The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past

Kinfetch

• Total Posts: 7
The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 3:04 PM (permalink)
In 1996, I got my first computer. As I was learning my way around, I bumped into a place called (as I remember) Junk Food. Being a afficienado of junk food in general(specializing in Yankee Comfort Foods)I jumped right in and had clearly found my niche!

Almost ten years later I was searching for a recipe for a raspberry lime ricky....and my search led me to an old (2003) post here at RoadFood. As always, I read all of the posts on that page, which had quite a thread about ginger ale in New England. It was interesting and took me back to my childhood, a sweet thing.

Well, lo and behold, who do I come across, but Al The Mayor Bowen. In his former life as BowenAJ, he was the first to welcome me to Junk Foods so many years ago. For years, we wrote on a couple of different message boards, John the Hitchhiker being the major subject of our combined literary skills....and to this day, he is on my Buddy List.

I am delighted to be back here...I think I might stay around. I live in Maine, now, and can certainly contribute to any lobster, Moxie, Indian pudding,baked bean and/or hot dog thread!

I DID find my raspberry lime ricky recipe and so, my day is made! I'm a happy girl!

Hi Al. So good to see you again, and in such an exalted position as Moderator. Not a surprise, no indeed, not at all!

Thanks for listening!

Ki

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
    RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 3:08 PM (permalink)
    Welcome abord Kin! Any friend of the Mayors is alright in my book and a "Down East Yankee" Moxie fan to boot!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 3:20 PM (permalink)
      Kinfetch, My dear Friend,
      Yes you are still on the Buddy List here also. We do date back to the time when AOL charged on-line time by the metered hour!! I seem to recall that we had some 'multi-hundred dollar a month' service charges back then. You are indeed a beautiful addition to the Roadfood Group. I thought when we swapped notes a few years back that I had described this site and the fun it generates.

To all my Roadfood Friends, Kinfetch was a part of my early cyber-life. She helped me thru a lot of mid-life decision making back in those High-Desert Bachelor Days. I am very glad she has found us, as I know she can add tons of fun stuff to this site. Kin, Check out some of the forums for recipes and fun locations.
      ...And remember to keep a full-moon evening open to meet under the St Louis Arch for a Snout Sandwich or two.

Al

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
        RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 3:26 PM (permalink)
        When you say raspberry lime rickey, are you by any chance referring to the soda fountain drink we used to call a razz-lime in Connecticut back in the '40s and '50s? That was raspberry syrup and carbonated water with a touch of lime syrup and a wedge of lime tossed in.

Oh, and welcome to Roadfood. As tiki said, any friend of the Mayor ...

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 3:41 PM (permalink)

Michael,
          That's the drink !!! I think Sonic grabbed that up and "Slushed" it in their current frenzy of slushy beverages. But I do remember the Soda Fountain ones!!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
            RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 4:08 PM (permalink)
            OK! A razz-lime and a hamburger at Eddie Rahm's on Center Street in downtown New Haven before heading to the movies on a rainy Saturday afternoon was a looked-forward-to event when I was a kid.

Sundancer7

RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 7:05 PM (permalink)
              The Mayor is a politician and knows folks from everywhere. They come out of the woodwork after several years. He is one cool dude.

He is a great person.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 8:36 PM (permalink)

Kinfetch

RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 11:14 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by fpczyz

Kinfetch

RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 07/28/05 11:30 PM (permalink)
                    Well, you can certainly tell a newcomer when you see one, can't you??? My posting skills are apparently quite rusty...I certainly did not intend to waste anyone's valuable time by re-posting that (albeit hilarious and totally appropriate) cartoon!

I will say that Mayor Bowen has done quite an excellent job of paving the way for my coming....an armored tank and flak jacket just may be what the doctor (or the Mayor!) ordered.

However, given that you don't know me well as yet, I promise to be gentle until you have had time to comprehend what sort of whirlwind has whooshed into your neck of the woods!

The Mayor has already taken the liberty of sending me a picture of Poverty Pete, Paul-Sundancer, Janet (hello, dear, its been a while and do you still have that shiny gold thong? Will I ever forget the WalMart trip that yielded that particular item!) as well as Mr. Bowen himself in the flesh and Tiki, who I believe is already the man of my dreams. (Sorry, Al, you're married now and all bets are off!)

So *I* have some idea of who I'm dealing with..and YOU don't ...but be careful what you ask for....some day you may know me tooooooo well!

