The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tacconelli's (Philadelphia) Report

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
Tacconelli's (Philadelphia) Report Thu, 07/28/05 9:11 AM (permalink)
This is one of Philly's most lauded pizzerias, so we finally went yesterday.

On a side street in a pretty residential neighborhood, Tacconelli's is so unassuming that you can't guarantee being there until inside. There's a lot of charm (the "guys and dolls" rest room doors complete with sketches, the amazing brick oven that you have to peek in to see), and a lot of twists (no prices on the menu, and get this---you have to call ahead to order your dough). Guessing, we ordered three pies for three healthy appetites and came up about 33% short.

These are round brick-oven pies, extremely thin---great crusts.

First up, the white garlic pie---no sauce, just a lot of crunch. The thin-crust, garlic/oil/cheese combination was perfect. EXCELLENT!!

Second, the tomato and cheese pie topped with pepperoni. Great crust, but for me...the sauce could've been a little sweeter. The combination didn't work out the way I liked. Still that crust, makes a world of difference. GOOD!

Third, the tomato pie with 1/2 onion. The tomatoes (a thicker spread) were piled high and had a bit more tang than on pie #2. By this point we were stuffed, but this combination worked. VERY GOOD!

For me...this can't compare to the very best New Haven or Old Forge pizza, but the white garlic comes pretty darn close! Just remember to call ahead for your dough!

kitty626

• Total Posts: 49
    RE: Tacconelli's (Philadelphia) Report Thu, 07/28/05 9:32 AM (permalink)
    This is my first post, but as a transplanted Philly girl, I just wanted to say 'thanks for the memories'. Now I want pizza for breakfast!

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
      RE: Tacconelli's (Philadelphia) Report Thu, 07/28/05 9:42 AM (permalink)
      Thanks for the report, Stanpnepa. I'll keep the place in mind the next time I go to Philly for a cheesesteak fix. And welcome, kitty626.

Stanpnepa, could you give a street address, and phone number (for dough-ordering)?

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
        RE: Tacconelli's (Philadelphia) Report Thu, 07/28/05 9:54 AM (permalink)
        Sure.

2604 E. Somerset (between Thompson and Almond), Philadephia.
        (215) 425 4983. They are only open in the early evening and closed Monday and Tuesday.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Tacconelli's (Philadelphia) Report Thu, 07/28/05 11:15 AM (permalink)
          Tacconelli's recently opened a second location. It's on Lenola Road in Maple Shade, NJ. You do not have to reserve your pie shells in advance. The quality is very close to the original.
          By the way, the reason for the pre-ordering requirement at the original location in Philly, is that the old, oil burning oven only runs and stays hot for x amount of time. After that, they can't make pizzas.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
            RE: Tacconelli's (Philadelphia) Report Thu, 07/28/05 4:08 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by CheeseWit

Tacconelli's recently opened a second location. It's on Lenola Road in Maple Shade, NJ. You do not have to reserve your pie shells in advance. The quality is very close to the original.
            By the way, the reason for the pre-ordering requirement at the original location in Philly, is that the old, oil burning oven only runs and stays hot for x amount of time. After that, they can't make pizzas.
            Hmmm my home grounds (lenola) a return to the area 2?yrs ago found me lost in the maze of the new mall..

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
              RE: Tacconelli's (Philadelphia) Report Fri, 07/29/05 2:31 AM (permalink)
              CW, I'll need some directions for Maple Shade. Thank you very much.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com