The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rays: Original, Famous, et al

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Rays: Original, Famous, et al Thu, 07/14/05 1:44 AM (permalink)
Been checking the posts and I can't find a reference to the NYC Rays Pizza Wars.

"Rays" is a hotly contested name for a "pizza parlor" in Manhattan, with a bunch of different unrelated spots claiming to be the "Real" Ray's (which I think is run by someone named John or Mr. Rainaldo or something). I don't have all the facts but I'll bet someone outh there does.

Anyhooo, I use the Ray's on W. 11 St and it is and has been for years The Best (at least to me.) Around the corner from St. Vincent's Hospital so staff eats there, and the can probably admit you to the ER directly from there.

The best part of the pizza is that you buy it by the slice, they use high quality chesses, which the put on first, then add other ingredients, then another layer of cheese, then back in the oven for a second bake. You usually have to use a knife & fork to eat it (tho that's not the usual NY style, where you usually fold it.)

There's newspaper clippings on the wall about a story that a bunch of college students in London (UK) took up a collection to fly 2 students back to NY to order some pies and fly them back to London! Another one that if you call the telehone operators in NY for information a lot of them have the number memorized. (If you can get the "right" Ray's).

Yes, it is buono!

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4485
    RE: Rays: Original, Famous, et al Thu, 07/14/05 9:30 AM (permalink)
    Oddly enough, NYNM, there is a very good website devoted to NY pizza, and in particular to slices

http://www.sliceny.com/

These folks go to great lengths to find the very best in NY pizza, but they do not seem to ave much love for any of the many Ray's. However, if you email them or drop a note via te comments link, I think they may address it directly with an article.

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
      RE: Rays: Original, Famous, et al Thu, 07/14/05 10:05 AM (permalink)
      I think the Ray's are pretty run of the mill, with the one on 11th being the pre-eminent among them. I haven't eaten there for more than a decade, so couldn't weigh in its quality anymore. I always thought it was really good for what it was, but too cheesy for my personal preference. In fact, I'll rephrase that. When I first moved to NYC, I loved Ray's. As my tastes shifted and I acquired more of a taste for NYC-style pizza, I began liking 11th-Street Ray's less.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
        RE: Rays: Original, Famous, et al Thu, 07/14/05 12:43 PM (permalink)
        I'm confused. Are you talking about Ray's Famous, or Famous Ray's, or Original Ray's, or Ray's Original, or Famous Ray's Original, or Original Famous Ray's, or Ray's Famous Original, or Original Ray's Famous, or Famous Original Ray's

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
          RE: Rays: Original, Famous, et al Thu, 07/14/05 6:57 PM (permalink)
          all of the above, of course

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
            RE: Rays: Original, Famous, et al Thu, 07/14/05 10:12 PM (permalink)
            I forgot Ray Bari up on Third Ave. Actually I think I might have had a slice at all the above named places. But I am in agreement with everyone that the original Famous Ray's at Sixth and 11th in the Village is the one that started it all.

d11

• Total Posts: 1
              RE: Rays: Original, Famous, et al Sat, 08/13/05 8:11 PM (permalink)
              There's a Famous Original Ray's Pizza at 831 Seventh I went to recently. I haven't been to enough of them to know but I really liked the bacon/pepperoni slices.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com