The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Donuts in the Adirondacks

HughYeman

• Total Posts: 84
Donuts in the Adirondacks Tue, 08/2/05 11:22 AM (permalink)
On Saturday I tried the donuts at the Raquette Lake General Store for the first time, and I was astonished. They're the best homemade "friedcakes" I've had in many years. If you happen to be on Route 28 in the Adirondacks, take a one mile detour to the store. You'll be glad you did. By the way, the chocolate chip cookies are also sublime.

Another great donut source, just a few miles up the road, is Mary's in Inlet. They have a large variety of donuts, breads, and pastries. Their friedcakes are very good too, but I think the real star of the show is their maple fudge donuts. They're way too rich to have often, but man, when you do, it's heaven.

-Hugh

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
    RE: Donuts in the Adirondacks Wed, 08/3/05 8:28 AM (permalink)
    Those are two of my favorites also. Last time up, I had breakfast at the Tamarack Cafe in Inlet then walked across the street to stock up on donuts.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
      RE: Donuts in the Adirondacks Tue, 10/11/05 5:47 PM (permalink)
      I know the place, I used to live in Eagle Bay and Inlet....

RC51Mike

RE: Donuts in the Adirondacks Wed, 10/12/05 2:33 PM (permalink)
        Well, not in Inlet but Saranac Sourdough in Lake Placid is well worth the stop for breakfast. Eggs prepared in various ways featuring Oscar's smoked meats with your choice of their sourdough bread. Buckwheat pancakes and sourdough flapjacks with local maple syrup. Excellent coffee, nice folks, relaxed atmosphere. We were up for five days of kayaking and ate breakfast there everyday.

roossy90

RE: Donuts in the Adirondacks Fri, 11/11/05 6:15 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by RC51Mike

Well, not in Inlet but Saranac Sourdough in Lake Placid is well worth the stop for breakfast. Eggs prepared in various ways featuring Oscar's smoked meats with your choice of their sourdough bread. Buckwheat pancakes and sourdough flapjacks with local maple syrup. Excellent coffee, nice folks, relaxed atmosphere. We were up for five days of kayaking and ate breakfast there everyday.

Thanks for the tip... I will make a note for the next time I visit my buddies there, it sounds like its worth the drive. and what a beautiful drive....

RC51Mike

RE: Donuts in the Adirondacks Sat, 11/12/05 7:59 PM (permalink)
            Blue Moon in Saranac is also a breakfast favorite. While you're up there, Lake Placid Brewery has some excellent beers and passable food. Sit outside and check out Mirror Lake. Caribbean Cowboy was pretty good eclectic kind of place. Sort of panasian/caribbean. Desperados for Mexican also good. Go take a look around Lake Placid Lodge and act like you plan on bringing your wife up for your anniversary so they take you seriously. It's stunning. At least have a drink in the bar.

roossy90

RE: Donuts in the Adirondacks Tue, 11/15/05 6:50 PM (permalink)
              I think the last time I was there, I ate at Desparados and had the fajitas.. they were huge.....Were they open in 1995?
              I ate at some mexican place that was on the main drag, only going past the ice rink there and it was on the left side of the road...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com