Note that it is nearly midnight and so I must be off for the moment, with dreams of raspberry lime ricky's (which I *did* find sufficient ingredients for since my last post!).

Adieu, my new friends....thank you all for your kind words of welcome!

PS: With some suitable persuading (or blatant bribery!) I may tell a few stories of the good ol days when The Mayor was a beloved high school teacher and bon vivant of a certain group of messageboard lovin hooligans!

Nite nite!

Imnopoodle

• Total Posts: 1
                      RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Fri, 10/14/05 1:34 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by fpczyz

Well, well. It's practically a reunion. Kinfetch, Bowenaj, not sure if you'll remember the name, but I sure remember yours.

Yours, in hitchhikerdome,

Candy

Kinfetch

RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Sat, 10/15/05 1:02 AM (permalink)
                        Oh my god!! Its the Poodle!

Al! Somebody go get the Mayor! AL!

Look! Look who it is!!!

Who's going to be next...Nomad? AnEvilTwin? That sweet minister-lady...I forget her name! And oh dare I say it? Elizabeth and Tilly Kitty??

....wandering down memory lane-->-->

PS: I'm sorry I disappeared this summer: I've spent most of it Keeping a Lighthouse in Cape Porpoise, Maine, but that's another story!!! I'll be back...I've moved ashore and computer time is no longer limited!!!!

Hope to make up for lost time...I seem to remember The Mayor sending me a photo or two of some of ya....Yes...a particularly handsome wall of manhood (and Jan!! holding the fort for all us women! Fine job, Jan!)

Let me know you're all well and thriving!!!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Sat, 10/15/05 1:22 AM (permalink)

KIN & Candy,
                          There was Vicki xx from Atlanta. We did stop in and visit her on one of the summer roadtrips in the 90's. And Hennesy in Michigan. AND J2dogs also from Michigan. I don't remember the name of the truck driver who married his girl-friend (they met on line).
                          That was an interesting group!
                          Glad to see and hear from the two of you again. Candy, Welcome to Roadfood!

Poet of Ash Creek

• Total Posts: 3
                            RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Mon, 03/13/06 2:16 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

When you say raspberry lime rickey, are you by any chance referring to the soda fountain drink we used to call a razz-lime in Connecticut back in the '40s and '50s? That was raspberry syrup and carbonated water with a touch of lime syrup and a wedge of lime tossed in.

Oh, and welcome to Roadfood. As tiki said, any friend of the Mayor ...

Poet of Ash Creek

• Total Posts: 3
                              RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Mon, 03/13/06 2:32 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

OK! A razz-lime and a hamburger at Eddie Rahm's on Center Street in downtown New Haven before heading to the movies on a rainy Saturday afternoon was a looked-forward-to event when I was a kid.

I know the topic might be a bit stale... but I want to review your info on Razz-lime.

I grew up in New Haven. And my parents belonged to the Race Brook Country Club... and there were two drinks that my older brother and I would treat ourselves to upon completion of a round of golf...

A black cow...

Or a Razz-Lime.

I do bit of writing and I want to nail down the origin of the drink and its recipe. It seems to me that it would have been as you suggest, raspberry syrup added to carbonated water... easy at a soda fountain (like the one they had at Beck's drugstore on Edgewood Ave)...

It's just that I don't think Racebrook would have had a soda fountain (and then again, maybe they did)... do you think it could have been ginger ale with grenadine, or something like that... and it was only called razz-lime?

Anything you could add would be helpful.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                                RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Tue, 03/14/06 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                What the hell is a moxie?

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                  RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Wed, 03/15/06 6:00 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by shortchef

What the hell is a moxie?
                                  Liquid ambrosa in a can. Not for the uneducated palate. I love the stuff. It's my soft drink of choice. I do on occasion like a lime rickey on a hot summer day it's great with vodka. Chow Jim

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Wed, 03/15/06 1:00 PM (permalink)

Jim,
                                    Would a Lime Rickey with either Gin or Vodka in it be called a 'Gimlet'?

Shortchef. Check the threads about Soft Drinks..There are a couple of Long ones, that are around a lot. The subject of the quality or lack there0f of MOXIE, the Regional Soft Drink from New England, is frequently the subject of discussion.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                      RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Wed, 03/15/06 3:53 PM (permalink)
                                      Al, I belive a gimlet is just lime juice, garnished w/lime and sometime the glass is laced w/ powderd sugar but ethier way it's pretty good. Chow Jim

Kinfetch

RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Wed, 03/15/06 6:18 PM (permalink)
                                        Moxie? Did someone say MOXIE???

