalo for wings Fri, 07/1/05 8:52 PM (permalink)
          I remember when wings became popular, was it around 1989-2002, am I right about that? Mom came home from the grocery store and wondered why all of the chicken parts she used to make soup with had become so expensive.

I like the "naked" ones with a spicy sauce and a side of blue cheese and celery. I've never made them at home, I'm thinking I should try some in my smoker. Do you deep fry "naked" wings, I'm so used to deep frying items that are battered....not that I ever deep fry.

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
            RE: Best places in Buffalo for wings Fri, 07/1/05 10:06 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Theedge

I remember when wings became popular, was it around 1989-2002, am I right about that? Mom came home from the grocery store and wondered why all of the chicken parts she used to make soup with had become so expensive.

I like the "naked" ones with a spicy sauce and a side of blue cheese and celery. I've never made them at home, I'm thinking I should try some in my smoker. Do you deep fry "naked" wings, I'm so used to deep frying items that are battered....not that I ever deep fry.

It all depends where you're from, in terms of when they became popular. By the way, that's a pretty wide range you offered, but I assume you meant 1999-2002.

I'm from the Buffalo area, and grew up eating them. From my earliest memories in the early 1970s, they were around and popular. But, granted, that's an aberration since they were "invented" there.

And I'll weigh in that, yes, authentic Buffalo-style wings are never, ever breaded.

Buffalobrown

• Total Posts: 5
              RE: Best places in Buffalo for wings Mon, 07/4/05 2:51 PM (permalink)
              True Buffalo-style chicken wings are never breaded or baked, I've only seen one bar in Buffalo (Charlie O'Brians in South Buffalo) bread wings and they were pretty bad, more like fried chicken. Hooters gives you the choice of naked or breaded. As for chicken fingers (breaded chicken tenderlon strips), these are great breaded. I sometimes actually prefer chicken fingers to wings. And a chicken finger sub (MMMMMMMM) (hoagie roll, 2 or 3 deep-fried chicken fingers tossed in Franks Red Hot Sauce and butter, with lettuce, tomato and blue cheese) it doesn't get any better. You can get great Tyson brand breaded chicken fingers (I think they call them tenderloins) in the frozen section at BJ's, Costco or Sam's Club.

As for the sauce, always use Frank's Red Hot and melted butter, sometimes I add some black pepper and garlic powder. Almost every place in Buffalo makes their sauce by simply mixing Franks Red Hot and melted butter. Depending on if you order them mild, medium or hot just depends on the ratio of Franks to butter (more butter for milder sauce).

The way to mix the wings with the sauce is to let the wings sit and dry off for 5 minutes after you're done deep frying them. Add them to a tupperware bowl, add the Franks and butter, seal the lid and gently toss and shake, let them sit in the sealed containg for a few minutes to let the sauce and aroma absorb.

If you're making them at home, the only problem I find is that the oil is too "clean" since you're using fresh oil and therefore, you don't get as much flavor.

For blue cheese, Rooties is really good. The actual bar "Rooties" closed down, but I think they still sell the blue cheese nationally. It is actually distributed from a company in Ft. Lauderdale. Ken's is good, so is Marie's (I think it might be a Buffalo local) Make sure it is "chucky", whichever brand you choose.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com