The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Keeping help

jcats65

• Total Posts: 7
Keeping help Tue, 07/5/05 3:23 PM (permalink)
My brother and I started a hot dog restuarant Trolley Dogs in Kenosha Wisconsin. We both have to hold our current jobs and run the restuarant. When ever we pick some one to be the manager they started not doing anything and taking an hour lunch. One even locked the doors and quit while we were both at least an hour away due to our main income jobs. We are now attempting to have a "shift supervisor" instead. The one that we want to have went on vacation and won't be back till august 30th. We have some great kids working there. I don't know if we can wait till the one guy comes back because I notice that the moral is going down.
How do you pick people and how do you keep them with only being able to pay minimum wage?

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
    RE: Keeping help Tue, 07/5/05 5:49 PM (permalink)
    Speaking as someone who had one of those jobs--actually had LOTS of those jobs--i hate to be the bearer of bad news but--minimum wage food services jobs means LOTS of turnover! Its darn near impossible to get anyone to be responsible at the manager level at minimum wage. You may have to bite the bullet and pay ONE person a highter wage---but i believe in the long run its worth it---ine person with a professional attitude can make a staff of teens a LOT easier to deal with! You may consider someone like me---semi or MOSTLY retired--who doesnt need to make a lot of cash but has the experiaence that you need to fill in for you guys when you are at your "day job". Yhier are more and more seniors looking for part time work nowadays--McDonalds loves them!!!--especially since they are available in the day time during school sessions and they usually have already got a work ethic.

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
      RE: Keeping help Tue, 07/5/05 6:26 PM (permalink)
      I have a lady that's been with the business almost five years and three owners now. She is very, very valuable to me and I pay her that way. The rest of them, besides the cook, I could replace at almost a whim and they know it, but I still pay them more than any other food service place in town so I don't have to keep training new employees, which is expensive.

The old saying still applies: You get what you pay for. So, Tiki gave you some great advice.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
        RE: Keeping help Wed, 07/6/05 12:14 AM (permalink)
        The type of job is irrelevant, lawn crew helpers, grocerey baggers, gas pumpers..your main supply is teens, teens without a work ethic, when you find the one that does have good working skills grab him/her, hold on tight to everything but your pocket book. Its always been that way and probably always will

Xfireguy

• Total Posts: 105
          RE: Keeping help Wed, 07/6/05 9:09 AM (permalink)
          Don't want to be rude but you or your bro need to quit one of your jobs and run the restaurant. Show your employees that you care enough about the business. When you try to run the business from afar you end up killing it. It gives the employees teh attitude that all you're interested in is making money. Work with your employees even if its only 1 or 2 days a week it shows them that you care about the place and you'll get to see the crap that they have to do for minimum wage. You need to know how your business works from the inside. Trust me nothing makes an employee more upset than having absent leadership especially when they are busting their humps and getting little or no credit. By working with your employees you'll see who the shining stars are so you can decide who to trust when your not there, but you need to show your employees that they are an investment not just replacable slaves. A poor manager has the attitude that "I can replace any of my employees with any bum off the street". If you have that kind of attitude just throw you money out the window because thats all you're doing. Employees are an investment they are the most important part of your business. Without employees whether its a crew of 100, 1000 or just you, the business can not survive. Sorry for babbling, in short get in their get your hands dirty along side these people and they will respect you and watch how their attitudes change for the better.

jcats65

RE: Keeping help Wed, 07/6/05 9:56 AM (permalink)
            I really do appreciate all replies I am looking for insight.
            I do work all day saturdays and sundays (luckily my wife is understanding about me working 7 days a week for now). And I do all of the work with them (including all of the bad bathroom deals. I want to show them that if I can they can). We are about a year or to away from being able to pay off the debt it created. My brother is there at night after his work.
            Through the 2 years we have been open we did have two people we took care of after we felt comfortable with them. They both have left. Towards the end they started just bossing and not doing. Unlike my self and the way I showed them. I explain to them that I understand it is just a starting point for people and that I will lose them, but if we can keep it simple and fun then it should not be a problem as long as they give me notice we can work things around and give them a great reference.
            The first guy lied to every one and said he was making way more then we can offord. I didn't know this so the second guy got frustrated even when I gave him the raise to be manager. He ended up locking the doors and walking away.
            I am looking for a couple of seniors but have not found any yet.
            We do pay more then most of the places here (white caslte pays pretty well but they are 24 hours). Don't get me wrong we have some very good people but they are going to school (college and high school). We work hard on the schedule to give people what they need and work around alot of extra activities (ie bands, football, class schedules, and vacations).
            Is there a viable way to give benefits with out breaking the bank?

bassrocker4u2

• Total Posts: 534
              RE: Keeping help Thu, 07/7/05 7:27 AM (permalink)
              most kids could care less about benefits like health care, and retirement. thats the farthest fromtheir minds. the best benies for them would be concert tickets, cellular air time, cash, tickets to theme parks, cash, video games, movie rentals, e.t.c.
              i suggest you put into place an employee appreciation system where they get this kind of stuff if they show up every day, do every thing right, never late, never call off, and whatever other problem area you have. make a chart and poster board to show who is being rewarded with what. this may take a while, but it should turn them around....motivation is the key.

jcats65

RE: Keeping help Thu, 07/7/05 10:16 AM (permalink)
                Thank you that sounds great! I was doing a guess the number of dogs sold in a month and I gave Best buy gift certs. This is a great idea though.
                quote:
                Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

most kids could care less about benefits like health care, and retirement. thats the farthest fromtheir minds. the best benies for them would be concert tickets, cellular air time, cash, tickets to theme parks, cash, video games, movie rentals, e.t.c.
                i suggest you put into place an employee appreciation system where they get this kind of stuff if they show up every day, do every thing right, never late, never call off, and whatever other problem area you have. make a chart and poster board to show who is being rewarded with what. this may take a while, but it should turn them around....motivation is the key.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com