I have just come home from grocery shopping here in Maine. My first activity is, of course, to check my email. So I dropped over here to see what was up.

And what is sitting right next to my mouse? The can of tonic I bought for the ride home: only an ice cold (but what isn't in Maine, today?) MOXIE.

I LOVE the stuff!!!! mmmmmmmm An educated palate, indeed, Jimeats!

Puts HAIR ON YOUR CHEST!!! whooooooo wheeeeeeeee

PS: Please tell me about the New England Bus Tour in May! All of those places on the itinerary are local to me....Nick's Roast Beef kept me fed while I was in hospital having twins. I must say, however, that Bill and Bob's Roast Beef is MUCH better and their onion rings are to die for. Please consider adding Bill and Bob's!

Al The Mayor Sir: Are YOU coming this way for this event??? Seeing you would be the icing on my Hostess Cupcakes!! >We missed the Arch in St. Louis..we could try for the Route 62 underpass in Danvers, down from the Village Green....whaddaya think?<

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Wed, 03/15/06 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                          Kin
                                          I am afraid that we will not be in the group touring the NorthShore. We are headed out to the Red Rock country of Colorado, Utah and Arizona to follow a good portion of the Old Spanish Trail for a few weeks in May. if the snow melts quick enough we will finally get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon too, but's iffy based on the current opening day projections for the North Rim Road.

Maybe we could secure one of the 'Suites' at that famous Danvers State institution on the hill overlooking that underpass?? ( For a Reunion of Sorts later in the year.??)

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                                            RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Wed, 03/15/06 11:45 PM (permalink)
                                            Hi Kin,

I just met Al and his lovely wife in Feb. 06, but I already know I'd love to hear more stories! Welcome to Roadfood!

Alice

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Thu, 03/16/06 10:48 AM (permalink)
                                              KIN.... Please, Not the one about how your toe got stuck in the wine-bottle neck. But if you have the photo of you in the Teddy tending your woodstove while making Indian Pudding... With a little Photoshop work, that would be suitable for this group.
                                              All of you need to keep in mind, these were those Pre-Janet days when I was a bachelor (2nd time). The internet communication, as many of you recall was a whole new realm and lots of interaction in unstructured environments happened almost overnight. As I commented earlier, AOL was charging by the hour at that time. The monthly service bills were quite large at times!

Kinfetch

RE: The Mayor, Indian Pudding and the Past Fri, 03/17/06 8:04 AM (permalink)
                                                My dear Mayor! You know me as the Soul of Discretion, don't you? Have faith, nothing untoward will EVER post here (at least not by ME!) Your past is safe!!!

Ahhhh.....so many stories, however....the Hitchhiker Hoard tended to be rowdy as a group; Al and I were merely PAWNS ( PAWNS, I tell you!) in the often colorful cyberTreks. Yes, innocent bystanders, never instigating ANY of the offcolor discussions, nor did we engage in any sort of improper behavior ever. We went to a few horseraces, visited St. Louis, trekked across a desert with the Hitchhiker crew, and generally teased each other into a frothing frenzy at any opportunity! Alas, at that time, Janet DID arrive on the scene and yes, I have to admit that had I been on the same coast, I would have elbowed her out of the way and claimed the esteemed Mayor as my own! Instead, I watched him fall in love and change his life in some very wonderful ways and I was very proud to be counted among his Cyber Friends. I still might be just a little bit in love with the Man..heh heh heh. And Janet really IS a love and tolerant of Al's bicoastal CyberHarem, of which I am only one!

Enough of all that. Anyone who wants to hear the REALLY colorful stuff, email me directly and we'll dish!

I would love to hear from anyone who is going to be on the New England Tour in May. I will absolutely be there and it would be ever so much more fun if I actually knew some of you! Please please let me meet you!

And a happy St. Patrick's Day to all. I am making an authentic Lamb Stew, fresh herbs (critical!), some excellent local lamb and a goodly amount of Guiness Stout (in the stew, not in me!! The Irish Mist is for bringin out the jiggin in this dancin fool!)

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!
                                                Ach is leor nod don eolach, a chairde: seachnaígí an roth stiúrtha!

Éire go Brách!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com